Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,838 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

Well basically I have been thinking of moving out of New York as soon as I finish Med School and I always loved Georgia due to beautiful houses, affordability and a more relaxed living. I always planned to "introduce" my wife to the idea slowly by showing her all the beautiful places in Atlanta, Alpharetta etc. but I am out of time since she has a 4 day business trip coming this Monday.

Basically, please help me show her the beauty of living in Atlanta area! The only thing a have so far is the Atlanta Trolley Tour Line (The Atlanta Trolley Tour Line), are they any good??? Is there some other tour agency that might be better suited to see the city?
Also I would like to show her the Buckhead area since I heard it is nice, but where should I drive, is there a "Buckhead downtown" and would I be able to see the great mansions or are they all in gated community? Is there a MUST SEE street in Buckhead, Atlanta or Alpharetta area that would want to make my wife move over there (Our budget is 1mil. but I would like her to see "higher up" areas just to entice her )

Thanks to all who respond,
Edin

Ps. We will also definitely check out the GA Aquarium, we heard it is great! Are there any great parks as well?

Ps. Did anybody visited Buckhead governors mansion, and is it worth the trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
I do hope your job(s) allow a transfer - Atlanta is not immune to the current economic problems, and it's predicted to get worse before it gets better (just FYI). So unless you already have a job offer, it's not exactly advisable to relocate right now.

That being said, the "West Paces Ferry" area of Buckhead has some of the "old money" homes around it if you like to look at older estate type places (but no, you won't be able to BUY one of them for 1 million).

Aquarium is ok. Some folks like the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga better (like me), but if you've never been to the one here, it's worth a look. Stone Mountain Park is a good day trip. The Botanical Gardens is also ok. Would seeing these make me want to leave a life in NYC and move here? Well, no. But they're nice things to see when you're here.

P.S... in months/years past, people will talk about "making someone want" to relocate. If she's not up for it - don't push. Otherwise, you might find yourself living in Atlanta alone. LOL

Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
If you go to Buck head drive down West paces Ferry Rd.She can see the mansions and the Governor's mansion.I would also suggest a drive going from south to north up Peachtree,maybe venture off around 10th ,circle left onto Piedmont Rd,drive past Piedmont Park then turn back right up 14st street back left onto Peachtree St agin.You will pass the HIGH Museum of Art,Earthlink Headquarters,then you will be brought to 17th street and you can take a left there from Peachtree and go over the bridge to into Atlantic Station.Go all through Atlantic Station turn around and head back on 17th st until you hit Peachtree again and take a left heading North toward Buckhead and East Paces Ferry which which will change into West Paces Ferry or stay north on Peachtree and seee the malls and retail shopping.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:52 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
While you are touring West Paces Ferry Rd you could visit the Atlanta History Center and then have a nice lunch at the Swan Coach House, very old Atlanta.
Atlanta History Center

Further south, toward the High Museum, there is an area called 'The Prado', just off Peachtree Street, near Piedmont Park/Botanical Gardens, with beautiful estate type homes.

The tour is no longer offered but this gives a bit of FYI about this area>>>
http://web.georgia.org/net/calendar/...63911.0.0.3011

Atlanta Botanical Gardens>>>
http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org/home.do

The area around Piedmont Park includes Ansley Mall, Morningside and Inman Park, some of the first suburbs of Atlanta and many of the original homes have been renovated. I'm sure the tour you mentioned will include this area.
Here's a bit of Atlanta trivia about our most famous street, Peachtree St>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peachtree_Street

Last edited by TakeAhike; 10-11-2008 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-11-2008, 12:26 PM

159 posts, read 456,132 times
The Little Five Points and Virginia-Highlands areas are real nice, remodeled older homes, nice restaurants, both areas are good to walk around. These areas are very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia