U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM

18 posts, read 52,559 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

What is going on with the job market in Georgia? I have now been here for one year and I'm still having problems finding a job in my field or any job for that matter. I just had to accept a job at Target for $9.25 an hour but I'm very close to thinking about moving back to Maryland.

I moved here a year ago from Maryland making $45K and I didn't expect to come to GA to make that amount but I didn't anticipate on not being able to find a job at all. All I keep hearing is how impressive my resume is but another candidate was selected. This has been such a difficult year being here, while I love ATL and I see all the potential it has to offer...the job market is quite discouraging.

Can anyone shed any light on this or is there someone out experiencing the same problems?

Thanks,

JDomonique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM

726 posts, read 2,551,575 times
I understand you your what you are going though i have being looking for a job over a 2 years now, i have attended career expos, workshop and etc.and i have applied with companies in Metro Atlanta & Macon all i get is "although your resume is impressive we decided to pursue other candidates" and I have 5 years of professional mid-level experience working at a fortune 500 company. It Seem like in order to get a good job you will have to know some one that works at these companies that can speak up for you.... I have re worked my resume countless times to make it look even better but its seem like nothing working...

I spoken with degreed and non degreed, they all are having the same problem.... Having to settle for jobs like target, Walmart or etc.... that depressing...

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

263 posts, read 1,022,429 times
Dont never move anywhere unless u have a job waiting for you

www.ajcjobs.com
www.monster.com
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/jobs/
www.atlantajobzone.com
www.atlanta.computerjobs.com
atlanta-jobs.dice.com

Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,720,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
Dont never move anywhere unless u have a job waiting for you

www.ajcjobs.com
www.monster.com
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/jobs/
www.atlantajobzone.com
www.atlanta.computerjobs.com
atlanta-jobs.dice.com
This is true, moving anywhere without having a job secured is career suicide. The job market is hurting in every state.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
Default Jobs in GA

My sister and her husband moved to GA they sold a few of their properties and went there after visiting off and on for about 10 years. They rented a house for six months to check things out they moved back in their home in West Miramar, FL they were in Ga from March to Aug of 2007. They said it was really hard for newcomers finding work they met and talked to a lot of people about how hard it was for them to move to a state where you don't know anybody and you can't find a decent job.

We have family there but, they've always lived there so they've been on their jobs for years. So, good luck hang in there and if not move back home at least you would be able to find work where you are from. My sister has money so it wasn't hard for them to come back but for a lot of other people they end up stuck I had 3 people in my neighborhood move to GA and Move back they still have the GA tags on the cars.

You can try monster, AJC, indeed.com but, they don't seem to help either per my neighbor Melinda she's here she tried all of those when she was there. I tell people do not move to a place and you don't have a job already lined up. Good Luck just because it didn't work for some folks does not mean it won't work for others.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:53 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,815,293 times
I've lived here since '81, I've been thru two career changes due to economic down turns and I'm now again unemployed looking for work my job as a title examiner with years of experience has gone poof due to the real estate market.

I was raised in the PNW but I have a wealth of ancestors who are buried here and let me tell you I do work that into the conversation if I can.

I will tell you that it's not only what you know...yah gotta be qualified but it's also WHO you know. The last three jobs I've gotten have all been on the "good ole boy network". It sucks big time and I'm faced with breaking into another job market at the bottom again. I've been networking like crazy in hopes I find something.

I do hope the real estate market comes back because I'm selling out and moving back out to the NW where I'm from. My girlfriend moved back and with in two weeks had a good paying job with benies.

So as everyone sez don't move here unless you already have a job.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:13 PM

76 posts, read 375,145 times
I grew up in the Atlanta area and moved to Florida in the early 80's. While my employer was qoing through a company down-size, I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to come on back to Georgia. WOW, what a huge mistake! I moved here in May, 2006 and since that time I have applied for well over 150 jobs, many of which I was a good match as far as qualifications are concerned. In all this time and after sending all those applications, the result has been FOUR (4) phone calls resulting in FIVE (5) interviews. At one inerview the employer told me that she had posted the opening on Monster and within 24 hours she received over 200 replies. She said she arranged the applications by order received, pulled the top 25 applications and threw out the remaining 175 or so. This should give you an idea of how fierce the competition is out there.

Now, after having my 5 interviews, I finally have a company who is interested in maybe hiring me. They have interviewed me twice and have called on at least one reference. While the poistion is somewhat in my line of work, it is only Part Time, which they did not disclose until the 2nd interview. If offered to me, I'll have to take it because there has been nothing else.

This week, Georgia's unemployment rate increased to 6.2% equating to about 350,000 good people out of work.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
This is true, moving anywhere without having a job secured is career suicide. The job market is hurting in every state.
The unemployment rate is extremely low in several states. Your economy sounds like ours was back in the very late 70s/early 80s. It's miserable, I know.

My suggestion is that you check out a few other states with low unemployment rates. You could even start by asking a few questions right on this forum once you decide which state best suits you. Right now it seems like Az., Tx., Ok are some states down south that have a good economy. If you're looking north, I'd suggestion South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. Browse the usual employment sites along with the classifeds in the online newspapers. Just something to consider.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,578,806 times
Georgia would be one of the last places I would move to right now if I was looking for a job. The Job market in Georgia is just awful right now.. probably the worst in decades. It will rebound eventually, but who knows when.
What jobs are out there to be had.. tend to be doled out via the "good-ole-boy" network, especially when you get outside of metro Atlanta.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:26 PM

76 posts, read 375,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaTruth View Post
Georgia would be one of the last places I would move to right now if I was looking for a job. The Job market in Georgia is just awful right now.. probably the worst in decades. It will rebound eventually, but who knows when.
What jobs are out there to be had.. tend to be doled out via the "good-ole-boy" network, especially when you get outside of metro Atlanta.
So it seems, Disgusta. I thought with all my experience and qualifications, that I could get on at the Univ, of GA easily. 65 of my 150 applications have been for jobs posted by them, yet not even one phone call and obviously no interviews. It looks as though I will start packing the house this week in order to move back to Florida by October. It's really a shame because I grew up in Georigia and always considered it to be "home." Now I feel so unwelcome here. It must be all that "Fake Southern Charm" getting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia