Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 AM

104 posts, read 139,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan23 View Post
Savannah will change. It's a promise from the LORD!!!

Watch out they will be calling you Mr Negative for speaking out....lol
The reason is that they are the very people you are describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:14 AM

102 posts, read 503,978 times
Flourchild, thanks so much for the tip on the books. I love to read. Can read the back of a cereal box and be a happy camper. :-) Paranormal not to my liking? That is so funny because our girls (15 & 11) are so wanting to look for Ol' Green Eyes in the Chickamauga Battlefield that I have been trying to find everything I can on him. We love the spooky stuff. I am a huge fan of history too so I really think I am going to enjoy the area. If you see someone walking around with a silly grin on their face, 24/7, that will probably be me. Happy, happy, happy!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,155 times
Default Where to move?

I was recently offered a job at Crawford Communications and will be moving from the suburbs north of Detroit, MI. I have never been to Georgia before and don't even know where to begin looking for housing. Can anyone give me a few pointers? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,120 times
There aren't going to be any basements in coastal cities because of potential flooding.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 19,694 times
Definitely not Cumming: the children are openly racist to each other in the elementary schools and it seems as if it is encouraged by both the Board of Education and the parents and the born and bred Cumming natives will never change their old ways. Heaven help you people!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,090 times
Default Fitzgerald GA

I currently live in Fl and have been dealing in real estate in Ga for years- I have been in the Albany area, tifton and Fitzgerald. I Like Fitzgerald so much that I have decided to move there. It is a little out of the way - but its only 27 miles to Tifton which has everything you need as far as city stuff. But Fitzgerald does have all of the necessities as far as shopping.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM

23,457 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readthis View Post
Definitely not Cumming: the children are openly racist to each other in the elementary schools and it seems as if it is encouraged by both the Board of Education and the parents and the born and bred Cumming natives will never change their old ways. Heaven help you people!
What is your agenda? You're feeding these people a load of crap on every one of your posts.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:32 AM

2 posts, read 10,631 times
Smile A brief synopsis of all of the cities (RELATIVELY NON BIAS OPINION)

Hi everyone I'm pretty new... but I've read quite a few posts from the usual "hot heads" of the forum. Well your looking at perhaps the youngest of your group.

I have taken a LOT of time and consideration to look at ALL of the advantages and disadvantages of the second tier cities in Georgia... This is what I think.

Columbus: (I'll be honest... I hate cities smaller than 500,000 people and for me to be born from Columbus), I must say that I am disappointed in the city's lack of initiative to update some of it's most frequented establishments -- Peachtree Mall and it's failure to grasp the concept of "mixed use development", "mid-rise development", and basically "urbanization" in general. But let me tell you from personal experience in the council meetings with city officials... all they do is TALK about wonderful things they could build and plan... but NOTHING goes into action. Never had I experienced so much frustration in my life.

But in comparison to all of the other second-tier cities, Columbus ranks 2nd on the "most capable of urbanizing" for it's relatively gridded streets and layout -- though I foresee problems with the interstate as well as some of it's exit ramps. It needs to seriously consider re-doing some of the interchanges.

Augusta: Though I've never been there, just by the layout and arrangement of buildings in the city, it's just as spread out as Columbus, and I see only one mall too... but "I'm only looking at satellite images from Maps Live. (Microsoft)", but I see so many trenches and pools of what appears to be "ugly" water and marshes that completely take up space in what could be room for intown development. And the urban sprawl issue is a bit worse... way worse now that I think about it, than Columbus.

Savannah: One word would describe this city in terms of it's urban characteristics: "LOVE." It is everything a city it's size should be, and it has the potential to become even more. PLENTY of trees and greenery in relatively confined spaces, a bustling downtown area (though the midtown area could use some sprucing up), and they have far more history than ANY of the other cities... so that's intriguing, but the town itself is too small! I feel FAR from everything living in Savannah, whereas the other second tier cities, you can drive to Atlanta for whatever you can't get where you stay.

But Savannah makes up for it's distance with it's international airport. That and it's ports, make it the second most important city in Georgia.

Macon: BEAUTIFUL downtown that I have LONG envisioned for Columbus. I can still see that there are areas that need work, but all cities are "a work in progress". I am really feeling the cherry blossoms... it makes the city look SO beautiful. AND it's only an hour and a couple of minutes south of Atlanta.

As for the big A itself... it's a mess of sprawling roadways, cul-de-sacs, and massive interchanges. Even though Atlanta is trying to revitalize many parts of town, it would take a miracle to turn it into a place that moves traffic efficiently. Truthfully enough, the second tier cities have a better chance of urbanization than Atlanta. If you really drive through Atlanta, you can quickly make sharp transitions from cosmopolitan, urban, to suburban... even rural in appearance. Some parts of Druid Hills would be a good example. But it's great for people who are looking for a peace of mind INSIDE the city. That's what I LOVE about Atlanta. And I think this concept by itself is what the second tier cities need to grasp. You have to satisfy both those favoring suburban lifestyles but also make excellent accommodations for people like me, who don't want to mow five acres of land.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xikartu View Post
Hi everyone I'm pretty new... but I've read quite a few posts from the usual "hot heads" of the forum. Well your looking at perhaps the youngest of your group.

I have taken a LOT of time and consideration to look at ALL of the advantages and disadvantages of the second tier cities in Georgia... This is what I think.

Columbus: (I'll be honest... I hate cities smaller than 500,000 people and for me to be born from Columbus), I must say that I am disappointed in the city's lack of initiative to update some of it's most frequented establishments -- Peachtree Mall and it's failure to grasp the concept of "mixed use development", "mid-rise development", and basically "urbanization" in general. But let me tell you from personal experience in the council meetings with city officials... all they do is TALK about wonderful things they could build and plan... but NOTHING goes into action. Never had I experienced so much frustration in my life.

But in comparison to all of the other second-tier cities, Columbus ranks 2nd on the "most capable of urbanizing" for it's relatively gridded streets and layout -- though I foresee problems with the interstate as well as some of it's exit ramps. It needs to seriously consider re-doing some of the interchanges.

Augusta: Though I've never been there, just by the layout and arrangement of buildings in the city, it's just as spread out as Columbus, and I see only one mall too... but "I'm only looking at satellite images from Maps Live. (Microsoft)", but I see so many trenches and pools of what appears to be "ugly" water and marshes that completely take up space in what could be room for intown development. And the urban sprawl issue is a bit worse... way worse now that I think about it, than Columbus.

Savannah: One word would describe this city in terms of it's urban characteristics: "LOVE." It is everything a city it's size should be, and it has the potential to become even more. PLENTY of trees and greenery in relatively confined spaces, a bustling downtown area (though the midtown area could use some sprucing up), and they have far more history than ANY of the other cities... so that's intriguing, but the town itself is too small! I feel FAR from everything living in Savannah, whereas the other second tier cities, you can drive to Atlanta for whatever you can't get where you stay.

But Savannah makes up for it's distance with it's international airport. That and it's ports, make it the second most important city in Georgia.

Macon: BEAUTIFUL downtown that I have LONG envisioned for Columbus. I can still see that there are areas that need work, but all cities are "a work in progress". I am really feeling the cherry blossoms... it makes the city look SO beautiful. AND it's only an hour and a couple of minutes south of Atlanta.

As for the big A itself... it's a mess of sprawling roadways, cul-de-sacs, and massive interchanges. Even though Atlanta is trying to revitalize many parts of town, it would take a miracle to turn it into a place that moves traffic efficiently. Truthfully enough, the second tier cities have a better chance of urbanization than Atlanta. If you really drive through Atlanta, you can quickly make sharp transitions from cosmopolitan, urban, to suburban... even rural in appearance. Some parts of Druid Hills would be a good example. But it's great for people who are looking for a peace of mind INSIDE the city. That's what I LOVE about Atlanta. And I think this concept by itself is what the second tier cities need to grasp. You have to satisfy both those favoring suburban lifestyles but also make excellent accommodations for people like me, who don't want to mow five acres of land.
Strange?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM

104 posts, read 139,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Strange?
I imagine it would be as the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia