Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 AM

33 posts, read 129,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Albany is one of the worst cities per capita in the US for crime. If by "soul food" you mean southern cooking, you can get that anywhere in Ga. I guess the best and worst depends on what you want and your opinion. Everybody is different.
And this is why I'm getting twisted. Im looking to move down this way from Chicago for my music career purpose and my family is one of my priorities that consist of safety yet tasteful and affordable living. I actually live in the next state which is about 50mins from Chgo but I still do business there because I'm from this city born and raised for 25 years. I moved out 3 years ago and just discovered that ATL might be a good choice. I was looking in the Gwinette County area but Im hearing too much about why to stay away from the city where I think it will jump off for me at. I really dont know what to do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJay View Post
And this is why I'm getting twisted. Im looking to move down this way from Chicago for my music career purpose and my family is one of my priorities that consist of safety yet tasteful and affordable living. I actually live in the next state which is about 50mins from Chgo but I still do business there because I'm from this city born and raised for 25 years. I moved out 3 years ago and just discovered that ATL might be a good choice. I was looking in the Gwinette County area but Im hearing too much about why to stay away from the city where I think it will jump off for me at. I really dont know what to do now.
Well assuming you are looking for somewhere where you can have a music career Atlanta area and Savannah would be your best choices. Gwinett should be avoided. There are a couple nice areas of Gwinett, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, North Gwinett high school area, but problem with Gwinett it has been changing rapidly, for the worse. Illegals and gangs have overrun many areas that used to be very nice, Lilburn, Parkview, Snellville, Lawrenceville...So to be in an area that is still pretty safe, clean, etc. you are going to be paying big bucks. At least 300k+ for housing.

My list of Atlanta area I would say:
1. North 400 corridor - Alpharetta (expensive, higher end), Cumming Dawsonville and Dahlonega (all are a rough commute, much slower paced, and much more Southern & kinda boring)
2. Decatur (much more liberal, artsy fartsy type, but more crime, etc. type issues)
3. Roswell (more expensive, some bad areas, but should be able to find a decent area that isn't too expensive, close to Atlanta)
4. Sandy Springs (see #3 & 4)
5. Inside the perimeter (in Atlanta, kinda all of the above, expensive, harder to find safe areas, etc.)

If you decide Savannah:
1. Savannah (see #5)
2. Richmond Hill
3. South Effingham County
4. Pooler
5. Tybee Island (will likely have to rent, housing starts around 400k)

Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Well assuming you are looking for somewhere where you can have a music career Atlanta area and Savannah would be your best choices. Gwinett should be avoided. There are a couple nice areas of Gwinett, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, North Gwinett high school area, but problem with Gwinett it has been changing rapidly, for the worse. Illegals and gangs have overrun many areas that used to be very nice, Lilburn, Parkview, Snellville, Lawrenceville...So to be in an area that is still pretty safe, clean, etc. you are going to be paying big bucks. At least 300k+ for housing.

My list of Atlanta area I would say:
1. North 400 corridor - Alpharetta (expensive, higher end), Cumming Dawsonville and Dahlonega (all are a rough commute, much slower paced, and much more Southern & kinda boring)
2. Decatur (much more liberal, artsy fartsy type, but more crime, etc. type issues)
3. Roswell (more expensive, some bad areas, but should be able to find a decent area that isn't too expensive, close to Atlanta)
4. Sandy Springs (see #3 & 4)
5. Inside the perimeter (in Atlanta, kinda all of the above, expensive, harder to find safe areas, etc.)

If you decide Savannah:
1. Savannah (see #5)
2. Richmond Hill
3. South Effingham County
4. Pooler
5. Tybee Island (will likely have to rent, housing starts around 400k)
This was helpful, thanks

Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,977 times
My 5 Best
1- Carrollton
2- Newnan
3- Willmington Island
4- Blue Ridge
5- Clayton (Town not County)

My 5 worst
1- Atlanta/Fulton County
2- Clayton County- all of it
3- Dekalb County-all of it
4- Augusta
5- Columbus

Old 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogfan40 View Post
My 5 worst
1- Atlanta/Fulton County
2- Clayton County- all of it
3- Dekalb County-all of it
4- Augusta
5- Columbus
Since this is subjective, your opinion is as valid as mine. The only thing I find interesting is that a county like Fulton is huge (like 60 miles long), so how can you make such a sweeping judgement?

In the southern part of the county is an almost rural feel (Chattahoochee Hills) and that area is very much like Newnan, which is very close by, and which you listed as your second best place to live. In the northern part of the county are Milton, Johns Creek, Roswell, and Alpharetta, some of the nicest suburbs anywhere in the country, with parts also having an almost rural feel. In the middle of the county are Sandy Springs, Atlanta, and small cities like Hapeville.

I'm just curious which part(s) you hate...the urban part, the suburban part, or the near rural part?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Since this is subjective, your opinion is as valid as mine. The only thing I find interesting is that a county like Fulton is huge (like 60 miles long), so how can you make such a sweeping judgement?

In the southern part of the county is an almost rural feel (Chattahoochee Hills) and that area is very much like Newnan, which is very close by, and which you listed as your second best place to live. In the northern part of the county are Milton, Johns Creek, Roswell, and Alpharetta, some of the nicest suburbs anywhere in the country, with parts also having an almost rural feel. In the middle of the county are Sandy Springs, Atlanta, and small cities like Hapeville.

I'm just curious which part(s) you hate...the urban part, the suburban part, or the near rural part?

you can continue telling me what you think and your best places for me.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzman View Post
Worst in Georgia: 1. Atlanta 2. Near Atlanta 3. Around Atlanta 4. Atlanta area 5. Anywhere close to Atlanta, all because of high violent crime rate, terrible traffic, rude drivers, no personality and half of the residents do not speak recognizable english.

Greatest post I've seen in a while! You nailed it man!!!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdesi View Post
Hey! whats with all the hate for Atlanta? I visited about a year ago and even though i didnt leave the metro area, I can say with no hesitation I LOVE ATL. I am in Central New Jersey starting an IT company, and personally I would move to Georgia in a heartbeat. The truth is, I wouldnt quite fit in a small town in the south, myself being from India, concerned with racism. I kind of like the feeling of being near Atlanta better that in some sparcely populated area, and really, crime isnt quite bad at all in the suburbs. Also, traffic is a problem, but I think I can handle it after living in New York for over 12 years.

I hope you find the right town for your family, im just putting out my opinions.
Lol no wonder why you wouldn't mind being in Atlanta, since you live in New Jersey, people think Atlanta's bad, but they haven't been to Newark or Camden NJ, that's where the real crazy **** goes down at. But yeah I agree an atlanta suburb isn't too bad, but I would recommend being somewhere in between Atlanta and Athens, but if you don't like Athens then I guess it don't matter. I recommend to stay out of Dekalb and Clayton county, it has way too much traffic.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Some of these repsonses re: the Atlanta area are beyond laughable.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. Some of you are doing a HUGE disservice for people that are looking for accurate, factual information.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,054 times
I keep seeing Augusta pop on here and I would say yes stay away from Augusta City limits but other than that there are many nice areas outside of the Augusta area. Evans and parts of Grovetown come to mind. They are growing by leaps and bounds and actually parts of Grovetown you would swear were still Evans but zoned Grovetown for some reason.
Now being from the area given the chance would we move back. Not a chance unless we had to. We would rather move to a burb outside the Atlanta area. Far enough away from all the congestion but yet close enough to go in town to do stuff. In Augusta there is NOTHING to do. Given the chance we would move to North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia