Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well said.

It was a lot easier if you were high school educated and not Black.
This is why I prefer not to live in the 1960s. This actually started because someone mentioned that everything got screwed up since the 1960s and that is why the South is Republican. I had to ask said person how things got screwed up. So far, no answer from that particular person.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:44 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Ideally, the goal is to have a 1960s economy with 2010s (soon to be 2020s) social standards.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM

834 posts, read 1,016,332 times
Not being able to walk in to a local plant or shop and get a job has NOTHING to do with baby boomers, but everything to do with no middle-class and homeless people taking over entire states..

Old 05-23-2019, 05:05 PM

145 posts, read 93,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Not being able to walk in to a local plant or shop and get a job has NOTHING to do with baby boomers, but everything to do with no middle-class and homeless people taking over entire states..
What?

Which states have the homeless entirely taken over?

Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post

Which states have the homeless entirely taken over?
California. Homeless all over. I expected to see some, but never expected to see folks sleeping on the sidewalk in front of the main Disney entrance in Anaheim. It's a sad sad thing to see.....

Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
California. Homeless all over. I expected to see some, but never expected to see folks sleeping on the sidewalk in front of the main Disney entrance in Anaheim. It's a sad sad thing to see.....

Right, but if you use that metric, then since Downtown Athens is full of homeless people, they've taken over the entire state.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:08 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I would argue against the sixties posts here.. I think displacement in the labor industry is what killed all the rural towns and middle-class and not what the average baby boomer did in the seventies and eighties, or the gold standard..

I lived in nothing but working class neighborhoods in Georgia and North Carolina and still remember what everyone did for a living.. Truck Driving is the only career still left from that era and it's paying half what it did, and all those towns are now prime real estate packed with hideous planned communities...
NAFTA was a major cause of small rural towns manufacturing being gutted. I grew up in Ohio, saw almost all of the light manufacturing pack up & move 5 miles across the border. My brother worked for a company who made generators, they first moved the two Ohio plants down to Mexico & closed the final one in Wisconsin the following year, this was 600 jobs. This was repeated several thousand times.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Weighing on this thread for the 1st time, I must point out that I view the thread title as being misleading at best but perhaps based on a fallacy & thus seriously flawed. I'm surprised there has not been a healthy slew of responses that suggested that it be modified by the o.p.

What evidence has been provided that in 2019 (in particular) there was a a "mass migration" of "northern conservatives" to Georgia in that specific year? I just don't get where the op is coming from with a title of that nature. If it happened, please provide links to support the claim of a "mass migration" in 2019 & that it largely consisted of "northern conservatives".

Old 05-24-2019, 10:16 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Weighing on this thread for the 1st time, I must point out that I view the thread title as being misleading at best but perhaps based on a fallacy & thus seriously flawed. I'm surprised there has not been a healthy slew of responses that suggested that it be modified by the o.p.

What evidence has been provided that in 2019 (in particular) there was a a "mass migration" of "northern conservatives" to Georgia in that specific year? I just don't get where the op is coming from with a title of that nature. If it happened, please provide links to support the claim of a "mass migration" in 2019 & that it largely consisted of "northern conservatives".

Hi, I see it's your first time on the internet.

Let me explain about "click-bait" used in titling things. It's some over-the-top and/or shocking statement intended to cause a viewer, such as yourself, to go further than just the title. This tactic came into existence as a way to increase ad revenue for "news" type sites, but has been co-oped by those who fall for the tactic as a means to try and garner more attention for themselves/their opinions.

You know when you're shopping for an item, perusing through a classifieds section and see something like a beautiful 1963 Corvette listed for $1,000? You know that the asking price is unreasonable, it's too good to be true. Well, the same filter can be applied to titles. Anything that's claiming something you Know is outlandish and unsubstantiated can simply be dismissed outright. No need to put any further thought or effort into it. The reason is that if the person who's making the cry for attention didn't go ahead and provide any semblance of evidence in the first place, you're Never going to cajole them into doing so. Doesn't matter how much you post. We will go ahead and ignore the reports available about efforts to change a persons opinion only pushing them further into that opinion. On the contrary, by posting you are Directly feeding the need for that individuals attention grab, they get their notification fix (and dopamine release ~ oh yeah, this is addiction driven when not financially driven).

There's only one fix for this. Don't post to things that are outlandish. Yes, I know, the "at large" population will ALWAYS post and feed these trolls. Just like the "at large" population will fall for phone telemarketers and scammer, and email scammers, and snail mail scammers ~ which is why those things STILL exist. But, every little bit helps, you never know where the threshold of "not worth the effort" exists for any given troll and every troll that doesn't post counts towards a better overall user experience.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:31 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Thank you for your wise viewpoint & sage advice! I never would have considered click bait as a factor here. In fact I just a moment ago had to go look the term up in my Webster's Dictionary.

My point in finally posting on the thread was due to a sense of amazement that the thread had been this long-lived & that in 4 pages of responses NOBODY had thought to put a stake in the heart of the thread &/or suggest that it be closed for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia