Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,207 times

Advertisements

Hi gang,

I know that this has been a sucky year economically, so I wonder if anyone could suggest good places to relocate to. I live in Griffin Georgia which is about 39 miles from the big ATL. I live in an apartment that is low rent and have to keep it until next June. It seems like all the jobs are either in Macon, Augusta, Conyers, Savannah, or another south Atlanta metro area. I wanted to be a hairstylist but it didn't work out. I'm now going back to graphic arts or its equivilant. I also have two cousins that live in Midwestern states. I've always wanted to visit. I've never been to the Midwest. Are there more jobs there? Is it really all remote, flat land or is there any city life in the Midwest? My oldest cousin lives in Chadron, Nebraska working as a paleontologist. Any advice is welcome.

ST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
When you say you want to work in "graphic arts", what exactly are you talking about? Desktop publishing? Photoshop work? Oil Painting? Advertising/marketing design? The answer to that question may help someone provide better answers.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times
The more Creative economy jobs will likely be found mostly in metro Atlanta...but you could also find something in Athens and Savannah (Savannah is home to SCAD).. Augusta, Macon and Columbus are more blue collar cities where you will find mostly manufacturing, and service sector jobs like call centers and retail clerk positions. Metro Atlanta will likely offer you the most prospects.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:24 PM

God I knew that was coming ! Metro ATL! That's what evryone says. I want to go back to work not get runned over in that place. I was thinking about places outside of Georgia? I did want to go to SCAD but lost interest in the idea. I hear Svannah is kind of kinky too, like ATL.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Do you have any ideas on places outside Georgia where creative fields are in bigger demand?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
If you think you might venture into Nebraska, I think Omaha would be interesting. It is a very liveable boomtown and should be affordable. There is a real lack of class distinctions throughout Nebraska, so Omaha has the interest in art without a lot of accompanying pretense that you would find in most parts of the country.

I think that is really refreshing.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times
Austin, TX comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia