U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,907 posts, read 4,013,386 times
Reputation: 1766

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
It doesn't provide the amenities of a city of 75,000, it provides the amenities of a city of 400,000 people.... What is up with you and malls? Malls don't make cities, jobs, quality of life, education, etc. make cities. I wouldn't be bragging about malls, especially from someone coming from Macon whose mall in bankrupt and is about to close.

Like I said earlier, I don't live in Columbus, but when I see something typed on here that is wrong, I will speak up.
It's not JUST malls...and Macon Mall even at its current state, is still much better than the tiny, Warner Robins/Centerville
Galleria looking, Peachtree mall in Columbus.

As of matter of fact, your reasons didnt make sense.

Education? Thats irrelevant. Any size city can have good or bad education. Whats your point of mentioning that? lol

and you said "quality" or life. Columbus does not offer the same type of advantages as the cities i posted earlier, though they are in the same population range.

I can name more cities if you'd like lol.

I'll say it over and over, until someone proves me wrong.

Columbus CANNOT provide me same type of shopping, dining, night life, leisure opportunities as cities such as Huntsville, Knoxville, Mobile, Chattanooga, or even Tallahassee. Get real man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,907 posts, read 4,013,386 times
Reputation: 1766
I've lived in Macon, Columbus and Huntsville, Alabama.

When I see some Columbus boosters comparing it to Macon, I would think they were talking about a "Huntsville" type of city, when I clearly know for a fact Columbus does not even offer as much as Huntsville, and it only has 150,000+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 3,334,976 times
Reputation: 214
Other than for the "malls" what is the big difference in amenities? I mean really a mall is a mall is a mall. Ptree or Macon Mall aren't exactly Lenox Square here folks. They are both average malls in average cities.
as far as civic amenities go, Columbus does have a rather new arena, a performing arts center and a convention center.. it appears Columbus has invested more in civic amenities then Macon or Augusta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,907 posts, read 4,013,386 times
Reputation: 1766
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Other than for the "malls" what is the big difference in amenities? I mean really a mall is a mall is a mall. Ptree or Macon Mall aren't exactly Lenox Square here folks. They are both average malls in average cities.
as far as civic amenities go, Columbus does have a rather new arena, a performing arts center and a convention center.. it appears Columbus has invested more in civic amenities then Macon or Augusta.
I personally think Macon has more places to enjoy the nightlife, better shopping options, equal or more museums to check out, more interesting history than Columbus, and of course better interstate. Access.

The way you speak, lilmusket, is that you would throw the two cities into the same boat.

Well I can see where you're coming from, that would be fair, but I say what I say in response to people who act like a person can go to Columbus and just see and enjoy sooo much more than they could in Macon, and thats just not true.

If you want to say Macon and Columbus are basically the same, except Macon has better interstate access I can live with that, just not the myth that Columbus is really just this bigger, more grand city with so much more to offer. Thats an exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,550,446 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Other than for the "malls" what is the big difference in amenities? I mean really a mall is a mall is a mall. Ptree or Macon Mall aren't exactly Lenox Square here folks. They are both average malls in average cities.
as far as civic amenities go, Columbus does have a rather new arena, a performing arts center and a convention center.. it appears Columbus has invested more in civic amenities then Macon or Augusta.
A Mall is a Mall but Macon has can over 200 store spaces and up to 6 anchors at it peak....And for a City that is suppose to have a pop of over 180,000; its kind of obvious that you would think it would at least have a Large Mall or 2 small ones for a city pop of Columbus. Also Macon has much more retail than Columbus, for example Columbus doesn't even have a Kroger or an Academy Sports, and Macon has Several Large Venues as well as 2 Dicks stores, and 3 area BELK Stores and etc. Also Macon just Completed a 9story convention center Marriott hotel which connects directly to the Macon Coliseum & centreplex which is also under going a multi-million dollar renovation as well as the Macon city auditorium.

Macon also seem to attract a vast range of big entertainment at it venues that are rarely seen in Columbus. So I wouldn't be so quick to say that Columbus has invested more in it's civic amenities then Macon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,550,446 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I personally think Macon has more places to enjoy the nightlife, better shopping options, equal or more museums to check out, more interesting history than Columbus, and of course better interstate. Access.

The way you speak, lilmusket, is that you would throw the two cities into the same boat.

Well I can see where you're coming from, that would be fair, but I say what I say in response to people who act like a person can go to Columbus and just see and enjoy sooo much more than they could in Macon, and thats just not true.

If you want to say Macon and Columbus are basically the same, except Macon has better interstate access I can live with that, just not the myth that Columbus is really just this bigger, more grand city with so much more to offer. Thats an exaggeration.
Macon Actually Has more Major Venues and attractions than Columbus I listed them in comparison to the ones in Columbus several time over...... the only thing that Columbus Out does Macon in is pop and thats because of Consolidation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,907 posts, read 4,013,386 times
Reputation: 1766
As for Civic Centers, if Columbus has done more work/improvement to theirs, thats fine. If its larger thats fine too . I mean, Macon is building a nice hotel connected to ours....it's not like ours isnt improving as well.


The Macon Centreplex looks very nice and always seems to have events, concerts, and conferences there, so I cant imagine the Columbus Civic Center is any more busy or important than the one in Macon or Augusta. So no big deal to me.

As for Columbus having a rather newer arena, PA Center, and Convention center thats cool, but do they really draw a significant amount more events than whatever is going on in Macon and Augusta?

Does not seem that way to me, so it really doesnt matter too much IMO, but thats great for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,907 posts, read 4,013,386 times
Reputation: 1766
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Macon Actually Has more Major Venues and attractions than Columbus I listed them in comparison to the ones in Columbus several time over...... the only thing that Columbus Out does Macon in is pop and thats because of Consolidation...
lol You are more kept up on the actual amount than me, but thats what I'm saying. Just living in both towns, hearing of and actually going out and getting into things in both cities, I didnt see where Columbus offered anything that was significantly more (and was actually usually less stuff going on, to me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,907 posts, read 4,013,386 times
Reputation: 1766
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
a mall is a mall but macon has can over 200 store spaces and up to 6 anchors at it peak....and for a city that is suppose to have a pop of over 180,000; its kind of obvious that you would think it would at least have a large mall or 2 small ones for a city pop of columbus. Also macon has much more retail than columbus, for example columbus doesn't even have a kroger or an academy sports, and macon has several large venues as well as 2 dicks stores, and 3 area belk stores and etc. Also macon just completed a 9story convention center marriott hotel which connects directly to the macon coliseum & centreplex which is also under going a multi-million dollar renovation as well as the macon city auditorium.

Macon also seem to attract a vast range of big entertainment at it venues that are rarely seen in columbus. So i wouldn't be so quick to say that columbus has invested more in it's civic amenities then macon...
exactly!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,550,446 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
lol You are more kept up on the actual amount than me, but thats what I'm saying. Just living in both towns, hearing of and actually going out and getting into things in both cities, I didnt see where Columbus offered anything that was significantly more (and was actually usually less stuff going on, to me)
Columbus Lag behind to me in every aspect compared to Augusta, Macon and Savannah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top