U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 13,569 times
Default ny style pizza in ga?

i know its not going to be the same, but does anyone know of a pizza place down here that can come close. i live in canton
any help would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,355,220 times
We've found a few good places near Canton. There's Touch of Italy on Old Hwy 5 at the intersection of E Cherokee Drive (in the Publix shopping center), and a place in Woodstock called Decio's. They used to be on Eagle Drive, but I think they just moved over by the Kroger shopping center on Towne Lake. Both make good pies that are about as close to what we left behind in NJ as we've found so far down here.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 PM

9,112 posts, read 20,406,237 times
Well, this isn't exactly a quick trip from Canton, but it's sorta-kinda on the same side of the metro at least...

Cangelosi's Pizza is only a couple of months old and is in Powder Springs. The owner and the cook are both native New Yorkers, and while my experience level in NYC isn't exactly extensive, I can at least say it's "damn good" pizza. They have other stuff on the menu like pastas and a few sandwiches, but I usually stick with the pizza.

It's a small hole-in-the-wall place in a small new shopping center right in Powder Springs on Richard Sailor's Parkway, next to the Autozone, near the intersection of New Macland (in front of the Powder Springs Home Depot). They've been pretty well received in this area, and some nights are pretty busy, filling up the small seating area they have, so they just rented out the retail space next door to them as they're going to expand their dining room (I think it'll be ready in mid to late July).

Here's their web site: Cangelosi Pizza

Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 PM

7,652 posts, read 9,269,166 times
I'm a native NYer who grew up on Pizza and lived in an Italian neighborhood in Queens growing up. Here is a pizza place we found near our house that has pretty close to what I used to get as a kid in NYC. We like it a lot.

Wolfie's NY Style Pizza
1200 Barrett Pky Nw, Ste 6, Kennesaw, GA 30144

Click the link for their website
Page 1

Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 PM

9,112 posts, read 20,406,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm a native NYer who grew up on Pizza and lived in an Italian neighborhood in Queens growing up. Here is a pizza place we found near our house that has pretty close to what I used to get as a kid in NYC. We like it a lot.

Wolfie's NY Style Pizza
1200 Barrett Pky Nw, Ste 6, Kennesaw, GA 30144

Click the link for their website
Page 1
Ok, I went there a few days ago and I guess this will have to be one of those places where folks have to make their own impressions. I didn't like Wolfie's.

I've always associated New York pizza by the slice as LARGE slices of pizza, with thin crust (unless you order it otherwise or sicillian style). I went to Wolfie's and we all got slices and these were SMALL (as in, the size of frozen pizzas you buy to make at home), and the crust was thicker and drier. Service was ok (though not exactly friendly). At least they had root beer.

I like the seating at Wolfie's (booths, darker) better than the place I suggested which has more of a generic cafe feeling, but food wise, Cangelosi's I think has better pizza. Just my opinion. ;-)

Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM

3,275 posts, read 3,724,752 times
St. Angelo's in Smyrna has great NY style pizza. It's off of Atlanta Rd. ITP.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 PM

7,652 posts, read 9,269,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, I went there a few days ago and I guess this will have to be one of those places where folks have to make their own impressions. I didn't like Wolfie's.

I've always associated New York pizza by the slice as LARGE slices of pizza, with thin crust (unless you order it otherwise or sicillian style). I went to Wolfie's and we all got slices and these were SMALL (as in, the size of frozen pizzas you buy to make at home), and the crust was thicker and drier. Service was ok (though not exactly friendly). At least they had root beer.

I like the seating at Wolfie's (booths, darker) better than the place I suggested which has more of a generic cafe feeling, but food wise, Cangelosi's I think has better pizza. Just my opinion. ;-)
We've only done take out or delivery by the pie, so I can't give an opinion on the eat in service or the size of slices they sell. In fact, I've never set foot in the place.

The pies we've gotten were all the typical thin slice with the typical NYC type crust. We think the authenticity is there. Sorry to hear you didn't like it (cool that you actually went and tried it though), but ...different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 AM

313 posts, read 705,890 times
OK...I know it has been franchised out to all the burbs...I LOVE Johnny's NY style pizza. The slices are big and its quality seems consistent. I used to go the Johnny's in sandy springs, before it became franchised. Even when I come back to visit, I still go back, and it is as good as I remember it.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 AM

9,125 posts, read 22,355,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
OK...I know it has been franchised out to all the burbs...I LOVE Johnny's NY style pizza. The slices are big and its quality seems consistent. I used to go the Johnny's in sandy springs, before it became franchised. Even when I come back to visit, I still go back, and it is as good as I remember it.
Ehhh- Johnny's is "OK"- we actually had it for dinner last night because I was too lazy to drive the extra 5 miles to Touch of Italy. IMO, they lay the sauce and cheese on too thick, and the dough is way too puffy. If you ask for "light sauce" (and they listen) it's tolerable, but there's definitely better pies out there.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM

872 posts, read 2,783,290 times
gotta agree with Bob, we gave Johnnys, Frankies and Decios several chances and it was never consistent.
Without driving a hundred miles, A taste of Italy is definately the one in Cherokee County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia