Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 22,921 times

Advertisements

peachtree city is the place to live in georgia. it is the suburbs but still has really nice people. you can also drive golf carts around if you dont feel like driving. peachtree city has miles and miles of golf cart paths and many places has golf cart parking. some areas have really nice houses too. another really nice place is alpharetta. it has lots of nice houses, lots of small buissnesses and alpharretta is a class-act area. the only draw-back is that the city has lots of traffic during rush hour. 2 other nice places are fayetteville, and roswell.
ABSOLUTELY AVOID anything in clayton county. i used to live there and the crime in high, the people are un-educated, the schools are terrible and there is so much more wrong with it. just AVOID it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 59,458 times
Smile Looking for area within an hour of St, Simons Island. :-)

How about uin the vicinity of Saint Simons Island? Along there within an hour with Good School. I have a 4 yo and hubby may be working in that area. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM

94 posts, read 386,123 times
Peachtree city seems a bit weird to me (my opinion) I heard someone was mugged while on a golf cart (read it in their news a few months/yr back) I can't see allowing my daughter to use one to roam around in after reading that.
Nice idea if you have friends to go with maybe.., but then again, what about getting caught in a thunderstorm?
If they had little electric cars that only went up to a certain speed, that would get my attention.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 17,069 times
Default Best Places to live in Georgia

Hi, I'm looking to move to Warner Robins or Eatonton area.
I see on a criminal rate, those are pretty safe areas.
Could someone give me more info on living, pests, etc.?
I also have heard it can be a little redneck mostly white people state. Is that true?
I'd rather live in a diverse area.
I'm allergic to mosquitos and in NJ we have the West Nile threat.
I'm also curious on the infest of pests - bugs, rodents, snakes, etc.
So whatever anyone can tell me would really be appreciated.
I live in NJ atm, living with my parents and on disability.
I'll be on my own when I move.
Either way I plan on moving to 1 of those 2 areas, I just want to know what to expect.
Thanks!
Kathy

P.S. Sorry for the 20 questions. lol

Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl1974 View Post
I also have heard it can be a little redneck mostly white people state. Is that true?
So whatever anyone can tell me would really be appreciated.
I live in NJ atm, living with my parents and on disability.
I'll be on my own when I move.
Either way I plan on moving to 1 of those 2 areas, I just want to know what to expect.
Thanks!
Kathy

P.S. Sorry for the 20 questions. lol

You can count the number of minority-majority states on 1 hand. Most states are majority white. NJ, where you currently live, has a higher percentage of whites (68.6%) than Georgia (59.7%).

Eatonton is a rural town with very little to offer. Warner Robins is a very fast growing military town with all sorts of shopping centers, chain stores, etc. and they are constantly building, and it's nickname is "The International City" so it definitely fits your criteria better.

By the way, this is the deep south. "Rural" area doesnt always mean "mostly white." You can find what many people may describe as "rednecks" in Eatonton/Putnam County and it has a population under 7,000, but Eatonton's still 57.2% black.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 16,969 times
I am thinking about moving to Lawrenceville GA anyone know anything about that city?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 37,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl1974 View Post
Eatonton is very near lakes Oconee and Sinclair, and the pine forests that surround the lakes (especially Sinclair) have significant amounts of both rattlers and copperhead -- the standard word to the wise if your hiking. Eatonton, itself, is a very quiet and lonely-feeling old town, but it has a lot of charm (IE. The Uncle Remus Museum, etc); However, considering lakes are nearby mosquitos aren't really an issue, not significantly.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 27,718 times
I was born and raised in stone mountain and went to school in conyers. When I graduated highschool I relocated to the Little 5 Points area of Atlanta (East Atlanta), and lived there until 2009, where I moved to the downtown Decatur area (close to Emory) and have lived here ever since.

My opinion on some areas of georgia, from my experience living here so far:

- Stone mountain: not that great. Stone Mountain park is a huge tourist area, but other than that the town isn't great and the schools and crime were pretty bad. So bad my parents made me go to a private school in conyers from 7th grade on.

- Conyers: this area just plain sucks. The people here are very close minded, redneck, racist, and ignorant. Move on. The cops are even worse and most are racist and hate black people and latinos. I personally know some conyers cops and trust me they are all racist. (I'm white). I even knew a guy who honestly thought the gas station attendant by my apartment was mexican (he was clearly indian). The mentality of people in this little town is very narrow and one-sided, most are conservative christians (though most of them don't act like good christians) and are scared of anything new or different.

- Little 5 Points: very artsy and hipster. Mainly attracts ages 18-35. Fun place to go shopping and dining at, people are more open-minded and diverse. A lot of yuppies however live in the grant park, virginia highlands and candler park areas close to little 5 points, and even still this little community has its fair share of crime. Mainly robberies and car jackings. I lived in a studio apartment with my husband behind the Vortex restaurant in the heart of little 5 for over 3 years, and we never had any issues with crime, maybe because we use common sense and take note of who and whats around us most of the time. Really, anytime you're in Atlanta, just know where you are and use common sense. Don't leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicles, don't walk around on the streets at night, don't be showy or flashy with your cell phones/laptops/jewelry in public, avoid gas stations late at night (pretty much if you have money or nice valuables, don't let that be known to others especially at night, and no one will try to rob you in the parking lot), don't stop and talk to strangers passing by you at night--especially if they approach you asking a question--just keep walking and talk loud if you have to, and don't go out at night alone in atlanta--always be with someone. Do pay attention to your surroundings and the people around you, do make eye contact with anyone who seems suspicious, always have something on you that you can use as a weapon if you find yourself out at night walking around (like keys, pepper spray, even a licensed gun), don't get drunk out at an unknown bar/club--and if you do, surround yourself with friends (some sober) who have your back in case anything happens, do look like you are from the area and know where you're going so you don't appear to be a tourist--which some people prey on. If you just use common sense in Atlanta, it can be a nice place to live where you have plenty to do.

- Decatur: I live in the nice section of Decatur. There is also a very bad section of decatur where there is crime. As far as I know, the surrounding areas of downtown decatur/emory are nice and crime is relatively low. If you venture out past that area, I'm unsure but it looks pretty dismal and dirty. Downtown decatur has a nice community, where families like to visit and go biking, shopping and dining. There are a lot of police out here, they are always patrolling the area, and it seems very safe and peaceful. The condo community we live in is very quiet, no crime, most people leave their doors unlocked and walk around the area at night. We relocated here to start a family in 2009, and in 2011 we had a boy and from a parents perspective, we really like this area--many restaurants are kid friendly, great places to walk around/bike in, nice schools, and the people here (though snooty sometimes) are pleasant and more open-minded and artsy than the people in other suburbs surrounding atlanta. The cost of living however is higher. The taxes are higher, rent is higher and most people who live here work in the city (atlanta) or are college students at Emory.

I've visited other areas of georgia, but since I haven't lived anywhere else, I can't really give a validated opinion on them.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM

26 posts, read 63,518 times
IMHO

Best:
Alpharetta/Canton
Athens (i love university towns - just stay in the nice parts )
Buckhead (if you're more of a city person)
Sugar Hill/Flowery Branch (I'm not a big fan of Gwinnett county personally but I know a lot of family people that like it around there)
Dunwoody/Sandy Springs

Worst:
Metro Atlanta
Anywhere near the airport or six flags
Decatur
Jefferson/surrounding (BFE)
Anything south of Atlanta

It really depends how country you want to get....and your style of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia