Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that the media recognizes the fact that Georgia is one of the top ten populated states? The reason I ask is because I feel that the national media never gives Georgia the benefit it deserves. I'd say the same for North Carolina as well. The media never calls Georgia one of the big states, despite being in the Top ten in population and being the largest state by land area east of the Mississippi River. Yet, it seems that the media thinks of smaller states, in both population and land area, such as New Jersey and Michigan, as "big states". It also seems to act as though Ohio and Pennsylvania are much bigger states than Georgia, even though they're only two million or less higher than Georgia in population.

I don't know. To me, it seems the national media is oblivious to Georgia's population size.

One example could be the Republican race, in which the media touted Ohio as the "Big Prize" on Super Tuesday, when Georgia had around twenty more delegates up for grabs. It seems that the national media has a northern bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
You have to understand that only about 6 companies control just about all the media in this country.
They're feeding you stories and "news" their corporate sponsors want you to have and none of the stories they don't.

There's not a lot of quality, unbiased mainstream media.

In fact there isn't any.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Well in politics, particularly during an election season, more focus will be on the swing states, of which Ohio is one. The media doesn't really focus on large states that are reliably red or blue within this context.

Outside of this, I can't say that I feel that Georgia is slighted.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:40 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
In fact, Georgia is also the largest state by area east of the Mississippi River. Unfortunately, the media are mostly full of California and New York liberals who think that Georgia and most "red states" are ignorant, full of 1960s stereotypes as in the movie "Mississippi Burning.

I noticed this was a factor on Super Tuesday, when Ohio was mentioned as the "prize" despite Georgia actually having more delegates at stake. Georgia is usually not mentioned during presidential campaigns either, since the Democrat candidate (usually the darling of the main stream media) usually has no chance to win here. We're treated by the media like a "flyover" state.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM

441 posts, read 886,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Do you feel that the media recognizes the fact that Georgia is one of the top ten populated states? The reason I ask is because I feel that the national media never gives Georgia the benefit it deserves. I'd say the same for North Carolina as well. The media never calls Georgia one of the big states, despite being in the Top ten in population and being the largest state by land area east of the Mississippi River. Yet, it seems that the media thinks of smaller states, in both population and land area, such as New Jersey and Michigan, as "big states". It also seems to act as though Ohio and Pennsylvania are much bigger states than Georgia, even though they're only two million or less higher than Georgia in population.

I don't know. To me, it seems the national media is oblivious to Georgia's population size.

One example could be the Republican race, in which the media touted Ohio as the "Big Prize" on Super Tuesday, when Georgia had around twenty more delegates up for grabs. It seems that the national media has a northern bias.
Yeah I noticed that as well. The media was spinning it as Ohio being the one to watch, even though GA had more delegates. I guess because it was pretty much a guaranteed win for a candidate...

That said I feel Atlanta does get a lot of recognition and so the state benefits from that. Things like the airport and recent growth seem to help keep Atlanta in people's minds. I do think though that GA is somewhat shortchanged in terms of "exposure" though

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Florida and South carolina get a lot of publicity and recognition.

Is that REALLY what you want???

Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
In fact, Georgia is also the largest state by area east of the Mississippi River. Unfortunately, the media are mostly full of California and New York liberals who think that Georgia and most "red states" are ignorant, full of 1960s stereotypes as in the movie "Mississippi Burning.

I noticed this was a factor on Super Tuesday, when Ohio was mentioned as the "prize" despite Georgia actually having more delegates at stake. Georgia is usually not mentioned during presidential campaigns either, since the Democrat candidate (usually the darling of the main stream media) usually has no chance to win here. We're treated by the media like a "flyover" state.
It's because Georgia is reliably red. I mean it's not rocket science so I'm confused as to why people are feeling this way when it comes to politics.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Politics aside, I think Georgia (more specifically Atlanta) gets a good or at least fair amount of media coverage. The years and years I have watched The Weather Channel, despite them having national coverage, I have gotten annoyed at the amount of times they mention Atlanta (yes, I know they're here in the metro).

Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

You will NEVER see the South highlighted in a postive way by the national/mainstream media. Their anti-southern bias is nothing new though.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
You will NEVER see the South highlighted in a postive way by the national/mainstream media. Their anti-southern bias is nothing new though.
Mainstream media concentrates on the left and right coasts. Even Chicago gets very little mention or attention with a metro of 9.4 million, and it's 50% larger than any metro in the south. Even Atlanta, or Dallas/Fort Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia