Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:59 PM

34 posts, read 470,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassysue View Post
Cordele is the Watermelen capital of the world
Americus has the same drug problems as Albany and Leesburg so
its a nicer town and that would be my pick if I had to live again
hope this helps
have a great day
Thanks so very much for your help CassySue. I have a few friend who are retired County Sheriffs that lives there. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 34,784 times
Do you think Lithonia is bad due to high crime or just because it's close to Atlanta? Aren't there some nice areas to live in Lithonia?

Old 02-05-2007, 05:08 AM

232 posts, read 992,975 times
# 1 Worst.....Savannah...Super high crime....Atlanta is actually much better.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 PM

16 posts, read 55,111 times
Default Agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I would disagree slightly and say there are 3 Georgias...Metro Atlanta, Savannah, and the rest of Georgia. Savannah is not quite like anything else. And to all the Atlanta-haters posting in this thread...there are somewhere around 5 million people who apparently disagree with you...
Have lived in the Atlanta metro area (Lilburn, kinda out in the sticks, to the east) for almost five years now. Concur with the above sentiment, though I'd say Athens deserves its own separate listing. Some would also say that Athens is just a very extended portion of metro Atlanta, but I don't think that's the case (it may be at some point in the foreseeable future, though).

I should admit to me being a Yankee, originally from South Florida and having spent years 18 through 31 of my life in G'ville, FL, where I attended school. Keep in mind my bias for preferring urban areas when reading my comments here.

Atlanta is a fun city which offers practically everything you can expect from a big city, with the biggest disadvantage being the reluctance to improve what is a flawed mass transit system. Figuring out your commute when deciding on where to live would be wise. I'm single w/o children, and didn't go to school around here, so I can't comment on what it's like trying to find good schooling for children. Also, I'm in a unique situation of house-sitting, so I haven't had to deal with renting/owning a place.

Savannah is fun, as well. Have visited Savannah over a dozen times and know a few people who moved there from Florida. The downtown/historic district offers a nightlife and activity you won't find anywhere else in GA other than Athens or Atlanta. Overall, Savannah seems to be much more hip and progressive than other areas of GA (keep in mind we're talking about Georgia, so 'progressive' is really relative here). Also, you're just two hours from Jacksonville and Charleston, SC (very nice city for day trips), and 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta.

Disadvantages? Outside of the downtown area, Savannah can be very sketchy. From what friends tell me, public school education isn't very good. Nearby Tybee Island offers beaches, but those beachers aren't that great. Nonetheless, better being on the coast than inland Georgia (other than Athens/Atlanta).

Athens is cool, and considered one of the best college towns in America. I've been there a few times, but really don't know anyone who lives there, so I can't give any specific details. It's widely considered one of the most progressive areas in GA, though. Athens is about an hour to 1 1/2 hour to Atlanta, depending on your specific destination.

The rest of GA? Ugh. Even the bigger cities (Columbus, Macon, etc)., which I've visited, are too small-town for me. I also know people who live or have lived in Columbus and Macon, and life just isn't very thrilling in either area.

Basically, if I couldn't live in Atlanta or Savannah, I just wouldn't live in Georgia.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 PM

10 posts, read 74,493 times
I hope union city is not the worst list.I plan on moving there

Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,288,483 times
What about Alpharetta forsyth county????? any input???

Old 02-08-2007, 08:36 AM

8 posts, read 63,062 times
South Georgia is the way to go!
I live in a small town of only 900 pop.
I work for the neighbor city of 6000 pop.
All friendly and loving people, little crime, sometimes
your neighbor knows more about you than you...haha
but that is a small price to pay for no smells, beautiful country side, and southern hospitality.
Worth County Georgia

Old 02-08-2007, 11:51 AM

105 posts, read 525,483 times
Default It all goes back to what you can tolerate

Some people like chicken and farms. Others like traffic and skylines. A good friend of mines lives in Albany and loves it. I on the otherhand would live there is I was offered a job with a high six-figure salary. My family loves Columbus and basically could live there all their lives. On the otherhand, I had to get out. Different tolerance levels. Actually I dont think Georgia is for me. Wherever you settle on just make sure its the best decision for you and your family.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 37,489 times
Default best cities in GA?

Can someone tell me more about Athens?

Old 02-10-2007, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 101,337 times
Hi,

You sound like a small town girl who does not need lots of malls, traffic, crime and noise! Also, since you are from CT, I would imagine that you are not looking for lots of humidity.

To me the 5 worst places in GA for you are:
5. in Atlanta,
4. just south or just north of Atlanta
3. just east or west of Atlanta
2. any town south of Atlanta (Heat and humidity)
1. the coast of Georgia

To my way of thinking, the 5 best places for you are all small towns in the Northeast Georgia mountains. We have many transplants from CT who say they feel like they are home here because we have mountains and change of seasons WITHOUT THE EXTREMES! They love our change of seasons, friendly people, great schools and low crime rate. We get an average of 3 inches of snow per year, and nature still has a home here.

5. Ellijay,Georgia
4. Blue Ridge, Georgia
3. Hiawassee, Georgia
2. Young Harris, Georgia
1. Blairsville, Georgia

Moderator cut: Removed

Sharron Lobman

Last edited by xxman777; 02-10-2007 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia