U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Fullerton, California
16 posts, read 42,651 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&KfromCA View Post
My wife and I and our 3 kids are considering moving from Ventura, CA to Gainesville GA. Looking for info on how Gainesville compares to our southern CA surf town. We're looking forward to a slower pace of life and ready for the humidity,but have questions about

Bugs, snakes and other critters - how often and how dangerous?

Tornadoes, hurricanes?

Best towns/areas to live - we've found a lot of houses online in the Cumming/Forsyth county area- how does that compare to surrounding areas

What about crime and areas to avoid?

Any other CA natives who can share their relocation wisdom to us/

I know it's a lot - having never been to GA we are very curious...thanks for your feedback and God bless you
Hello D&K:

I can relate to your post. My family, (wife and 3 kids,15,17,19), live in Southern California and we are considering relocating to Georgia as well. The company I work for is building a second manufacturing plant in Gainesville. Frankly, I am losing sleep over it. I have lived in California nearly my entire life and am doing a lot of research about Georgia.

So far people's comments have been very helpful. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,936,871 times
Reputation: 1782
Hi! We're from San Diego originally and I'd recommend looking into Walton County. We love it here, although we are getting ready to move to Roanoke for a job relo.
Like someone else said, be sure to research alot on Gainesville.
Humidity, you get used to it. Bugs, I don't see what the big deal is except for fire ants, and as for snakes, I think I've only seen one since we've been here. A black snake in the back yard.
It's nothing like socal here, but enjoy it for what it is and not for what it isn't and you'll fit in great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Ventura, CA
4 posts, read 21,893 times
Reputation: 11
Thumbs up Thanks to everyone

Thank you all for your information and opinions, it has helped us out a lot. We drove out and stayed in Cumming for 3 days two weeks ago. We love how green everything is, how friendly everyone was, and the culture in the Cumming area was great. Not as far a cry as what we are used to in Ventura...some affluence near the lake, lots of younger, active families, lots of shopping centers and convienences. Lake Lanier was great, and we have no basis of comparison for the water level.

it seems like exactly what we were looking for, and coming back to Cal, we feel out of touch. Everyone here seems on their way to the next thing, which is one of the big reasons why we were looking in the first place. God has been great and shown us the way...we found a house in a great community in Cumming, $220K for a 4bd with extra rooms and an acre lot. Can't find anything close to that here. Found a branch in Alpharetta to transfer my business. We're scheduled to close on the house Sept 1st. Pray the financing all comes through!

The harderst part now is that our families are having a hard time accepting how far away we'll be. It's bittersweet, but we are excited to start our new life in GA. Hope to find nice people like yourselves, new opportunities, and maybe even some CA transplants who need to reminisce as soon as we get there. Good luck and God Bless you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Ventura, CA
4 posts, read 21,893 times
Reputation: 11
Default Go for IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoobaloo View Post
Hello D&K:

I can relate to your post. My family, (wife and 3 kids,15,17,19), live in Southern California and we are considering relocating to Georgia as well. The company I work for is building a second manufacturing plant in Gainesville. Frankly, I am losing sleep over it. I have lived in California nearly my entire life and am doing a lot of research about Georgia.

So far people's comments have been very helpful. Good luck.
Hey YahooBaloo,

Both my wife and I recommend at least traveling out there for a visit to see what you'll find. We liked it and are ready for our new home. We'll be out there First of Sept when our house closes.

Of course, you and your wife will ultimately have to decide if it's right for you. But we found it to be a pleasant change from CA, without being so different that we felt out of place.

Let me know if you have other questions and how your journey utlimately turns out. It would be nice to know someone else who has gone through a similar experience when we get there.

Good luck with everything!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Fullerton, California
16 posts, read 42,651 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&KfromCA View Post
Hey YahooBaloo,

Both my wife and I recommend at least traveling out there for a visit to see what you'll find. We liked it and are ready for our new home. We'll be out there First of Sept when our house closes.

Of course, you and your wife will ultimately have to decide if it's right for you. But we found it to be a pleasant change from CA, without being so different that we felt out of place.

Let me know if you have other questions and how your journey utlimately turns out. It would be nice to know someone else who has gone through a similar experience when we get there.

Good luck with everything!!
I agree with checking out the area and my wife and I were out in GA about a month ago although that was mainly to scope out a location for the additional plant. The thing is we only were out there a mere 3 days but I agree that the topography is beautiful out there. I think my main concerns are that what we are as a family will get diluted in some way if we move out to Georgia. I know this may be a silly thing to think of. I mistakenly posted a thread in the Atlanta section, (should of been in the general GA section), entitled: "Can a California liberal be happy in Georgia?" which sums up my concerns.

In regards to you guys moving out so soon I would love for you to let me know how it is going with you once you hit the ground running. In the event that I do relocate it will not be until next June because I informed my boss that I would not take my eldest daughter out of school when she is on the verge of her senior year.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,936,871 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&KfromCA View Post
Thank you all for your information and opinions, it has helped us out a lot. We drove out and stayed in Cumming for 3 days two weeks ago. We love how green everything is, how friendly everyone was, and the culture in the Cumming area was great. Not as far a cry as what we are used to in Ventura...some affluence near the lake, lots of younger, active families, lots of shopping centers and convienences. Lake Lanier was great, and we have no basis of comparison for the water level.

it seems like exactly what we were looking for, and coming back to Cal, we feel out of touch. Everyone here seems on their way to the next thing, which is one of the big reasons why we were looking in the first place. God has been great and shown us the way...we found a house in a great community in Cumming, $220K for a 4bd with extra rooms and an acre lot. Can't find anything close to that here. Found a branch in Alpharetta to transfer my business. We're scheduled to close on the house Sept 1st. Pray the financing all comes through!

The harderst part now is that our families are having a hard time accepting how far away we'll be. It's bittersweet, but we are excited to start our new life in GA. Hope to find nice people like yourselves, new opportunities, and maybe even some CA transplants who need to reminisce as soon as we get there. Good luck and God Bless you all!
Well congratulations to you. I wish you and your family all the best in your new home!
As for how the family is taking it, that was the hardest thing, leaving all the extended family behind. All of our family is back in San Diego and I am really close to my mom and brother. Telling them goodbye was the hardest thing I ever did. But once we got on our way and settled, it just became the way it was. We talk everyday on the phone and look forward to visits. You have to do what is best for your family and we thought leaving Ca was best for us...We've never regretted it for a second!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top