Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM

75 posts, read 382,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCHAEDLER View Post
Someone asked the very same on the CT. board.
Please tell me the top five and worst five placed to live in your opinion.
I expect this will send me enough info to narrow my search for a home in Georgia.
Any and all information always welcome.
Thank you
Angela
Paulding county is a great place to live. Its close to Atlanta but far enough away to still be quiet. I have lived in South Georgia and too many areas lack proper infrastructure(schools,emergency services,etc....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 15,618 times
Smile Forsyth County that is...

Live in Forsyth County...Yes traffic is horrendous and we are grownig rapidly yet trying to catch up with the roads!
I love it here... mountains, lakes, I have 6 kids and school system is excellent... well most of the schools here but I will not go in to that. When you make a final choice and here is where it is... I would be happy to guide you with the schools! I moved up from Orlando around 8 years ago and I have a grip on that... That was one thing I did my research on because of my children! This community is incredible. People are very friendly and very caring. I am blessed to be here!

Old 03-15-2007, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 15,550 times
I live in Gwinnet County, approximately 30 minutes North of Atlanta and their schools and parks are highly rated. Many recreational activities available for youngsters of all ages and has a good home town feel

Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,123 times
What about Valdosta? We will be retiring there this Sept. from Washington Metro area with a 3-4 hour commute a day. We are in Brooks Cty but have a Valdosta address.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,882 times
I too am considering a move from CT to GA. I have lived in CT all of my life but my husband and I have been long considering this move. He now has a job offer in GA so its time to really take the move seriously. One of the areas we were considering was Newnan. I was surprised to see it posted as one of the worst. What are the reasons behind this? We are also looking at Douglasville and Villa Rica. Schools and Crime are our biggest concerns. Culture shock? I'm curious as to why you think so... Thanks!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:29 PM

31 posts, read 129,047 times
Athens is nice to live, but not many available jobs.
Atlanta is worst, highest crime.
I only visited Columbus once, but I really liked it.
I currently live in east Marietta, pretty safe, but feel disconnected.
Georgia is all about cliques, so if you don't fit into one, you will feel very disconnected.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM

25 posts, read 171,189 times
Dunwoody is a nice area also has a Jewish presence there and is close to shopping Atl etc. I live outside of Athens, maybe 20min and love it here, we live in Oconee County which was voted in the top ten counties to live in, schools etc. A lot of nice sub divisions hear and if you like the country club type setting you can buy into Georgia Club a golf communty, and also will have high re sale value, Google Oconee County and you will se what I mean. BTW I am from NJ and am a die hard Yankee Fan! Welcome to the south, you'll love it here, I left NJ back in 82 lived 10 years in Fl and since than Ga. Good luck

Old 03-20-2007, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 51,541 times
we just moved to Atlanta and choose Buford as our home....we love it! Its 40 minutes to downtown, and it lacks all the stuff most don't like about Atlanta - traffic in particular...in addition, Buford is one of the up and coming areas, so it's a guarenteed investment....we live about a mile from Lake Lanier, 2 miles from Buford Dam, and 20 minutes from the Georgia mountains! Downtown Buford is great, don't let some people scare you about the poverty....that has well since been on its way out, and the town itself has million dollar + houses lining the main drive that are nearly 100 years old. A lot of history here. For my money, it doesn't get any better, good luck!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 199,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yami29 View Post
Athens is nice to live, but not many available jobs.
In specific professions or are you just making a comment in general?

Quote:
Georgia is all about cliques, so if you don't fit into one, you will feel very disconnected.
I don't buy this for a minute. True Southerners are some of the friendliest, nicest folks you'd ever be blessed to meet.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 40,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzman View Post
Worst in Georgia: 1. Atlanta 2. Near Atlanta 3. Around Atlanta 4. Atlanta area 5. Anywhere close to Atlanta, all because of high violent crime rate, terrible traffic, rude drivers, no personality and half of the residents do not speak recognizable english.
You know I lived in Georgia for 2 years and absolutely hated it!!!! I worked at GP and lived in Stockbridge. I had early hours so the commute wasn't that bad (20-30 minutes). It was ok living in Stockbridge (rent was relatively affordable) $740 for a 3 br/2ba. I didn't do much because I didn't want to drive up to Lenox or Perimeter and into the city on the weekends. I don't think I gave the area a chance. In VA we pay property taxes on our cars so I'm accustomed to paying what is equivalent to Ad Valorem tax in Georgia. In VA we also have to have our cars inspected and emissions done on them so those things were ok with me.
I had sold my house here and for one year I couldn't find a job. My former line of work was an Administrative Assistant and I could not land a job anywhere. When I finally did it was as a reception-secretary for $26,500 a year!!! I was depressed for another year then decided to move back to the VA/DC area. I was born in Baltimore, raised in DC, then on to VA as I started having kids. My rent is currently $1675 for a 3 br/2ba with NO w/d and I work in DC. I am in the accounting field now and my salary (mid 40's) would be great for some place in Georgia so now I'm torn.
I hated ATL so much but now I'm thinking of trying Dawsonville, Alpharetta, or Roswell... I've even thought about the Tampa area. ATL like anyplace has its pros and cons. You just have to weigh them out for your particular circumstance. Do try areas north of Atlanta for better school systems though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia