Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgirl View Post
DON'T MOVE TO BIBB!!!!!!!It is by far the worst place in Ga.And anyone that's been there can agree.I'm sure its sorta' like Detroit but I bet the law enforcement up there is WAAAY better than theirs.Last summer there was a young man working 3rd shift at a gas station is family ran and he was robbed and killed and all the sheriff said was "you shouldn't be out passed midnight anyway".Macon is worse in crime than Atlanta by population,that's saaad!!!
Here we go again with people and their delusions and misinformation. Bibb County, like any other majority urban county in GA, has some rough areas you want to avoid, but also plenty of other areas where life is perfectly fine. There are perfectly safe areas going in all directions in Bibb County. In North Bibb/North Macon you have several nice areas. Nothing out on Zebulon, Tom Hill, Forsyth Rd, Tucker Rd, etc. is like you're describing. It's nice out there. In West Bibb, there are nice areas going down Highway 80, like headed toward Lizella, and Lizella itself. In South Bibb, going out Hartley Bridge Rd, Rutland, etc. is nice. In East Bibb, if you go out by Geico, it can get rural, but there isnt anything "dangerous" about there.

Anyway, When you do the math and consider that the areas I mentioned above are all safe, in Bibb, and not counted as a part of Macon city limits you're talking about nearly 40% of the counties total population. Bibb County as a whole takes on a totally different meaning than just Macon itself, and not even all of Macon city is bad.

Actually, inside of the city limits on the eastside of town, once you pass the Ft. Hill neighborhood and Appling Middle School, the Shurlington Area on down to the Jones County border is largely middle/upper middle class....and so is Baconsfield behind Kroger and the community/area around Northeast High on Upper River Rd...even though the whole Eastside of town is called "bad" for a certain reason.

Macon and Bibb County both take up a big enough piece of space where you can find many nice areas that arent even near "the hood"

Example -Living out in some part of Bibb like Bass Rd. is many many miles away and a totally differently lifestyle than someone who lives off of 2nd St. Stop those absurd generalizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
The average crime index in the United States is---329
The crime index for Macon Georgia is-------------728

Since King X states the high crime areas are located in very small areas of Macon, those areas must sure have a huge amount of crime to bring the index for the entire city well over twice the average crime index of the US.

I question who the--absurd-- poster is.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:52 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The average crime index in the United States is---329
The crime index for Macon Georgia is-------------728

Since King X states the high crime areas are located in very small areas of Macon, those areas must sure have a huge amount of crime to bring the index for the entire city well over twice the average crime index of the US.

I question who the--absurd-- poster is.
Well, smart guy, tell me what I said in my post that wasn't true. Since you seem to know so much, are the above areas I mentioned in Bibb County, GA (which I happen to frequent many times a week/month).. NOT safe??

You seem to have not comprehended what you read. The poster commented about "Bibb County" as a whole, and not just Macon. I pointed out that nearly 40% of Bibb County's population is not inside the city limits of Macon. I also pointed out that pretty much all of that 40% resides in nice, safe areas....outside of the city limits.

As for the drawn out boundaries of the city of Macon, I never claimed Macon to be heaven or anything near it. I never claimed it didnt have crime problems, but I did mention that even inside the city limit boundaries...some areas are nice. Is this not true??? lol I'm pretty sure it is, because I stay in one of those areas with no problems.

When you consider how city limit boundaries and neighborhoods are drawn up differently for different cities, sometimes stats may not tell the whole story.

Example? If Columbus' entire Northside of town was excluded from it's city population (like ours) it's "crime rate" would increase dramatically too.

Another example? Statistically on paper, Decatur appears much "safer" than it really is, since it doesnt include some of those high crime areas like "Candler-Mcafee" which is just listed as a "Census Designated Place."

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 04-08-2010 at 04:05 AM..

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM

38 posts, read 118,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Well, smart guy, tell me what I said in my post that wasn't true. Since you seem to know so much, are the above areas I mentioned in Bibb County, GA (which I happen to frequent many times a week/month).. NOT safe??

You seem to have not comprehended what you read. The poster commented about "Bibb County" as a whole, and not just Macon. I pointed out that nearly 40% of Bibb County's population is not inside the city limits of Macon. I also pointed out that pretty much all of that 40% resides in nice, safe areas....outside of the city limits.

As for the drawn out boundaries of the city of Macon, I never claimed Macon to be heaven or anything near it. I never claimed it didnt have crime problems, but I did mention that even inside the city limit boundaries...some areas are nice. Is this not true??? lol I'm pretty sure it is, because I stay in one of those areas with no problems.

When you consider how city limit boundaries and neighborhoods are drawn up differently for different cities, sometimes stats may not tell the whole story.

Example? If Columbus' entire Northside of town was excluded from it's city population (like ours) it's "crime rate" would increase dramatically too.

Another example? Statistically on paper, Decatur appears much "safer" than it really is, since it doesnt include some of those high crime areas like "Candler-Mcafee" which is just listed as a "Census Designated Place."

Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,678 times
I am moving to ATL soon and was wonder if anyone has any advice about good places to live that's close to ATL's airport?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
I am moving to ATL soon and was wonder if anyone has any advice about good places to live that's close to ATL's airport?
Where are you working? The airport?

What do you mean by "close"...?

What type of housing are you looking for?

What is your approximate budget?

This thread should give you some idea of the information you might want to provide in order to get the most usefulness out of this web site:

Moving to atlanta soon? Read this first

Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 AM

20 posts, read 70,301 times
Can you tell me more about the Lake BlackShear area please. My fiance' is an OTR truck driver and has been through that area and said it is BEAUTIFUL!! I have not been there so I am wanting to know more about the schools and what is available there for rent. Everything I am finding online is that area is VERY expensive so any advise you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 AM

199 posts, read 627,704 times
3 different counties border lake blackshear. worth, Sumter and crisp. so you are looking at 3 different school systems. most of the properties around or on the lake are personal residences or weekend homes. there is not a lot of monthly rental property there. however it is a wonderful area to live in with very low crime rate and friendly people. i suggest contacting a realtor in cordele, americus or sylvester for more info on the rentals. good luck

Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,766 times
Powder Springs has really gone down hill and it really is a hole in the wall town.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,328 times
I'm from Indiana and i'm moving to Donalsonville,GA in acouple of weeks. Can anybody tell me about that area. I have never been to Georgia and know nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia