U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM

2,788 posts, read 6,946,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Georgia may have the numbers that suggest diversity, but when you look at the statistics of who lives by whom, and who attends school with whom, Georgia is still one of the most segregated states in the country.
Fist, where are the statistics in regard to Georgia being the most segregated in the nation or one of the most?
Have you ever lived in NJ or the boro's of NYC?
If you want segregation in regard to race try either of those areas. Granted the lily whites from NJ and NYC try to talk all the inclusive hype as long as it does not include them. Spent a decade there and can tell you first hand it beats GA hands down.

When one looks at the Atlanta metro area and surrounding burb's integration is there. Granted, there are exceptions in regard to inner city Atlanta and areas like B'Head, however, DeKalb, Gwinnett etc., are very well diverse.

Segregated areas in the remainder of the state is mostly by population location. For example, Southern GA vs. Northern GA. Same can be said for Alabama and Mississippi when it comes to demographic breakdown.

As we continue to become a more mobile society the entire racial breakdown theory will hopefully breakdown. Then we can move forward and never have the subject enter the frey

Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Consider the erstwhile enclaves of Johns Creek or Milton. They're now incorporated cities within the county of Fulton. But it's not enough to be considered part of Fulton County. Residents from Sandy Springs to Alpharetta felt the need to distinguish themselves as North Fulton County. But the burning desire to seceed doesn't stop there. Many of the residents of the above-mentioned cities (as well as many within the Buckhead community) want to drain as much tax monie$ from Fulton as possible and then proceed to incorporate themselves into Milton County.

The reasons for doing this are repeated so often that they no longer have real meaning. But the devastating results are always the same--that is, for those who didn't seceed.
Oh boy! Im gonna get in trouble here.

For starters I think the succession agenda is for 2 reasons. First is the frustration of some fiscal conservative locals being taxed at the highest millage rate in the state due to the gosh awful management of Fulton County.

Next is what I call the Yuppie Factor. We have the same thing going on in Gwinnett County believe it or not. It's called Hamilton Mill.
First Hamilton Mill was previously located in a small town of Hog Mountain, GA.
When the developer came in he could not fathom a "redneck" name of Hog Mountain. Aw Gosh! Thus he created Hamilton Mill and slid into 30019.
Spring forward now with all the transplanted Yuppies. Being in 30019 they have to list Dacula as their town, Oh my Gosh!!! Dacula!!! That sounds like Dracula,,,,,ewww! Now they are trying to create the town of Hamilton Mill, GA. Heck, it even reached a church FKA as Hog Mountain Baptist now Hamilton Mill Baptist. So what if they lost much of their native members for doing something so trivial as to bow down the material crowd.

Johns Creek and Alpha are in the same boat with this crew. This is the new up and coming racism in America. Those who feel they are better by their address, big home, and giant fuel sucking SUV's. Well, as long as their Visa card works and Treasuries don't go to high to place their interest only mortgage into foreclosure.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:15 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,738,393 times
You could start here:
<http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cacheDoJFlNDj6sJ:frp.aysps.gsu.edu/sjoquist/works/racial%2520segregation.pdf+residential+segregation +georgia&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8>, but I have to warn you that it's a dry read. Second, I could make two phone calls to a couple of realtors, give them the respective zip codes and have them tell me which are the Black areas and which are the White areas. You know that and I know what. We could also take a look at the population percentages in metro Atlanta--let's say from Peachtree City to Cumming, and from similar points east and west. For such a large overall Black population, the mix of folks in all of these cities and counties is shameful. It's either mostly Black or mostly White. Very little in between. Anyone with a degree of intellectual honesty and intellectual curiosity can see this for what it is. And it's not enough that NY and NJ do it too. Georgia, particularly metro Atlanta, is our responsibility.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph. More and more people of all stripes will place more of a premium on real and true diversity, so that maybe my kids won't have to worry about it.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:41 PM

81 posts, read 347,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Johns Creek and Alpha are in the same boat with this crew. This is the new up and coming racism in America. Those who feel they are better by their address, big home, and giant fuel sucking SUV's. Well, as long as their Visa card works and Treasuries don't go to high to place their interest only mortgage into foreclosure.
This really isn't racism, It think it could more accurately be called classism. Racism is a word that is thrown around so often I immediately become suspicious when I hear it.

I also think that "Hog Mountain" sounds cool. I'd like to live in a place called Hog Mountain.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Brennus View Post
This really isn't racism, It think it could more accurately be called classism. Racism is a word that is thrown around so often I immediately become suspicious when I hear it.

I also think that "Hog Mountain" sounds cool. I'd like to live in a place called Hog Mountain.
True, it is not racism. I prefer to call it elitism over classism. Classism is mostly those of "old money" the trust fund kids like the Kennedy's, Bush's, Rockefeller's, etc., the elitism groups today consist of house poor, leased SUV's, and Visa's to the max, though they want all to think they are one step above. Unfortunately, most are one step from being homeless.

I was in John's yesterday to check out the new Whole Foods store and was astonished by the elitism mostly due to customers, not employees, being rude and lacking courtesy, bouncing out to their Beemers, etc. Granted this is not a broad generalization, there were many regular folk there also.

IMHO I feel if I could take the credit card elitist and buy them for what they are worth and sell them for what they think their worth I would be a billionaire.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:53 PM

202 posts, read 701,926 times
[quote=Te amo no puedo pararme;232642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacksone View Post
1st of all, what does your name mean?

Its roughly "I love you I cant help myself" yes im a sensititve guy
No , it means " I love you and I can't stand up " , that can certainly be interpreted in many ways !!

By the way I am fluent in Spanish .

Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 PM

873 posts, read 1,678,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
The numbers are final through 2005 year end.
The guess according to the media centers for 2006 is an additional 129K for the 5 county Atlanta area with another 125K statewide at a minimum.
I apologise I didn't see this post until now. I understand now where the facts you got from.

This may be off topic, but would you happen to know where I can find the figures on in/out migration here in Atlanta (or Georgia)?

Old 12-30-2006, 09:04 PM

873 posts, read 1,678,279 times
Back to topic... From my experience, some black people in Adairsville, just outside Marietta (Atlanta's northwestern suburbs) were somewhat racists towards white and Hispanic.

I used to work in Cartersville in the retail business. My boss didn't like me and other co-workers, just because we weren't black. I was not the only one that experienced that, my mother had to experience that at her work.

So, racism shouldn't be a problem in and closer to the bigger counties like Fulton, Gwinnett, De Kalb, Cobb and Clayton.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:59 AM

63 posts, read 537,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Hola,

There is a thread called Racism/Georgia on page two of this forum and the thread itself is six pages long. You can find it here: Racism/Georgia

As someone who grew up in Texas, I know the racism there well, but I also know many people that are not racist. I can say the same for the DC area that I lived in for more than 10 years and I can say the same for Albuquerque where I live now. I'm contemplating a move to Atlanta and I do worry a bit but I really believe that the more open minded people that move to a place the better it can be and it also encourages the open minded people that are already there too.

For me I see the racism as worse in more rural areas and less in more of the urban areas --- that is a generalization but some truth there. Sometimes I think what is perceived as racism is more just not knowing other kinds of groups and cultures rather than having some specific antipathy towards a skin color or a group. Although of course overt nasty racism does indeed still exist in America. We haven't stamped it out yet. But I have hope.

BTW, interesting that you chose an Hispanic handle but say you are an Asian male. :-) (Just teasing.....)
The last statement you made is racist. You say you want to stamp out racism. It will never happen as long as we continually identify the races of people who we meet.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,165,205 times
Huh? I will just chalk this up to you not understanding the intent, or humor not coming across in the written form without body language, tone of voice etc.

I believe I've made enough posts in this forum for people to easily understand I condemn racism, and welcome and encourage and prefer diversity. I'll leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia