U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,232 times
Default Perry Georgia area racial tensions?

Considering relocation to Perry GA area. White family with children. Any concerns about racial tensions in the area? Have lived in small towns in the south were there was a huge racial divide, and whites were not welcome. Should we be concerned about that in this area? Just want a place that is not too big but convenient to large city and has enough to do and everything you need. Good place to raise children, good high schools - ie no drug or gang problems. Also, how is health care in the area? Any good large hospitals? What about school system? Any nice malls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,655,259 times
Default huh?

I continue amazed somewhat that people conclude or worry about race issues in the deep south. It ain't so. I am NOT suggesting that all is well, but there is no all out war/violence based on race. There is crime to be sure. Financially fit blacks in the Atlanta area are just as likely, or more so, to be victims of crime than white people. All crime, all violence is detestable. Most of the crime we experience here in Athens is during hours of darkness in certain areas of town. Intelligent people, sober people are not out at that hour in those areas.

Now, as for Perry, I have a well informed cousin who lives in that area and he does not report any special adverse issues there, particularly any race problems. It is true that there is economic separation in the community that can also look like racial separation. Still, you find economically fit people living in the best areas they can afford.

I find Perry to be a very pleasant area although it is not a place loaded with shopping and other "conveniences". You would likely go to Warner Robins or to Macon for serious shopping. Perry has a decent medical center while Macon has a couple of high end medical centers that can tackle any problem healthwise.

For me, Perry would be too laid back and with today's fuel prices I would not want to have to drive too far for shopping, medical or entertainment. Last I recall, Perry does not have a movie theater complex. Still, for that area, it probably has, in my opinion, the best overall quality of life if you can afford a nice home of which there are many.

All the best to you.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:55 PM

602 posts, read 1,315,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I continue amazed somewhat that people conclude or worry about race issues in the deep south. It ain't so. I am NOT suggesting that all is well, but there is no all out war/violence based on race. There is crime to be sure. Financially fit blacks in the Atlanta area are just as likely, or more so, to be victims of crime than white people. All crime, all violence is detestable. Most of the crime we experience here in Athens is during hours of darkness in certain areas of town. Intelligent people, sober people are not out at that hour in those areas.

Now, as for Perry, I have a well informed cousin who lives in that area and he does not report any special adverse issues there, particularly any race problems. It is true that there is economic separation in the community that can also look like racial separation. Still, you find economically fit people living in the best areas they can afford.

I find Perry to be a very pleasant area although it is not a place loaded with shopping and other "conveniences". You would likely go to Warner Robins or to Macon for serious shopping. Perry has a decent medical center while Macon has a couple of high end medical centers that can tackle any problem healthwise.

For me, Perry would be too laid back and with today's fuel prices I would not want to have to drive too far for shopping, medical or entertainment. Last I recall, Perry does not have a movie theater complex. Still, for that area, it probably has, in my opinion, the best overall quality of life if you can afford a nice home of which there are many.

All the best to you.

This is at least as valid an inquiry, if not more so, than all the "Do I have to live in fear of the Klan?" threads showing up here. If Marlinator were going to face the kind of anti-white hatred that exists, say, in Albany, it would be better to know about it beforehand.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 3,080,145 times
I work in Perry and it is a great place. No malls. There is a superwalmart, Kroger, several restaurants. If you want malls, Target, etc, you'll drive 15 minutes to Warner Robins or 30 minutes to Macon. Your quality of life in Perry will be much better though than living in Warner Robins or Macon

Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM

75 posts, read 181,849 times
I live in Perry and will say that it is a perfect little community. i do not see a huge problem with racial tensions. not that there are none present. i myself do not base the friendships i form on race. some here, (and i'm sure everywhere) do.

as the previous poster stated, there is a walmart, and a kroger. we are getting a new publix complex. not sure what is going to be included in that. there are a few small mom and pop places to shop and eat which get great reviews. our school district has a good reputation. we have a hospital that has been able to take care of all my (and my family's) needs. the doctors are competent. i do not have to leave perry for much. i love the small town atmosphere. i work at the air force base and don't particularly care for the 30-35 minute drive one way, but i would say that it's well worth it.

good luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,111 times
I have lived in Perry for over 20 years but am not a native of here. I have also lived in 4 other towns- large and small. I can honestly say that, especially compared to all the surrounding counties and towns, Perry is perfect. It has a socio economic mix of people but the standards are much higher here. Ex: There is only one public housing facility and it has a small number of apts. Each one has immaculate yards, unlike most public housing projects. Since most people here have to pay their own way, they have higher standards. Also, the ethnic mix is about the same as everywhere 40-60 and there are practically no racial issues what so ever. If you visit surrounding areas, you will find things like store clerks being rude to you if they are of one ethnicity and you are another- totally uncalled for! However, in Perry, everyone is equal and respects each other as individuals rather than associated with an ethnicity. Most of our kids are raised with this respect for humanity in each other. It shows very much in the public schools, where the kids all apear to be from the same economic group and social group, yet different racial groups.
Again, I have lived in several small town and a large one and in all the others there is much racism toward me because I am white and among the children of both races. I am very blessed to be here.
Also, we are a very neat community where you will see no vacant and run-down strip malls, faded and peeling billboards nor trashy roadsides

Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 9,111 times
Smile I live in Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. bunny View Post
I have lived in Perry for over 20 years but am not a native of here. I have also lived in 4 other towns- large and small. I can honestly say that, especially compared to all the surrounding counties and towns, Perry is perfect. It has a socio economic mix of people but the standards are much higher here. Ex: There is only one public housing facility and it has a small number of apts. Each one has immaculate yards, unlike most public housing projects. Since most people here have to pay their own way, they have higher standards. Also, the ethnic mix is about the same as everywhere 40-60 and there are practically no racial issues what so ever. If you visit surrounding areas, you will find things like store clerks being rude to you if they are of one ethnicity and you are another- totally uncalled for! However, in Perry, everyone is equal and respects each other as individuals rather than associated with an ethnicity. Most of our kids are raised with this respect for humanity in each other. It shows very much in the public schools, where the kids all apear to be from the same economic group and social group, yet different racial groups.
Again, I have lived in several small town and a large one and in all the others there is much racism toward me because I am white and among the children of both races. I am very blessed to be here.
Also, we are a very neat community where you will see no vacant and run-down strip malls, faded and peeling billboards nor trashy roadsides
!!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:57 AM

62 posts, read 71,517 times
Don't worry about Ollie....I'm black and I had the same concerns when I moved to Kansas. I know how it feels to want to be safe and make sure you are in an area where people treat you according to your character not your color. I'm a GA native and I think Perry will be perfectly fine. Actually any place outside of Atlanta, with the exception of Macon is usually fine. Atlanta is a crime infested slum with a bunch of ghettofied folks running around thinking their attitude and behavior is okay. I must say I'm glad I moved away and I can't understand why people flock there. But oh well.....but yeah you"ll be fine!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:06 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,117,713 times
Perry and Byron are definitely jewels in Middle GA.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,117,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady300 View Post
Don't worry about Ollie....I'm black and I had the same concerns when I moved to Kansas. I know how it feels to want to be safe and make sure you are in an area where people treat you according to your character not your color. I'm a GA native and I think Perry will be perfectly fine. Actually any place outside of Atlanta, with the exception of Macon is usually fine. Atlanta is a crime infested slum with a bunch of ghettofied folks running around thinking their attitude and behavior is okay. I must say I'm glad I moved away and I can't understand why people flock there. But oh well.....but yeah you"ll be fine!
That's a horribly generalizing statement. Atlanta and Macon are both too big to generalize in that way. Especially Atlanta.

examples: Up in Atlanta, Buckhead isnt like Bankhead.

Here in Macon, people that stay in nice communities off roads like Bass, Tucker and Zebulon live a completely different lifestyle than someone staying across town off of high crime areas like Broadway or Mercer Univ Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia