Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 09:14 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The new building they just added is three floors... one is orthopedic and sports medicine (14 exam rooms, x-ray rooms, and procedure rooms.... one floor is women's health (4 OB/GYN's) exams rooms, ultrasound rooms, and procedures... and third floor I hear is where Piedmont Heart is moving. I've been very pleased with Union General except for the fact that all the growth up here in general is causing long waits whereas it used to be 15 minutes in and out for something like a mammogram and now it can take a bit longer.... Good luck. If you come over here I'll be curious what you think.....
Fannin used to do their radiology in-house, but since they outsource it, it takes much longer. Thanks again for the information. I'll make a note of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 01:48 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yes, I decided that next year when I have to go for my mammogram that I'll go someplace else. Thank you for that tip. It's ridiculous to wait almost three weeks between getting the test, being called back for anultrasound and getting the results.

When we lived in Fannin, if it was serious you had to go to Gainesville or Atlanta. Wife went to Gainesville for 3D mammos, b/c the others didn't offer them. I found Gainesville more workable around schedules and the doctors there called you back with results. Unheard of now.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:27 AM

18 posts, read 15,582 times
Is there a reason your colleague hasn't looked into Chattanooga? It's a metro area but the mountains are right there. This would seem to be the best of both worlds for them.

If they are set on north Georgia, Canton, Ball Ground, and Waleska come to mind as possibilities. There is Northside Hospital Cherokee in Canton, which is probably the last suburb of the area before you get rural. Waleska and Ballground are just north and considered the beginning of the foothills. It's an easy drive to Canton.

Jasper is just north of Canton/Ball Ground and houses Piedmont Mountainside Hospital. It's also a smaller hospital but connected to the Piedmont system in Atlanta. The Bent Tree community in Jasper could be a good choice. The only caveat of being in the mountains is that it can take a while to get to a hospital, especially in the winter, even if it's just a couple miles away.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:07 AM

274 posts, read 952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetGeorgia View Post
Is there a reason your colleague hasn't looked into Chattanooga? It's a metro area but the mountains are right there. This would seem to be the best of both worlds for them.
That's a great question, and yes, there is. He is an entrepreneur and owns several different businesses, some of which require state licenses. State licensing laws, reciprocity, tax laws, etc. all come into play as a few of these will continue to exist and provide his retirement income. If not for that, you're correct. TN would be a slam-dunk.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 15,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnFlyer View Post
That's a great question, and yes, there is. He is an entrepreneur and owns several different businesses, some of which require state licenses. State licensing laws, reciprocity, tax laws, etc. all come into play as a few of these will continue to exist and provide his retirement income. If not for that, you're correct. TN would be a slam-dunk.
Because Chattanooga is right on the TN/GA border, there are a few towns in Georgia that could work, such as Rossville and Lookout Mountain. It's pretty easy and fast to get to Chattanooga from there and still be in GA.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:45 PM

274 posts, read 952,147 times
Thanks for the insight. I know he did look at a house in Lookout Mountain once. I'll pass along Rossville.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:50 AM

703 posts, read 934,018 times
I found both Lookout Mountain and Trenton attractive GA towns near Chattanooga. My wife used to take our son to the Lake Winnie amusement park in Rossville and I have been meaning to visit the Rossville, Fort Oglethorpe, and Chattanooga Valley area one of these days.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:53 PM

204 posts, read 134,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
For the longest time I wanted to Retire up to Blue Ridge, but as I got older the limited medical care options became more of a detractor.

This is one of the main reasons I have chosen to move away from North Georgia after nearly 3 years of being retired in the area. There is practically no real dental or eye care where I live, and no medical specialties that I know of except for one heart center.

Huntsville, huh?
I've had friends who grew up there. I've Googled senior housing there but I've never visited the city. Wish I had.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:42 AM

14 posts, read 17,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnFlyer View Post
Greetings everyone,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I was just having trouble finding threads that addressed it all.

I'm trying to help a colleague who wants to relocate into the more mountainous area. He wants a place that is a little cooler, he loves pine trees, log homes, and outdoor living areas. He love snow, but Montana is a bit expensive. Employment isn't an issue as long as he has an internet connection.

The concern is that they're looking to buy a "forever home," and as they age, a 30 minute commute to the hospital can take 20 years off your life. They're spending a lot of time on Zillow, but I suggested asking here to get first hand information.

They're really looking at Blue Ridge. What is the medical community like there? Is there another town up that way that has better hospital care? For tertiary care I'm assuming Chattanooga or Atlanta is required.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yep, that’s why we chose to live on the north side of Gainesville. It’s close to everything in the mountains within a relatively short drive, but also just a short distance from every medical specialty you can possibly imagine as well as a level 2 Trauma Center.
nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia