U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were is next hotspot for growth in georgia?
Augusta 83 32.94%
Columbus 84 33.33%
Macon 38 15.08%
Savannah 83 32.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,338,622 times

Advertisements

There will be no other MAJOR city in Georgia... atleast not like Atlanta. And I frankly don't see any 2nd tier city in Georgie becoming as big as Birmingham, Raleigh or Nashville either.
Savannah, being a deep water ocean port and at the junction of two interstates has the most potential to be a major city, but I don't see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM

643 posts, read 1,040,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
There will be no other MAJOR city in Georgia... atleast not like Atlanta. And I frankly don't see any 2nd tier city in Georgie becoming as big as Birmingham, Raleigh or Nashville either.
Savannah, being a deep water ocean port and at the junction of two interstates has the most potential to be a major city, but I don't see it happening.

Well I have to agree that there will not be another city in Ga like Atlanta, but I can see one of them becoming a Birmingham, Raleigh or Nashville.... I think Macon has more potential because of:

• It's centralized GA location,close distance to Atlanta, Robins AFB and proposed G-RAMP project; its also serves as MGA Regional Economic Hub and core city.
  • It's has more interstate access than any other Ga city other than Atlanta(I-75,16 &475). Also easy access to the Savannah's port from I-16 and rail.
  • Macon is a crossroad for Rail and it has the 2nd largest rail yard in southeast(Brosnan Yard).
  • Proposed Gov't high speed rail plans for stops in Macon, and the proposed Ga ATL-Macon commuter Rail plans; Also proposed I-14 if it becomes a reality.
  • Middle Regional Airport-which Under TBI Management to increase traffic and more flights to other cities other than ATL and as a reliever airport for Hartsfield-Jackson.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,338,622 times
Being central has really nothing to do with it. The problem with Macon is that it is just too close to Atlanta to become a major city in its own right. Atlanta is just such a strong magnet.. I don't see Macon being able to overcome that.
Savannah is also at the junction of 2 interstates (same as macon) but has a major port. Savannah's airport is by far and wide the 2nd businest in the state after Atlanta.. no other city in georgia comes close. Plus many people find coastal cities as attractive places to live. There is a reason why most of our major cities are on the coasts.
But as I said before, I don't see Savannah becoming a major city, and somehow I don't think the residents of Savannah want it to become one.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Being central has really nothing to do with it. The problem with Macon is that it is just too close to Atlanta to become a major city in its own right. Atlanta is just such a strong magnet.. I don't see Macon being able to overcome that.
Savannah is also at the junction of 2 interstates (same as macon) but has a major port. Savannah's airport is by far and wide the 2nd businest in the state after Atlanta.. no other city in georgia comes close. Plus many people find coastal cities as attractive places to live. There is a reason why most of our major cities are on the coasts.
But as I said before, I don't see Savannah becoming a major city, and somehow I don't think the residents of Savannah want it to become one.
If you had any knowledge of growth you would know that having a Centralized location as a lot to do with it and it has been said over and over that Macon's location makes its potential so high....... Macon is far enough away to have its own recongination rights; For Example Daytona Ohio is Located close and between two major Ohio cities Columbus and Cincinnati and it seem to be holding it's own.That one of the reason why the MGA area has seen so much growth in Bibb, Monroe, Jones, Peach and Houston county was named one of the fastest growing counties in Ga and the US. The Only thing that Savannah has that the others don't is a International airport and the seaport and it still has not taken off in growth.....Also If the Coast was so attractive to live then WHY is Augusta Metro the Largest in POP after ATL... Also most of the Major Cities that are on the Coast has more than being near the water to thank for their success. Macon Interstates(I-475,75 & 16) run right though the city giving various areas access like in ATL, unlike Savannah and Augusta which theirs by pass the city or runs outside....For an example I-95 runs north-south just west of the city and I-16 terminates in downtown Savannah. Augusta I-20 runs to the west of the city.

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 04-17-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,299,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
There are some people it's just a waste of time trying to thin and prove because their brains are like a empty glass jar.....
Your grammar speaks for itself.

And as far as Macon's advantages that you listed, Macon has had most of those advantages for years now and it still hasn't taken off.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

And as far as Macon's advantages that you listed, Macon has had most of those advantages for years now and it still hasn't taken off.

Lets not talk about whats clearly explains "YOU" .......And it's surely not brightest

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 04-17-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

Well Macon has experienced more growth than Savannah with last 4 years and I can provide that info.....

Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,578,414 times
The main reason Augusta, Macon, Columbus, and Savannah have not become major metro's is because like most other southern towns they have not historically had any ambition to do so. Unlike Atlanta which has for many years been led by ambitious boosterism types similar to major cities up North.

In Ohio even little low self esteem Toledo blows all these cities away when it comes to population, industry and commerce but historically Toledo has been led by people that were committed to making it an important city comaprable to it's neighbors like Chicago and Detroit.

Back during that same time these Georgia cities were content to be quite antebellum type pretty little genteel towns. Southerns back in the day really didn't care much for industry and commerce besides the agricultural type.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:40 PM

250 posts, read 530,125 times
Come visit Augusta you'll see we have the ambition to become a major metro. Construction, more consruction, and more construction in Augusta.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,299,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Well Macon has experienced more growth than Savannah with last 4 years and I can provide that info.....
That doesn't make it the next big city in Georgia.

I think Galounger pretty much said it. And that mentality certainly extends beyond Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or