U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM

137 posts, read 241,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resolute View Post
Well - looks like you will have to talk to the Georgia State Legislature about that then. The (higher) state law allows the County Commissioners to bring in Beer and Wine WITHOUT the voters approval - the voters elected these representatives and gave them the power under Georgia law to enact this - so it is irrelevant what the vote count was in the ballot vote that included liquor. Georgia Law says it dosen't matter. Go picket and protest at the State Capitol in Atlanta.
The funny thing is that the voters voted these same exact Commissioners out of office. They will soon be hitting the road. Its seems the majority of voters did not like the vision these Commissioners had in mind for Blue Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM

58 posts, read 272,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
The funny thing is that the voters voted these same exact Commissioners out of office. They will soon be hitting the road. Its seems the majority of voters did not like the vision these Commissioners had in mind for Blue Ridge.
Guess you're a day late and a dollar short then, right?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Yeah you try to move to a small country town in Upstate New York and see how well that goes for you. These amenities which you and other city folks moving up to North Georgia aren't so desired by everyone. Fannin County was fine without Floridiots and people from Atlanta wanting to change it. Why again would anyone move to area and cry for the area to conform to their urban ways. By the way if you are a member of the grammar police you might notice you did not spell demographics right slick. Me and country folks have the right to make it undesirable to live near us within the law. I have no agenda at all its yall with the agenda to change Blue Ridge into a little Floriduh or another city. If its not broke don't fix it.
Great - one ignorant person with an internet connection. I'm sure YOU really represent the community you seem to try and speak for from behind your keyboard.

The truth is I really wouldn't care about what you or anyone else thinks around any area I want to live - in Georgia, New York, California or anywhere else in the country. And your strategy can obviously be used the opposite way too - "city" people can annoy you all (apparently they already are right?) within the bounds of the law. Guess everyone will have to learn to tolerate each other. It'll probably be good for things in the long run anyway.

If I want to go move into a slum in South Central Los Angeles, guess what slick? I can! Furthermore, if I have ideas on how to govern the community via my local government, guess what? I can work to make those things happen! And any of us is free to open up our mouth and say whatever the hell we want to say about our local governments, state governments or national government and what we would like to see happen - it's called participation.

Let's just say I think most people probably know which side to put their money on in this little "battle" (they already are anyway - as thats why you now have beer and wine sales by the drink legalized). Just look at Forsyth County, or Gilmer County as an example of what's happening in North Georgia and what will happen to Blue Ridge area and Blairsville area and everywhere else nearby.

This whole thing is like the Georgia State Flag issue from several years ago - everyone is going to have to give a little - no one will get things entirely their own way - but the end result will probably be good and something everyone can be happy with (except some fringe elements that can never be pleased)

Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 17,337 times
Reading through all these posts is comical to say the least. The State flag of Georgia is the same as it ever was. We still fly the real State flag of here in North Georgia. I actually have two on my truck as many other residents in Fannin County. I dont remember ever being able to vote on changing it. Why would anyone want to change the State flag of Georgia it's not offensive in anyway. Speaking of Blue Ridge and flags and what not, what about all these liberals moving up to Fannin County and wanting them to bow down and change their Mascot from the Rebels. Again if the Fannin Countys symbol was the Rebel Flag when they moved here and they did't like it then they shouldnt have moved here. Yeah if you actually want Blue Ridge to become like Gilmer or Forsyth you really are a joke. Why don't people like you just stay in the cities. Is that what you people have in that stupid luggage box on top of your suv's when you come up here.....concrete???

Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rayser View Post
Reading through all these posts is comical to say the least. The State flag of Georgia is the same as it ever was. We still fly the real State flag of here in North Georgia. I actually have two on my truck as many other residents in Fannin County. I dont remember ever being able to vote on changing it. Why would anyone want to change the State flag of Georgia it's not offensive in anyway. Speaking of Blue Ridge and flags and what not, what about all these liberals moving up to Fannin County and wanting them to bow down and change their Mascot from the Rebels. Again if the Fannin Countys symbol was the Rebel Flag when they moved here and they did't like it then they shouldnt have moved here. Yeah if you actually want Blue Ridge to become like Gilmer or Forsyth you really are a joke. Why don't people like you just stay in the cities. Is that what you people have in that stupid luggage box on top of your suv's when you come up here.....concrete???
So what does the State Flag look like flying in FRONT OF THE FANNIN COUNTY COURTHOUSE? Hmm.. Last time I looked, it certainly was not the Confederate Battle Flag. How about the one on the flagpole in front of the county high school? How about the ones in the courtrooms? Tell me what they look like - I could care less what someone flys on their vehicle.

Too bad Hosea Williams isn't still alive - I'm sure he'd have tons of fun toying with some people these days - a march or two might just be fun - I'd love to sell tickets to the show.

Maybe Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson should pay Blue Ridge a visit one day soon. There's got to be a reason somewhere for them to visit

People like "us" aren't staying in the cities because we don't have to and if I want to live somewhere else from Maine to Hawaii, I will- as well as many others will, as they already are and will continue to do so - simple as that. You can go live in a city too if you want and no one will really even care.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:42 PM

6,400 posts, read 2,536,254 times
Quote:
People like "us" aren't staying in the cities because we don't have to and if I want to live somewhere else from Maine to Hawaii, I will- as well as many others will, as they already are and will continue to do so - simple as that. You can go live in a city too if you want and no one will really even care.
Well said.

The locals can lament the loss of "their way of life" all they like - it's not going to change the inevitable.

From the News-Observer:

Quote:
Developer: $40 million project could bring 600 jobs
BY BRIAN K. FINNICUM, EDITOR Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:20 AM CST
Howard Slaughter says the proposed complex would bring up to 600 jobs to county.
Fannin developer Howard Slaughter appeared before the Fannin County Board of Commissioners Tuesday to talk about a proposed $40 million entertainment complex that could bring up to 400 jobs to the county, along with another 200 or so temporary jobs while construction is in progress.

The “Gateway to Blue Ridge” project, Slaughter said, would include a 2,000 seat country music theater along the lines of those operated by the singing group Alabama in Myrtle Beach, and the Dolly Parton Theater.

Additionally, the complex is proposed to include a hotel, numerous restaurants and a big-box sporting goods retailer like Bass Pro Shops or Dick’s Sporting Goods, along with specialty retail clothing stores and 48,000 square feet of office condominium space, with a total project size of about 245,000 square feet.

Slaughter said talks were already under way with the Marriott and Hyatt hotel groups for tourist accommodations, and with several restaurant chains including Logan’s Steak House, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Bonefish Grill, Applebee’s and T.G.I. Friday’s. In addition, he said others had also approached the group about being included in the discussions.

Slaughter said the project is proposed for a site north of Hwy. 515 and west of the Blue Ridge city limits, where Mother Nature Stone used to be located. He said the project would not include substantial earth-moving site preparation. “We don’t plan to disturb any of the land, no more than it’s already disturbed down there,” he said. “We’re not going to do like East Ellijay and tear every mountain around here down.”

“It’s going to be a real nice venue that people coming up are just going to stop and look at it and see what’s going on,” Slaughter said.

He said the project was going to use all the local labor possible to provide local jobs. Slaughter said his group was trying to bring something good to Fannin County that would benefit everyone. “What we’re offering is an economic boon, I feel, to Fannin County. It’s a way to put people to work; it’s a way to draw more people here.”

Slaughter said Fannin County was a two-industry county - construction and tourism - and that right now construction is gone for the short term of 18 to 24 months, leaving only tourism. “This is a real project,” he said. “The timing’s right. Construction materials are cheap, money is cheap.”

However, Slaughter said, one roadblock is standing in the way of the project becoming a reality, and that is the current inability to serve beer and wine.

He said that looking at East Ellijay, first Longhorn came in, then Ruby Tuesday. Once they were there, then Captain D’s, Wendy’s, Starbucks, IHOP and KFC followed. “Whether you like it or not, whether you want to 'fes up to it or not, everything follows the beer and wine,” he said. “That’s what brings it all together.”

“It’s a population thing, it’s a demographics thing. People come in because it’s here,” Slaughter said. “They have a choice. A choice is a good thing.”

“All I’m asking this commission to do is give the people of Fannin County 400 jobs, a good place to work, good employment, good benefits, good pay,” Slaughter said. “What could this county be like if we had beer and wine? We’re sitting on the threshold.” He said the project, if it moves forward, could take Fannin out of economic depression, employ people and attract tourists.

Slaughter then introduced Randy Wilkerson of Design Builders of Southwest Florida in Ocala, who he said “is the man who has the money ready.”

Wilkerson said that in such a project, the first anchor is a hotel. He said that the first thing any hotel wants to know is what restaurants will come; and that when restaurants are contacted, they won’t come without the ability to serve beer and wine.

Wilkerson said it wasn’t just their proposed project, that there were other opportunities available to Fannin County as well, “if you’re able to see your way past the prohibition attitude.”

“Prohibition didn’t work for our grandfathers; it doesn’t work now,” Wilkerson said.

He said bringing in beer and wine would not change the county, that people would still have the opportunity to choose, just as they do now when they choose to take their business to another county. But he said that without beer and wine in Fannin, that economic growth will continue to go elsewhere and Fannin will be passed by.

“This is a $40 million project” Wilkerson said, but added that without core restaurants, the project won’t work.

Wilkerson said he had spent the past two to three months in the Blue Ridge area scouting possible sites, and in that short time he had seen several restaurants close and others suffer economically.

“We like Fannin County, we like Blue Ridge,” Wilkerson said. “We think the opportunities are tremendous.”

Post 1 Commissioner Tom Ledford asked if they were just asking for beer and wine, or if they were also looking for other perks like tax incentives. Wilkerson said no, and Slaughter said they would do it all and were not looking for any incentives.

Ledford said that 40 years ago, the mines employed 3,000 people and there was no four-lane highway, and that Fannin County had a local economy. Then, he said, the four-lane came but the mines closed and the local economy slowed. Now, he said it is not a local economy but a regional one that encompasses not only Fannin but also Pickens, Gilmer and Union counties, along with Cherokee County, N.C.

“We’re not in the ballgame we were in 40 years ago,” Ledford said. “The stakes are higher. This is a price Fannin County is going to have to pay sooner or later.”

Ledford then asked for a show of hands of who had been to Longhorn or other similar restaurants outside the county. All three commissioners and most of those in the audience raised their hands. There’s something wrong with that picture,” Ledford said. “Why can’t we have this in Fannin County?”

Slaughter said he wasn’t trying to force the issue, but the group was also looking at a site in Gilmer County. He said they would rather do the project in Fannin, though.

“If this doesn’t come here, it’s going to Ellijay,” Ledford said. “We can’t let this go to Ellijay. If we turn this down, how many more opportunities are we going to have?” adding that the county needed a new recreation center and property tax relief. “Where’s the money going to come from?” he asked.

Commission Chairman Howell Bruce Jr. said the commission board would consider the matter at its next meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 9. “I’d like to take some time to think about this,” he said. He said he could lose friends and strain family relations over an issue he has held firm on for 23 months.

Post 2 Commissioner Steve Morris said he appreciated the group considering Fannin County for their project. “This is a lot to take in in a few minutes,” he said and that he would give the matter deep consideration. He said the project, as a whole, would be a benefit to the community, but wanted to know how they could be sure the offer was genuine.

Wilkerson said they couldn’t make any promises until they had the ability to offer beer and wine, but that he could say without beer and wine they won’t come. But, he said, it was obvious growth would come if there was beer and wine. Pointing south, he said, “You can see it down the road.”

Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
So what does the State Flag look like flying in FRONT OF THE FANNIN COUNTY COURTHOUSE? Hmm.. Last time I looked, it certainly was not the Confederate Battle Flag. How about the one on the flagpole in front of the county high school? How about the ones in the courtrooms? Tell me what they look like - I could care less what someone flys on their vehicle.

Too bad Hosea Williams isn't still alive - I'm sure he'd have tons of fun toying with some people these days - a march or two might just be fun - I'd love to sell tickets to the show.

Maybe Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson should pay Blue Ridge a visit one day soon. There's got to be a reason somewhere for them to visit

I would not live in a city for anything in the world thats why I live in the country. Any time Jesse or Al want something to do besides lose badly trying to be the actual first black president or try out new hair products and Puma Jump suits their more then welcome to visit Blue Ridge. Im sure one of you Atlanta weekend warriors would open up your house as a bed and breakfast. I never said people from the city can't move to the country after all this was a freee country. But don't expect us to conform to your ways of life and values and please don't try to bring the concrete with ya. Resolute and Ray can you please give me what you think the word progressive means. Let Georgia voters actually get to vote on the flag and I bet your liberal powdered behinds the real Georgia flag would be flying high in front of that courthouse again. Would that actually offend you gals?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well said.

The locals can lament the loss of "their way of life" all they like - it's not going to change the inevitable.

From the News-Observer:

So you copied and pasted a bunch of jibberish that actually meant nothing and was just dribble that promised snake oil to cure all with no actual proof of the potion. Lame at best stick to politics in Cuba I mean South Florida Ray!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I would not live in a city for anything in the world thats why I live in the country. Any time Jesse or Al want something to do besides lose badly trying to be the actual first black president or try out new hair products and Puma Jump suits their more then welcome to visit Blue Ridge. Im sure one of you Atlanta weekend warriors would open up your house as a bed and breakfast. I never said people from the city can't move to the country after all this was a freee country. But don't expect us to conform to your ways of life and values and please don't try to bring the concrete with ya. Resolute and Ray can you please give me what you think the word progressive means. Let Georgia voters actually get to vote on the flag and I bet your liberal powdered behinds the real Georgia flag would be flying high in front of that courthouse again. Would that actually offend you gals?
I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

I have no desire to change anything in Fannin County. Even if I did, I have no power to do so - I am not a registered voter. I moved to the woods and it is up to me to adapt, which I do every year when I return to my cabin.

However, having lived through great change that I did not want or welcome, I know that there are only two options to a change in your hometown: learn to live with it or move.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
So you copied and pasted a bunch of jibberish that actually meant nothing and was just dribble that promised snake oil to cure all with no actual proof of the potion. Lame at best stick to politics in Cuba I mean South Florida Ray!
Hey! It came from your hometown newspaper....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia