Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,601 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can someone please tell me the truth about the Georgia job market. I was down there in March, and went to a job fair which was really crowded. With the state of the economy, I am wondering if there has been a decrease in opportunities in Georgia. I am getting overwhelmed and nervous, as my resume still has my New York address on it, because I don't want to lie to any prospective employer but at the same time, I am afraid of moving down there and not being able to find a job. My work experience is in customer service and payroll, and I don't have a college degree; however, I have been a supervisor at a reputable insurance company, and would like to know the best way of landing a job in Georgia. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:55 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
The best way to land a job in those fields is to live here- there's such an abundance of people with the skills for thouse who already live here that most employers won't even bother with someone out of state- they can have someone hired and working before you can get down for an interview.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:36 AM

9 posts, read 18,597 times
FORROSE13, BobKovacs is not telling the truth.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art_CH View Post
FORROSE13, BobKovacs is not telling the truth.
You're replying to a post that's nearly a year old. My statement was true then, and it's even more true now, since there are even more candidates available for almost any position. But by all means- if I'm wrong, please tell us "the truth".....

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORROSE13 View Post
Hello,

Can someone please tell me the truth about the Georgia job market. I was down there in March, and went to a job fair which was really crowded. With the state of the economy, I am wondering if there has been a decrease in opportunities in Georgia. I am getting overwhelmed and nervous, as my resume still has my New York address on it, because I don't want to lie to any prospective employer but at the same time, I am afraid of moving down there and not being able to find a job. My work experience is in customer service and payroll, and I don't have a college degree; however, I have been a supervisor at a reputable insurance company, and would like to know the best way of landing a job in Georgia. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Well to be honest with it very hard to land a job, especially in Ga even Atlanta. I have over 6 years of Auto insurance claims at GEICO, Account Management, leadership and Sales experience... I have been looking for a new job for over 3 years and have not been successful even in the great city of Atlanta. So i have found that doing a lot of extensive networking is best, Face book is a really good source to network because a lot of large companies who's recruiters, managers and directors use it to network with students. I would definitely advise you NOT to move to GA or any other state without a job because in this day and time a lucky chance is slim to none right now. Verizon has been a very successfully and steady growing company with jobs all over Ga and a corporate campus in the Atlanta area. you should give them a holla, but i can tell you they are fierce as well and gives no breaks.

Also i notice that you have insurance experience, well I'm not sure if Macon, Ga would interest you but GEICO's largest regional office/campus is located there which employees about 4,000 people. They are hiring for Sales, Claims and CSR. But they are a very strict goal oriented company, take it from me, i spent 6 years there.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
This brings up a point about this site. Why are so many very old and dated posts not deleted. The system needs purging. I have to look at the original post date and too often I find it is ancient history. Why is this?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
This brings up a point about this site. Why are so many very old and dated posts not deleted. The system needs purging. I have to look at the original post date and too often I find it is ancient history. Why is this?
I agree.. I see this all the time.. where someone asked a question over a year ago... got a few responses and I'm sure had their question satisfactorily answered (And many of these questions are time sensitive.. such as "I'm moving in the next 2 months, which place in Georgia is best and why?"...so what benefit is it for someone to post on such a thread a year later?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
It's nice that they're kept around since much of the older information is still useful, but I wish this software were smart enough to TELL you if the posting you're responding to is more than x days (or months) old. Or somehow indicate by color in the thread how old the thread is.

The tiny little unobtrusive date field in these forums is very easy to completely miss...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia