Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were is next hotspot for growth in georgia?
Augusta 83 32.68%
Columbus 86 33.86%
Macon 38 14.96%
Savannah 83 32.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 PM

66 posts, read 208,797 times

Advertisements

Macon and Columbus hasn't been around long enough to have the type of recognition. That's why the metro areas aren't as large as the older cities. it will take a decade or two for them to get that. Macon and Columbus has it nationally but not internationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyarmonG View Post
Macon and Columbus hasn't been around long enough to have the type of recognition. That's why the metro areas aren't as large as the older cities. it will take a decade or two for them to get that. Macon and Columbus has it nationally but not internationally.
No disrespect to either city, but Macon and Columbus barely have regional recognition, much less national recognition. Outside of Georgia and parts of Alabama--and maybe even some places in Georgia--if you don't say "Columbus, Georgia," people will automatically think you're referring to Ohio's capital city.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No disrespect to either city, but Macon and Columbus barely have regional recognition, much less national recognition. Outside of Georgia and parts of Alabama--and maybe even some places in Georgia--if you don't say "Columbus, Georgia," people will automatically think you're referring to Ohio's capital city.
Well I not sure what your point is for saying that but What other city in Ga beside Atlanta does....... not even Savannah.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Trust me, Savannah is known far and wide. They don't have an International Airport and $300 hotel rooms for the fun of it.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Well I not sure what your point is for saying that
It might help to see the post that I was responding to that was wrapped in quotes above my response.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Trust me, Savannah is known far and wide. They don't have an International Airport and $300 hotel rooms for the fun of it.
Well far and wide Must just be in the most southern states because people pass Mississippi to west, Tennessee to north and South Carolina to NE, would ask you HuH? "Where is that"? If you mention any other city in Ga Beside ATL... Its not like Savannah is a New Orleans, Daytona, West palm, Miami or some huge vacation Spot....... Most of the people who visit Savannah are retirees and old couples from the south. Its just an Old historic city that happens to be near the ocean with a seaport.......Plus most of the beaches near Savannah are private. and the last time i check i never saw hotel line up along Savannah coast, like you see in other huge and well-know vacation spots, even Panama city has more reconigition for travel and hotels than Savannah.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It might help to see the post that I was responding to that was wrapped in quotes above my response.
I understand what you were "trying" to say, but it seem as if you where implying that Macon and Columbus has less reconigition than any of the other 2nd tier Ga cities.... And MY question: what's was your point?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Well far and wide Must just be in the most southern states because people pass Mississippi to west, Tennessee to north and South Carolina to NE, would ask you HuH? "Where is that"? If you mention any other city in Ga Beside ATL... Its not like Savannah is a New Orleans, Daytona, West palm, Miami or some huge vacation Spot....... Most of the people who visit Savannah are retirees and old couples from the south. Its just an Old historic city that happens to be near the ocean with a seaport.......Plus most of the beaches near Savannah are private. and the last time i check i never saw hotel line up along Savannah coast, like you see in other huge and well-know vacation spots, even Panama city has more reconigition for travel and hotels than Savannah.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Savannah is internationallly known, and draws tourists from around the world.

Ever since the book and movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, tourism has exploded down there. Now, with Paula Deen's huge popularity, it is just increasing.

Locals don't wait in line for two hours to eat at her restaurant, those are tourists lined up. And the last time I saw a busload of Japanese pulling up to River Street, I doubt they were retirees, and they certainly were NOT from the South.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Panama City and Daytona are both nowhere near the level of Savannah. If you don't believe it, look up the air service from both and then compare it to Savannah's flight schedule.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
The November 2008 issue of Condé Nast Traveler magazine celebrates the 21th annual Readers' Choice Awards where Savannah was ranked 8th among U.S. Cities. (http://www.savannahvisit.com/media_pr.asp?id=77 - broken link)

Savannah was ranked No. 9 on Travel + Leisure’s list of Top Ten Cities in the Continental U.S. and Canada, according to the magazine’s 2008 World’s Best Awards readers’ survey. (http://www.savannahvisit.com/media_pr.asp?id=67 - broken link)

Savannah gets these kinds of rankings year after year.

Unlike other cities you mentioned that just happen to be located in tropical-like climate zones, people come to Savannah FOR Savannah--for its history, culture, cuisine, built environment, etc. Anybody can throw up some condos on the beach in a place where the temperature is balmy year-round, but what's the allure besides that? Savannah has a sense of place and identity that simply can't be replicated.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:33 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
I work in a hotel in downtown Savannah and I can tell you first hand Savannah is an internationally known city. I speak with people from all over the world. Just two days ago I helped check in an Australian couple. Not too long before that were some people from Germany. The list goes on and on.
Check your data before you start talking about things you aren't knowledgeable about.

PS: You must also remember the Savannah College of Art & Design. If you want to research how much Savannah is internationally known, start here and read about where a lot of these students are coming from. Hint: Compared to some of the places, New York, Toronto, Boston & Los Angeles are pretty close to Savannah in proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia