Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times

Advertisements

Would you consider Lumpkin part of South Georgia? (no, not Lumpkin county)

If so, that town looked quite depressed when I stopped through there last year. It’s near Providence Canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Has anyone been to Thomasville recently? It could certainly not be considered depressed, but it's always been my favorite South Georgia town and I haven't been in years. Hope they're doing well.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Yeah, Americus went through a rough patch back in the 80s and early 90s (gosh, what town doesn't go through a rough patch?). But recently, it has attracted new businesses and residents. There are many more restaurants and mom and pops than there were 20 years ago. There is a new hospital (thanks to a tornado 10 years or so ago) and the downtown area is spruced up. Personally, I like it!

Just drove thru there today. The two main drags have been repaved and believe me the state wouldn't do it if the town was dead. Gas at Shell is $1.95; G&G $1.99 and Circle K (ex Flash Foods) is $1.89

Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Has anyone been to Thomasville recently? It could certainly not be considered depressed, but it's always been my favorite South Georgia town and I haven't been in years. Hope they're doing well.
Thomasville and Americus are both looking good.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:59 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Thomasville and Americus are both looking good.
Thanks, arjay!

Old 05-02-2021, 02:25 PM

19 posts, read 94,125 times
Thumbs up Love our beautiful rural Moultrie home!

Thomasville is where we shop for groceries because we adore Publix! It's a scenic ride from Moultrie.

We have a peach of a home in Moultrie, Ga with its own pond, shooting range, farm ready acreage, and a house with three master suites. I wish we didn't have to sell it because the cost of homes with acreage are going to be red hot in the next two years. Biden is inflating the money supply massively so our little slice of heaven will make it easy to have chickens, pigs, sheep, etc. along with growing organic veggies. I think we'll stock the pond with more catfish because they eat anything. Had to shoot an alligator that wandered up here from FL because he was eating my inventory, LOL!

Plus, the pandemic and nationwide riots will result in many folks evacuating to the quiet and safety of rural homes. There are lots of nice modern neighborhoods with young families and plenty of rural estates for those who value more privacy and room to breath.

I love the brand new high school because they have a huge sports campus for tennis, football, and track.

The local crime rates have plummeted over the last few years. Our cops are decent people and kids are more rowdy than anything else.

Now we're too old to keep such a big empty home. Sigh...

Old 05-03-2021, 11:38 AM

396 posts, read 417,266 times
Alamo. Wheeler County in General...if you consider that S. GA.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,235,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Been losing population since 2000. Blame Lee county.

Blame Albany/Dougherty County leaders. Violent crime in Albany is out of control, property taxes are probably the highest in the state of Georgia, the Flint River is overrun with sewage, and the Dougherty County Hospital Authority has aided and abetted a failed health system monopoly (Phoebe).

And the school system. Dougherty School System ranks 172nd - out of 196. Lee County is in the top 15.

We moved to Lee County in 1998 because we were planning to have a child. Due to its proximity to Albany, Lee County is no longer immune to Albany's failures. We left Georgia for Florida in 2020.

If you drew a line through Georgia north of Macon, pretty much every city below that line is depressed.

Edit: I just realized that you were referencing Americus, not Albany. Oops.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:18 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,235,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We were making routine trips to Thomasville before moving to Florida. I think Thomasville has more going for it than many other cities in South Georgia, but I would not necessarily call it a thriving city.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM

782 posts, read 1,355,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Would you consider Lumpkin part of South Georgia? (no, not Lumpkin county)

If so, that town looked quite depressed when I stopped through there last year. It’s near Providence Canyon.

I second the vote for Lumpkin; It has gone way down hill from where it was back in the day.
Everything has left there including Historic Westville, restaurants, dealerships, etc.
Now it seems like a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia