U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Were is next hotspot for growth in georgia?
Augusta 73 31.74%
Columbus 77 33.48%
Macon 36 15.65%
Savannah 73 31.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,407,339 times
Augusta, Macon and Columbus may seem fast paced when compared to places like Ludowici.. but none of them have a "hustle and bustle" feel of a big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM

6,494 posts, read 6,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Downtown Atlanta is pretty dead after 6pm.. it doesn't feel all that fast-paced to me, for a big city.
*Sigh*

On what planet is Atlanta not fast paced?

You do realize that a large section of Downtown exists solely for the State and Federal government offices, right? Another large part of it exists solely for business offices. There are more people in Downtown during the day than at night because they just work there. It's like saying "I went to New York City and Wall Street was so DEAD after 6pm" and basing all you know about New York City life on that. Same thing with L.A., it's downtown is dead after night because it's mostly a business center, but who in the world would base their opinion of L.A. city life around it's downtown?

Not all of Downtown is dead after 6pm, particularly the Peachtree Center section and the area around Centennial Park/CNN Center, but that's a moot point. The entertainment districts where you will find Atlanta's city/night life are in Midtown, Atlantic Station, Buckhead, L5P, Virginia-Highlands, Poncey Highlands, East Atlanta, Castleberry Hill, and tons of more areas around the city.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 PM

12,791 posts, read 18,917,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
*Sigh*

On what planet is Atlanta not fast paced?

You do realize that a large section of Downtown exists solely for the State and Federal government offices, right? Another large part of it exists solely for business offices. There are more people in Downtown during the day than at night because they just work there. It's like saying "I went to New York City and Wall Street was so DEAD after 6pm" and basing all you know about New York City life on that. Same thing with L.A., it's downtown is dead after night because it's mostly a business center, but who in the world would base their opinion of L.A. city life around it's downtown?

Not all of Downtown is dead after 6pm, particularly the Peachtree Center section and the area around Centennial Park/CNN Center, but that's a moot point. The entertainment districts where you will find Atlanta's city/night life are in Midtown, Atlantic Station, Buckhead, L5P, Virginia-Highlands, Poncey Highlands, East Atlanta, Castleberry Hill, and tons of more areas around the city.
I don't think that lilmusket considers these areas 'downtown'. I know I don't. He specifically said DOWNTOWN, so what's the problem?

Old 07-16-2009, 04:51 PM

6,494 posts, read 6,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't think that lilmusket considers these areas 'downtown'. I know I don't. He specifically said DOWNTOWN, so what's the problem?
Because I perceived that lilmusket and king_x were insinuating that because Downtown mostly empties out after dark that it is synonymous with ALL of Atlanta being "slow paced". If I am incorrect, my bad, but...

Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Because I perceived that lilmusket and king_x were insinuating that because Downtown mostly empties out after dark that it is synonymous with ALL of Atlanta being "slow paced". If I am incorrect, my bad, but...
I didn't interpret it that way. His comments seemed to be limited to downtown, and his perception is a common one.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Augusta, Macon and Columbus may seem fast paced when compared to places like Ludowici.. but none of them have a "hustle and bustle" feel of a big city.
LOL I googled 'Ludowici Entertainment' and the best they could come up with were the local TV listings and a movie multiplex in Hinesville. Sounds about right.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,407,339 times
Ludowici is my favorite Georgia city name.. I always use it in examples. It was made infamous in the 1970s for their speed trap.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM

128 posts, read 214,774 times
What is a PUD?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,124,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I've told some people I'm from Georgia and the first thing they ask me is.."What part of Atlanta?"
really annoying...
So? What's the big deal? More than half the State DOES live here. Just correct them, tell them where you do live, and move on.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,124,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmandr View Post
What is a PUD?
Planned Unit Development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia