Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times

Advertisements

I think that MSA is an outdated and confusing concept..and that's why businesses rarely use it.. instead businsses look at a market or trade area..sometimes this is congruent with an MSA..but not always.
The problem with the MSA concept is that it uses counties as the primary measuring unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:12 PM

177 posts, read 221,497 times
Houston county is not a part of Macon`s MSA...neither is Laurens.

You guys are really scrapping the bottom trying to make Macon look better than it is....For God sakes, Dublin (Laurens county) is an hour away from Macon and stands on its own 2 feet (like Warner Robins).....

Old 05-06-2008, 03:36 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelo View Post
Houston county is not a part of Macon`s MSA...neither is Laurens.

You guys are really scrapping the bottom trying to make Macon look better than it is....For God sakes, Dublin (Laurens county) is an hour away from Macon and stands on its own 2 feet (like Warner Robins).....
No ones trying to make Macon look better, and Dublin is not an hour from Macon its only 40 miles away so what speed were you driving 10mph. The last time i checked an hour drive was at least 80 miles. I never knew cities use feet to stand anyway....

Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
I think that MSA is an outdated and confusing concept..and that's why businesses rarely use it.. instead businsses look at a market or trade area..sometimes this is congruent with an MSA..but not always.
The problem with the MSA concept is that it uses counties as the primary measuring unit.
I totally agree with you, thats why there is so confusion made about the cities metros. The true reflection is not being represented by the metro calculations that why i strongly believe the US census reports will soon change. Because any one who is lives or is from MGA knows that Macon supports and has strong economical ties to Peach, Bibb, Houston, Crawford, Jones, Monroe, Baldwin, wilkson and even (Dublin) Laurens County.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post

Some businesses do use trade areas. But most still use msa's.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 PM

177 posts, read 221,497 times
Yerocal, please stand up when you speak, your voice has to be muffled because you are definately speaking out of your rear end.

Dublin is 40 miles away? You are crazy...LOL.....Macon supports Dublin and Houston county? LOL...No, as I said, Dublin stands on its on......and the base supports Houston county.
There is no confusion...the bottom line is you are mentioning those very nice counties so Macon looks more attractive.....the sad thing is that Macon is such a crappy place, it actually only brings any other county mentioned in the same sentence with it down. And whether you like it or not, you Macon fans on here are a minority...which is why your mayors plans for annexation have failed miserably.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
The counties included in the Macon MSA are Bibb, Crawford, Jones, Monroe and Twiggs.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 AM

913 posts, read 2,985,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
No ones trying to make Macon look better, and Dublin is not an hour from Macon its only 40 miles away so what speed were you driving 10mph. The last time i checked an hour drive was at least 80 miles. I never knew cities use feet to stand anyway....
It is actually 54 miles away. That's a good distance.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 AM

178 posts, read 499,455 times
When leaving Dublin on I-16 headed towards Macon, there is a sign that says Macon 45 miles. You'd have to add on just a few more miles because it's a couple miles outside of Dublin. You can get to Dublin from Macon in 45 or 50 mins. Macon does not support Dublin, and it might be a bit long to consider it a part of Macon's MSA. I can understand using Warner Robins to try and make the "Macon Area" look better, but what's wrong with that? After all it is the Macon-Warner Robins Area, why wouldn't someone want to draw attention to a nicer,faster growing part of their area?

On another note, It's delusional to think someone would mention Dublin with reason being to make Macon look better, as far as % of a city being crappy and ghetto, Dublin wouldn't be that much better than Macon.

It's pretty ridiculous that Houston County isn't in Macon's MSA though.

I also think Milledgeville/Baldwin County(45,000+) should be in Macon's MSA at 30 miles away.

Coming from East Macon it's a straight shot to Milledgeville and actually you can go from East Macon to Milledgeville in about the same time as you can get from East Macon to Warner Robins even though the mileage is shorter to Warner Robins. By the time you go through the series of traffic lights in East Macon, get on and off the interstate, and go through a couple of more lights once you get off the interstate to get on 247, it's about the same as far as time traveled.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelo View Post
Yerocal, please stand up when you speak, your voice has to be muffled because you are definately speaking out of your rear end.

Dublin is 40 miles away? You are crazy...LOL.....Macon supports Dublin and Houston county? LOL...No, as I said, Dublin stands on its on......and the base supports Houston county.
There is no confusion...the bottom line is you are mentioning those very nice counties so Macon looks more attractive.....the sad thing is that Macon is such a crappy place, it actually only brings any other county mentioned in the same sentence with it down. And whether you like it or not, you Macon fans on here are a minority...which is why your mayors plans for annexation have failed miserably.
Well it seems that everything you say come from your rear end because it always a bunch crap. consistently trying to find ways to shoot down anything that would point in a positive direction for Macon. Sometimes you should consider channeling some of your negativity and hate for Macon into providing some useful or informative, just as majority of use do.

What difference would it make to try and use Dublin to boost Macon, it would make more sense to focus hot growth areas like W Robins or Monroe county instead of Dublin. If you go out side of this area or out of the state most of the surrounding counties and cites are going to be recognized by being outside of Macon. Regardless of what you say Macon still provides a strong economic support for MGA and the base can't employee the entire city of W.Robins....

So genus What other choices do they have other than to travel to Macon.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?
"And whether you like it or not, you Macon fans on here are a minority...which is why your mayors plans for annexation have failed miserably". ???????????????????? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPLY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia