U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2007, 10:54 PM

699 posts, read 1,786,932 times

Advertisements

So let me clarify...you don't like Savannah? Bitter, party of one, your table is ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM

22 posts, read 159,977 times
Stay away from Atlanta area. High crime, terrible nagability expensive housing, some of the worst schools in the country. Good places to live?

Powder Springs, Austell, Dallas,Kennesaw,Lawrenceville.

Bad places?- Forest Park, Norcross, certain parts of Marietta and Smyrna, Riverdale.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 56,380 times
Default Need to know where to move!

My husband and I will be moving this summer somewhere in north Georgia. We have never been there, but want to live somewhere with mountain views. We are moving from Colorado (too many blizards). We love the scenery though. We make a decent living here, so we are hoping to find a place in Georgia that has affordable real estate and where jobs will pay well. My husband is an Ophthalimic Technician in the eye care business. He works for a private Dr. so he will be unable to transfer to Georgia. We have 2 children in grade school, so good schools are important also. Is there any way we could have all of this and still have mountains? We really don't want to live in the city...but we don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere either!Any info would be very helpful-Thank You!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,165,205 times
Fascinating to see the different perspectives on the same places.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM

7,133 posts, read 12,301,964 times
Yes, I strongly differ in opinion about Savannah from Human Being. I like the area enough to want to return. It's a beautiful city with loads of nice people and many sophisticated attactive single women who complain at the shortage of single men! Funny how perspectives differ...

But I agree about the crime. It's freaky bad in areas - always, always has been as long as I can remember.

Still, downtown is alive and thriving. People go out in spite of it. People have opened restaurants and shops. People are still chosing to invest in the historic district. As a result, in the past 15 or so years, Savannah has gone from a hollow shell to a truly livable city - one of the best. It has a long way to go, but it is headed in the right direction.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:37 PM

7 posts, read 71,315 times
Default Rating for Lumpkin County should not be bad

I differ with another poster that rates Lumpkin County as high in crime, bad. True there is a meth problem with the locals but it is hidden and the local sheriff who is good, is getting things under control.

great small town with a good college, wineries, waterfalls, appalachian trail. Even a progressive movement in terms of people/attitudes that are relocating to the area.

see www.progressivedahlonega.com for more info

Old 02-23-2007, 06:29 PM

2,788 posts, read 6,946,541 times
Best for me:
Athens, GA
Pine Mountain area, GA
and my favorite
Dahlonega, GA

Worst for me:
Atlanta city, GA
Clayton, DeKalb, and Fulton county, GA

I just like the country, not a city boy.
Right now, due to work I live in the Dacula area and feel like I'm in the middle of an ant hill.

When I retire, due to closeness to health care, I will probably live in the Dacula area still feeling like I'm in the middle of an ant hill
But the mountains and Piney Mountain are only a short drive away.

Maybe you could say there is not best or worst. Just the best of both worlds, just don't drive during the worst times of day.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 AM

230 posts, read 452,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human being View Post
Savannah sucks, stay away.

It may be fun to visit for the "historical monuments" and pro-military rightwings night clubs. However, beyond that, it sucks.

The city is plagued by a number of very serious problems. Those being:

RACISM & HIGH CRIME & Poverty

Savannah likes to believe that it is some sort of "art center" of the World. However, if paintings of lighthouses and suitcases filled with garbage are your idea of "high art" then maybe this is the place for you. Their little college is very poorly rated in true art World circuits. Given that the best art colleges have always existed in the northeast. This Savannah art college place owns most of the city and brags often about being featured in Newsweek. I was unaware that newsweek was a resource for college searches anyway.

So much that they print signs about it around the city ??? while most ofthe city starves, the rich enjoy free highways built directly to their communities. They own the local news media and city government. anyway, back to the point. Savannah's crime is not just an issue of murders and those types of crimes. But there is widespread poverty there. Rampant improper use of city funds. Tax evasion and other crimes that have affected the quality of life i n the city. Though most citizens there are oblivious to these issues. There are many minority tokens in Savannah who accept being thrown out of their homes. However, the effect of these issues can not be ignored by most intelligent people. True liberals would find Savannah a difficult place to live in. Racism is rampant, if you are not white or Asian or don't agree with the military/rightwing/fox news/GWB stay away. Externally Savannah appears like a place "on the move". However, after closer inspection, you will find most of the realestate there is empty there, no matter how new it may be. its just made to look nice. many of those "historical homes" are in ruins on the inside.

short fact: Savannah is ringed by several military bases. Savannah is very military minded. (again, 'true' (= as in not phoney, cute looking, closet racists,...etc) liberals, stay away)

Also, if you are a single male, forget it. There are many, many single men here who have no one. Meeting people is very difficult and those few you do meet will either have a 1st grade education, look like a scarecrow or be david duke's daughter with money. However, she will attempt to look "hip" by Savannah standards. And only by Savannah standards. Absolutely nothing impresses women in savannah. I don't care if you drive a gold plated Astin Martin. You come here and you will never get married or find a decent mate. The women have very nasty attitudes and are at the bottom of the barrel as they say. It is pretty segregated too. Few true interracial couples in the city. There is also a giant chemical paper plant hanging over the city that pumps out cancer and other illnesses each day. There is also a nuclear weapons plant up river that every now and then likes to dump its toxic waste into the river. (again true liberals would most likely not like living in Savannah) Savannah is also home to some of the highest heart disease, cancer and high blood pressure rates in nations. Thus the high number of competing hospitals in the Savannah area. So if you are in the medical comumunity then this may be the place for you. However, savannah also boosts some of the highest malpractice rates in the country. Obeisety is rampant, just like Savannah's racism. One word (depression) I wonder why? But they say that hings are "great in Savannah". They certainly don't look it. Starting to get the picture?

Recently lots of trash from some of the worse places are moving there along with other like minded people from similar historically racist/segregated/rightwing/phoney liberal/poverty stricken communities. Just look at the most recent tags on cars.

DC, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, N. California, New Jersey, Louisiana, St Paul, Boston, St Louis, Colorado ....See my point? Imagine what you will be dealing with in the long term. that along with a very, very low rated public and private school system.

When you arrive here, no matter how much you may try to ignore it. There is this feeling of darkness that hangs over the city. It is just a dark depressing place. Despite not having a 'goth' large community. Savannah just sucks, when the fame ends, the lady and brats cooking show ratings go under, when "the book" is forgotton, when SCAM college gets busted by the feds for tax fraud/mafia involvment, when the local blacks riot for their ill treatment, when America falls economically from war and new Orleans opens back up vegas style and the ocean tide rises and storms brew, this place is going to go down hard. Do you really want to be here?

'nuff said
Boston and San Francisco are calling you. They are just a tad more expensive to live than Savannah though.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 59,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
I've been to the town of Moultrie only once in my life, about 10 years ago. It was in the height of summertime heat, but there were acres and acres of shady pecan groves near town, a lovely sight. I don't recall much about the downtown area except that it was old-fashioned and looked very southern.

I was there with a truck to pick up a generous donation of aluminum patio furniture from Moultrie Manufacturing for a charity auction here in Atlanta. Nice people. I would guess that they were and are a major employer in that small town.
I'm from Moultrie, and you're right, not only about Moultrie Manufacturing (huge employer and very charity-conscious), but about looking very southern and old-fashioned. Moultrie oozes southern charm. It's a lovely town--most of it, anyway, but nothing's perfect--and the people are, for the most part, incredibly nice. I should know--I know almost all of them! Comes with the territory of growing up in a small town. I don't live there any more (my work took me to Macon, which despite all the negative comments here I also love), but I love it there and can't wait until this weekend when I go back to visit!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 73,012 times
Default We are considering moving from MI to Ga My husband was offered a job in colombus

We have to sell our house 2000 sq ft blt in 2003 ranch looking for a house on remax website having a hard time finding a city close by w/ 3 car garage and basement, is there no basements in GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia