Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 PM

21 posts, read 199,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcgirl View Post
Worst:

Wilkinson County

Why specifically do you put this on your worst list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 06:55 PM

137 posts, read 739,367 times
Default Have you been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartheasy View Post
Why specifically do you put this on your worst list?

I have family there and wouldn't live there in a million years. It is one of two counties in GA that lost population over the last few years. It is a nasty little county with nothing happening and little hope of any progress. The landscape is quite pretty except for where they've mined the heck out of it for kaolin. Now they have a bunch of strange looking green chemical looking ponds. It is cancer in the making.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 PM

21 posts, read 199,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcgirl View Post
The landscape is quite pretty except for where they've mined the heck out of it for kaolin. Now they have a bunch of strange looking green chemical looking ponds. It is cancer in the making.
No, I have never been there. This info was extremely helpful. Thank you!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:45 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganikO View Post
I've lived here for 11 years now and its home by all means but the one thing that I dont like about Atl is that everthing is so SPREAD out. I didnt really experience anything different until I went to ST. Louis. In STL everthing is close, its extremely boring up there to me but most things are close to each other there

Things being in close proximity all depends on where you live in the city, whether your home is in St. Louis or Atlanta or Peoria. If you live in the suburbs or in an area without much, you'll have to drive and it will seem spread out. If you live in a high density area, usually downtown or in town, things will be close together. It doesn't mean that Atlanta is defined as spread out and St. Louis is more convenient. That was just your personal experience.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:22 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times
I wont say whats the worst but Lizella, Ga is a good city it has huge properties located in Bibb County outside of Macon its expected to grow very rapidly with commericial, & residential areas. It currently has a few hundred people, but is expected to thrive into the a couple thousand.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Guess if you truely are the Mayor of Macon and can't even suggest it as a good place to live then it must be pretty bad there. Might want to think about what you say before you speak I'm sure most of Macon would love to hear about this before the next election.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:56 PM

Wilkinson County. It isn't cancer in the making but I wouldn't suggest living there that much. Most the people who live there are in financial ruin unless they are large property owners. Kaolin is used for many things, most known for fine quality porcelain or the nice shine found on your paper products. Very interesting topic to study. Many stories about GA are explained by reading up on this subject and why it has such a reputation of being underhanded. I would start with a book called Red Clay, Pink Cadillacs and White Gold. Great story line and opens you up to studies in legal, financial, political, etc. Enjoy!

Last edited by pickleswanson; 02-15-2007 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Needed to be attachted to eartheasy comments

Old 02-15-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharron View Post
Hi,

You sound like a small town girl who does not need lots of malls, traffic, crime and noise! Also, since you are from CT, I would imagine that you are not looking for lots of humidity.

To me the 5 worst places in GA for you are:
5. in Atlanta,
4. just south or just north of Atlanta
3. just east or west of Atlanta
2. any town south of Atlanta (Heat and humidity)
1. the coast of Georgia

To my way of thinking, the 5 best places for you are all small towns in the Northeast Georgia mountains. We have many transplants from CT who say they feel like they are home here because we have mountains and change of seasons WITHOUT THE EXTREMES! They love our change of seasons, friendly people, great schools and low crime rate. We get an average of 3 inches of snow per year, and nature still has a home here.

5. Ellijay,Georgia
4. Blue Ridge, Georgia
3. Hiawassee, Georgia
2. Young Harris, Georgia
1. Blairsville, Georgia

Moderator cut: Removed

Sharron Lobman
For the most part I agree with Ms. Lobman however Atlanta has basically engulfed theses towns as part of its metro area too. Be sure to check out your needs with the towns you choose to check out. Most any place in GA is nice but it only what you make of it. My personal favorites are Tyrone (grew up there) Douglas not Douglasville also nice though (takes a moment
to get to know the people which make or break the town) Brunswick just because it growing quickly and is pretty close to many great islands, Newnan, Buford, Thomasville and Tifton all of which have lots of info on the net about them.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 AM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times
A couple pages back I recall people who asked about small towns not a huge town with great and beautiful ammenities. And as I recall the end of my name says 2019. I will admit that Macon is not the safest city in the world. You should think before you speak and do a little research while you at it. Macon is one of the greatest cities in the south, no the world, and I know there will be people who object to this but thats a matter of there opinion. Fact is that Macon is the Cherry Blossom Capital, has some of the largest ammenties in the U.S. such as the Sports Hall of Fame, largest copper roof, home to the second largest commercial mall in GA, is the heart of Central Georgia, not dogging other up and coming cities and counties such as Warner Robins, Twiggs County, Bonaire, Fort Valley, and Monroe County. I will happily answer any of your questions or anything you throw out pickleswanson.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 42,686 times
Thumbs down Savannah sucks

Savannah sucks, stay away.

It may be fun to visit for the "historical monuments" and pro-military rightwings night clubs. However, beyond that, it sucks.

The city is plagued by a number of very serious problems. Those being:

RACISM & HIGH CRIME & Poverty

Savannah likes to believe that it is some sort of "art center" of the World. However, if paintings of lighthouses and suitcases filled with garbage are your idea of "high art" then maybe this is the place for you. Their little college is very poorly rated in true art World circuits. Given that the best art colleges have always existed in the northeast. This Savannah art college place owns most of the city and brags often about being featured in Newsweek. I was unaware that newsweek was a resource for college searches anyway.

So much that they print signs about it around the city ??? while most ofthe city starves, the rich enjoy free highways built directly to their communities. They own the local news media and city government. anyway, back to the point. Savannah's crime is not just an issue of murders and those types of crimes. But there is widespread poverty there. Rampant improper use of city funds. Tax evasion and other crimes that have affected the quality of life i n the city. Though most citizens there are oblivious to these issues. There are many minority tokens in Savannah who accept being thrown out of their homes. However, the effect of these issues can not be ignored by most intelligent people. True liberals would find Savannah a difficult place to live in. Racism is rampant, if you are not white or Asian or don't agree with the military/rightwing/fox news/GWB stay away. Externally Savannah appears like a place "on the move". However, after closer inspection, you will find most of the realestate there is empty there, no matter how new it may be. its just made to look nice. many of those "historical homes" are in ruins on the inside.

short fact: Savannah is ringed by several military bases. Savannah is very military minded. (again, 'true' (= as in not phoney, cute looking, closet racists,...etc) liberals, stay away)

Also, if you are a single male, forget it. There are many, many single men here who have no one. Meeting people is very difficult and those few you do meet will either have a 1st grade education, look like a scarecrow or be david duke's daughter with money. However, she will attempt to look "hip" by Savannah standards. And only by Savannah standards. Absolutely nothing impresses women in savannah. I don't care if you drive a gold plated Astin Martin. You come here and you will never get married or find a decent mate. The women have very nasty attitudes and are at the bottom of the barrel as they say. It is pretty segregated too. Few true interracial couples in the city. There is also a giant chemical paper plant hanging over the city that pumps out cancer and other illnesses each day. There is also a nuclear weapons plant up river that every now and then likes to dump its toxic waste into the river. (again true liberals would most likely not like living in Savannah) Savannah is also home to some of the highest heart disease, cancer and high blood pressure rates in nations. Thus the high number of competing hospitals in the Savannah area. So if you are in the medical comumunity then this may be the place for you. However, savannah also boosts some of the highest malpractice rates in the country. Obeisety is rampant, just like Savannah's racism. One word (depression) I wonder why? But they say that hings are "great in Savannah". They certainly don't look it. Starting to get the picture?

Recently lots of trash from some of the worse places are moving there along with other like minded people from similar historically racist/segregated/rightwing/phoney liberal/poverty stricken communities. Just look at the most recent tags on cars.

DC, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, N. California, New Jersey, Louisiana, St Paul, Boston, St Louis, Colorado ....See my point? Imagine what you will be dealing with in the long term. that along with a very, very low rated public and private school system.

When you arrive here, no matter how much you may try to ignore it. There is this feeling of darkness that hangs over the city. It is just a dark depressing place. Despite not having a 'goth' large community. Savannah just sucks, when the fame ends, the lady and brats cooking show ratings go under, when "the book" is forgotton, when SCAM college gets busted by the feds for tax fraud/mafia involvment, when the local blacks riot for their ill treatment, when America falls economically from war and new Orleans opens back up vegas style and the ocean tide rises and storms brew, this place is going to go down hard. Do you really want to be here?

'nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia