U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,166,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A friend of mine once said he's been divorced and hes moved and by far the the worst of the two was moving. So true.
LOL...Well I've been through a divorce and moved several times -- I'll take the moving any day. Divorce is no fun, even if amiable. Much more stressful than moving -- even though moving is indeed stressful.

Tiffani, where are you in Virginia -- I thought there were plenty of small towns like Fredricksburg and other places with reasonable costs of living -- of course Northern VA is outrageous -- I'd be back in the DC metro area I think in a heartbeat if the real estate wasn't so outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 02:49 PM

104 posts, read 378,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
LOL...Well I've been through a divorce and moved several times -- I'll take the moving any day. Divorce is no fun, even if amiable. Much more stressful than moving -- even though moving is indeed stressful.

Tiffani, where are you in Virginia -- I thought there were plenty of small towns like Fredricksburg and other places with reasonable costs of living -- of course Northern VA is outrageous -- I'd be back in the DC metro area I think in a heartbeat if the real estate wasn't so outrageous.
We're in Newport News. Sure, there are more reasonable areas to live, but you have to sacrifice convience for that. Then there is my husbands job, he loves working for Panera (he's a General Manager looking to get promoted to Director of Operations someday), but they just don't put Panera's out in the small towns. We need to be in an area close to other Panera's, in order for him to grow career wise. Virginia is beautiful isn't it? If only we could afford it. We just can't go beyond $300k on a mortgage and still maintain a good quality of life while raising 4 kids. If we ever strike it rich though, I'm packing up and heading home!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,166,945 times
Ah I see. Well you should be able to get a house in San Antonio easily for less than $300K and the city is big enough to have Panera's. There is also Austin too which has Panera's. Dallas would work and so would Houston. Houston is one of the least expensive housing markets for a major city in the US. But Houston is heat and humidity central!!! Much worse than Atlanta.

Judging by what you have written on this forum, I think you might like San Antonio or Austin. But I could see that the Atlanta metro area might offer the best career opportunities for hubby over those two cities.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM

985 posts, read 4,168,040 times
Hi, Tiffani:

If I were you, I would call each high school and ask them how many kids in each school can get into UGA and Ga Tech each year since you want to use Hope scholarship.

From UGA web site, North Gwinnett high has 39 kids enroll at UGA this year. From GA Tech web site, North Gwinnett got 23 kids enroll at Ga Tech last year.

I don't see any info on Flower Branch or Buford high school. Call them and ask them.

This way, you know whether it worths to stay in a region or not.

Best luck

Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM

59 posts, read 155,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Hi, Tiffani:

If I were you, I would call each high school and ask them how many kids in each school can get into UGA and Ga Tech each year since you want to use Hope scholarship.

From UGA web site, North Gwinnett high has 39 kids enroll at UGA this year. From GA Tech web site, North Gwinnett got 23 kids enroll at Ga Tech last year.

I don't see any info on Flower Branch or Buford high school. Call them and ask them.

This way, you know whether it worths to stay in a region or not.

Best luck

Hi Tiffani,

I would definately pick Texas over Atlanta. I really wish you could go to Texas again to visit. However, while San Antonio and Austin are great areas, please don't rule out Dallas. There are so many gorgeous areas to choose from and they have one of the best school rating in the country. You get more bang for your buck! I would reccommend Frisco, Mc Kinney, Allen, Coppell, Grapevine etc. If interested, please let me know, I'll be more than happy to steer you in the right direction. Definately, find out about your husband's employment and verify to see if Panera is actually in Dallas. I believe it is You could get a gorgeous home in the mid 200k. The only thing, the homes are closer together which is the difference than in Georgia.

I used to live in Virginia Beach many years ago, however I still have family there. I also have family in Newport News. My uncle before his death was one of the top brain surgeon's there. If you would like an idea about what any area looks like, go to www.realtor.com (broken link). Then put in the city and state, minimum price range as well as the maximum price range then hit search. Once the homes come up in that area then you could actually take a look at the ones that offer a virtual tour. Sometimes this will give you an idea of what the neighborhoods look like as well as the homes.

I've been to Texas a couple of times and I absolutely love it. I have family in all parts of Georgia as well. At one time I was seriously considering relocating there to Georgia, but the more research I did over the years I have decided against it because I have three kids as well and I am interested in top notch school districts etc.

By the way, I live in California, and have lived and traveled all across the US

Take Care.

Last edited by Cami; 01-17-2007 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: need to add a comment

Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 PM

I thought her choice is between San Antonio and atlanta. Is that true? I used to live in Dallas and I am not big on San Antonio. It is kind of old military city.

If her choice can include Dallas, it is different story.

+ house is cheaper than Atlanta
+ school is excellent
+ no income tax

- flat as pancake
- high real estate tax (probably double that in Atlanta)
- no HOPE like program in Texas
- economy is not as diversity as Atlanta

Personally, I am here in Atlanta due to better job opportunity. Dallas is telecom and oil based. I used to be in telecom and it was not fun for the past five years.

Last edited by jxu66; 01-17-2007 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cami View Post
Hi Tiffani,

I would definately pick Texas over Atlanta. I really wish you could go to Texas again to visit. However, while San Antonio and Austin are great areas, please don't rule out Dallas. There are so many gorgeous areas to choose from and they have one of the best school rating in the country. You get more bang for your buck! I would reccommend Frisco, Mc Kinney, Allen, Coppell, Grapevine etc. If interested, please let me know, I'll be more than happy to steer you in the right direction. Definately, find out about your husband's employment and verify to see if Panera is actually in Dallas. I believe it is You could get a gorgeous home in the mid 200k. The only thing, the homes are closer together which is the difference than in Georgia.

I used to live in Virginia Beach many years ago, however I still have family there. I also have family in Newport News. My uncle before his death was one of the top brain surgeon's there. If you would like an idea about what any area looks like, go to www.realtor.com (broken link). Then put in the city and state, minimum price range as well as the maximum price range then hit search. Once the homes come up in that area then you could actually take a look at the ones that offer a virtual tour. Sometimes this will give you an idea of what the neighborhoods look like as well as the homes.

I've been to Texas a couple of times and I absolutely love it. I have family in all parts of Georgia as well. At one time I was seriously considering relocating there to Georgia, but the more research I did over the years I have decided against it because I have three kids as well and I am interested in top notch school districts etc.

By the way, I live in California, and have lived and traveled all across the US

Take Care.
Thanks Cami!
We definietly aren't ruling out Texas, we've just got it narrowed down to San Antonio and Gwinnett, possibly even Barrow or Hall County Georgia. Unfortunately Dallas isn't an option right now. San Antonio will be opening it's first Panera (the first of many) in the Summer, and that's why they need my husband there and not in Dallas. It would be a fantastic career move. There are also some very promising opportunities in the Georgia market, which is the reason (along with having family in Rome, GA) we are looking at that area.
I've heard nothing but great things about Texas, minus the heat of course. I've also heard pretty good things about Georgia, and there are some real advantages to picking Georgia : cheap taxes, HOPE Scholarship, shorter drive to go home and visit family in VA, & major league sports (husband is a Falcons fan...poor soul ). I'm just a bit concerned about some things in GA like traffic, racial tension, and over crowded schools. Just lacking those warm and fuzzy feelings, ya know?
I've visited realtor.com and found lots of gorgeous homes in Texas. I'm just in awe of what you get for your money in TX and GA.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I thought her choice is between San Antonio and atlanta. Is that true? I used to live in Dallas and I am not big on San Antonio. It is kind of old military city.

If her choice can include Dallas, it is different story.

+ house is cheaper than Atlanta
+ school is excellent
+ no income tax

- flat as pancake
- high real estate tax (probably double that in Atlanta)
- no HOPE like program in Texas
- economy is not as diversity as Atlanta

Personally, I am here in Atlanta due to better job opportunity. Dallas is telecom and oil based. I used to be in telecom and it was not fun for the past five years.
You're right! We are deciding between San Antonio and Atlanta (north). My husbands job opportunities lie in those two areas. Through all my research I've come to the same conclusions on the + and - of those two areas. At this point I think it's almost a wash, except for the HOPE scholarship, which is huge when you have 4 children.

Decisions, decisions...

I REALLY appreciate everyones input, you guys are really helping me out here, more than you know.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:15 AM

If you decide to pick Atlanta, I would pick North Gwinnett high school district (Suwanee and Sugar Hill). North Gwinnett is good enough school that your kids can take advantage of HOPE schlolarship and get into either UGA or GaTech. I have doubt on either Buford or Flower Branch school can do it. You don't want your kids to be the best student in order to make to UGA.

check out North Gwinnett on Ga doe, it is very diversity as well. A lot of Asians, Hispanics and blacks.

Last edited by jxu66; 01-18-2007 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 AM

Just read an article from Creative Loafing that was published last year. Apparently, UGA is getting more difficult to get into now due to Hope scholarship. A lot of old UGA alumni whose sons and daughters can not be admitted now. Most of incoming students came from Atlanta Suburbs, mainly North Fulton, Gwinnett and Cobb. Most are young women. Basically, the article stated if you live south of Atlanta, the chance of getting into UGA is very slim. Very interest read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia