U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 05:50 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,065,198 times

Advertisements

Glad to see a city in Georgia outside of Metro Atlanta set a goal of trying to bring higher paying jobs to their cities. You can't support a family on a job paying $10 an hour....

Quote:
A consensus among city leaders and economic development leaders in Rome and Floyd County is that the community needs to target new companies that pay in excess of $20 an hour to its workforce. Rome Floyd Chamber Director of Business and Industry Services Ken Wright said that kind of payroll is needed to attract new people willing to drive to work, or move to Rome to take a job.

Responding to a question from Rome Business Development committee Chairman Bill Irmscher about what the Chamber was doing for existing industries, Wright said the Chamber worked hard with International Paper and the Georgia Public Service Commission to bring a new 7.5 mile section of a 12-inch natural gas line to IP, enabling the company to convert from a coal-fired boiler to run the plant. Bill Edge at the Georgia PSC said the whole project is expected to cost in excess of $22 million.

Atlanta Gas Light will be the provider and anticipates extending the gas line along existing public rights of way. IP has informed the PSC that the service is needed by mid-2021.
City officials look at $20 an hour goal for new industry | Local News | northwestgeorgianews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 PM

3,284 posts, read 1,110,360 times
Good for Rome!

Certainly, other municipalities in GA (including in Metro Atlanta) can learn some lessons from them when it comes to courting high quality job growth.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,408 posts, read 39,758,015 times
Have you hired someone from Rome (or anywhere else in USA lately?)

As an employer / job creator... I expect employees to come to the table with value added skills and service. A $20 / hr employee is going to cost your business $40/ hr, so.... if they can deliver $40 / of of value to your company + a 6-10% profit margin, that is fine!

If they came out of the USA edu system and are standing around waiting for 'instruction' (As they have done for 12+ yrs).. that is not fine. If they cause you liability exposure by driving company vehicles and operating $500,000 assets... They better be very much higher skilled than "Joe Average", If they can't pass a drug test and sign their name on a paycheck (not uncommon)... We can't be babysitters as we exhaust $40 / hr.

If they miss a day / hour due to irresponsibility... they will be unemployed.
That is the cost of managing a job creating business.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:46 AM

1,923 posts, read 781,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Have you hired someone from Rome (or anywhere else in USA lately?)

As an employer / job creator... I expect employees to come to the table with value added skills and service. A $20 / hr employee is going to cost your business $40/ hr, so.... if they can deliver $40 / of of value to your company + a 6-10% profit margin, that is fine!

If they came out of the USA edu system and are standing around waiting for 'instruction' (As they have done for 12+ yrs).. that is not fine. If they cause you liability exposure by driving company vehicles and operating $500,000 assets... They better be very much higher skilled than "Joe Average", If they can't pass a drug test and sign their name on a paycheck (not uncommon)... We can't be babysitters as we exhaust $40 / hr.

If they miss a day / hour due to irresponsibility... they will be unemployed.
That is the cost of managing a job creating business.
I don't know the behind the scenes of management experience but being realistic here... $20 Hourly is still fairly low compared to the average cost of living. Its doable, but its not like they're breaking the bank at that salary. You sound like your expectations are slightly too high. $20 Hourly back when I was making that salary bought just that, averaged skilled employees in that field, some needing training, some completely without degrees and/or even GED's, others having a clue...and the ones who had a clue didn't stay long. I'm in IT, so maybe its different for manning machinery, but I went into a press with absolutely no beforehand experience at $18 an hour when I was a teenager...sooo...not sure that I can completely agree with all of this. The expectations you're looking for I personally never saw enforced until after passing the $70k year mark (aprox 35 Hourly)

Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 PM

107 posts, read 83,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I don't know the behind the scenes of management experience but being realistic here... $20 Hourly is still fairly low compared to the average cost of living. Its doable, but its not like they're breaking the bank at that salary. You sound like your expectations are slightly too high. $20 Hourly back when I was making that salary bought just that, averaged skilled employees in that field, some needing training, some completely without degrees and/or even GED's, others having a clue...and the ones who had a clue didn't stay long. I'm in IT, so maybe its different for manning machinery, but I went into a press with absolutely no beforehand experience at $18 an hour when I was a teenager...sooo...not sure that I can completely agree with all of this. The expectations you're looking for I personally never saw enforced until after passing the $70k year mark (aprox 35 Hourly)
I couldn't rep you so great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or