Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 16,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastCountry View Post
My wife and I have a child on the way and can't stand California (both raised in Napa Valley).... We both like small town and country living ... We are looking for affordable and boring ... Any top 5 best worst ?
I've lived in GA my whole life, my familiy has been here since 1700.
If you want to move to GA pick a town you like but live outside of town is my recommendation. You get the peace but still get to deal with city stuff.
I'd recommend Warner Robins but live south of Warner Robins, over toward Perry or Kathleen.
Matthew Arthur Elementry school is great my kid goes there, best school I've seen.

The benefit of living here, Atlanta is about 160 miles, so is the coast over to savanah, the gulf is 4hrs and orlando is 4hrs. It gives me the peace I like, educational opportunities for my kid and yet I still have options if I want to go do something.

Atlanta is over run with wanna be rapper types and knot heads, Further south that Warner Robins makes technical type job hunting hard unless you work on or near a base. But always live away from the bases crime just hangs there.

Want real answers pick a city and hit up the police dept. they have emails and gladly recommend areas to live or avoid, it's how I decided to come here after leaving the USN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 PM

10 posts, read 19,042 times
Default Also need some info from the locals

My best friend already lives in Macon. I'm from Kentucky & have been wanting to move south for a long time. She is struggling some financially so we talked about it & I decided to move there & we would get a place together there in Macon until she finishes her college classes next year. She has sent me brochures (we would be renting preferably a house but maybe an apartment) & I've been trying to research online where the best areas are in/around Macon. I know that crime happens everywhere but I also know that there are also usually certain areas of towns that are "safer". We are both single women with grown kids so we aren't concerned about the school systems or any of that, more about our general safety. I've been there before but still not real familiar with the area. Even if there's something on the outskirts, I'd be happy to look there. Just close enough to drive into Macon for work. Can anyone who is familiar with the area help me out?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Oconee County is great! Half suburban- half country, right next to UGA, top public schools, very safe, nicer newer homes with larger lots, but some older spots as well, just over an hour drive from Atlanta. A little less diverse than most places, but pretty much friendly to everyone that lives here.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 AM

56 posts, read 120,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_girl_moving_to_Ga View Post
My best friend already lives in Macon. I'm from Kentucky & have been wanting to move south for a long time. She is struggling some financially so we talked about it & I decided to move there & we would get a place together there in Macon until she finishes her college classes next year. She has sent me brochures (we would be renting preferably a house but maybe an apartment) & I've been trying to research online where the best areas are in/around Macon. I know that crime happens everywhere but I also know that there are also usually certain areas of towns that are "safer". We are both single women with grown kids so we aren't concerned about the school systems or any of that, more about our general safety. I've been there before but still not real familiar with the area. Even if there's something on the outskirts, I'd be happy to look there. Just close enough to drive into Macon for work. Can anyone who is familiar with the area help me out?

kygirl,

I'd look into the different intown neighborhoods in Macon. Specifically College Hill, Beall's Hill or the Downtown Loft area. They are growing areas with plenty of restaurants, shopping, etc.

Stay away from East Macon, West Macon, and South Macon. North Macon and Downtown Macon are pretty desirable areas. In Bibb County, you have Lizella, which is nice and country, and then North and South Bibb County which are both nice areas. North Bibb County being much wealthier and South Bibb being Middle Class with Upper Middle areas of development.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Sigh....Please don't lump East, West, and South Macon together. Even though, I know WHY SOME people do it.

Besides a few neighborhoods....there isn't much wrong with the vast majority of East Macon. I'm not saying the "wealth" or median incomes are as high as in some North Macon neighborhoods, but as you can see below, the majority of us aren't exactly people living off "tax payers dollars." Please do not mistake the majority of East Macon for the majority of South or West Macon just because we may "look" the same...as the stats can tell you we are very different, and so are the upkeep of the neighborhoods, crime rates, etc. The only problem someone may encounter in most (not all but most) of East Macon is if they have a problem living around too many people who dont look like them. Sorry, but I'm kind of tired of people saying to avoid a neighborhood like mines with an unemployment and poverty rate under 5%..........and then lump us into a category with some South Macon neighborhood with 58% of the people living in poverty, just because we "look the same."

typical East Macon neighborhoods

typical South Macon neighborhoods

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 04-25-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 6,872 times
Dalton is the worst, it's like living in Mexico

Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 37,204 times
North Georgia is the Golden Fleece of the state, anything below Kennesaw is highly suspect per its wrong-headedness.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,516 times
I live in Kennesaw Georgia (it is a suburban area and is located between Marietta and is in Cobb county) all my life- well except for when i was 2 yrs, and I agree with you about Atlanta being one of the worst places in Georgia to live . There's a lot of crime in Atlanta and you wouldn't want to live there. It has some of the most poorest and lowest schools in Georgia. One of the richest counties in the state is Cobb, it has a great school system plus it's rated one of the top school systems in the U.S.A. As for Marietta it's not over crowded, I live very close to Marietta. Also Georgia is considered the 'New Hollywood' of the south.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,418 times
Default relocating to Georgia

My husband and I with our childen are moving from California to Georgia and I am trying to find the best city for my family, needs to be safe and have the best schools. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,275 times
I live in Anchorage, Alaska right now.... I have always been infatuated with Atlanta, especially since the Real Housewives of Atlanta. I am thinking about moving to Atlanta and I don't want to move to a crime ridden, bad neighborhood. I am single, a hard worker and have a grandson coming with me who is three, that will need daycare. Please help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia