Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 35,328 times

Advertisements

I live in columbus georgia but just got back visiting from augusta. I mean augusta has some huge construction projects happening. The type you normally see in atlanta. I heard they're getting a spaghetti interchange. From just spending time in augusta for about 2 weeks. It seems they are growing faster than columbus, macon, and savannah. Augusta suburbs versus the others in growing is not even close. They're suburban areas are growing twice as fast as ours. I notice their downtown had alot of construction going on too. I have family that stay in macon, and i visit savannah alot time to time. I would say augusta does have the best chance. Of becoming the 2nd true metropolitan area in georgia. Savannah, columbus are second and third. Then i'll say macon. I wish columbus had some of the same massive interstate projects like augusta happening in the city. It would make columbus feel alot bigger. Augusta mall makes the other 2nd tier cities mall look pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 02:26 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysays View Post
I live in columbus georgia but just got back visiting from augusta. I mean augusta has some huge construction projects happening. The type you normally see in atlanta. I heard they're getting a spaghetti interchange. From just spending time in augusta for about 2 weeks. It seems they are growing faster than columbus, macon, and savannah. Augusta suburbs versus the others in growing is not even close. They're suburban areas are growing twice as fast as ours. I notice their downtown had alot of construction going on too. I have family that stay in macon, and i visit savannah alot time to time. I would say augusta does have the best chance. Of becoming the 2nd true metropolitan area in georgia. Savannah, columbus are second and third. Then i'll say macon. I wish columbus had some of the same massive interstate projects like augusta happening in the city. It would make columbus feel alot bigger. Augusta mall makes the other 2nd tier cities mall look pathetic.
Columbus is getting a new interchange on I-185 near Fort Benning as we speak. Have you not seen the construction?

Have you not read about The Grove development that is coming to Harris County? It will have thousands of homes, apartments, townhomes, and around 3,000,000 sq. ft. of retail and office space. Sewer is being extended up I-185 right now.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
Quote:
I live in columbus georgia but just got back visiting from augusta. I mean augusta has some huge construction projects happening. The type you normally see in atlanta. I heard they're getting a spaghetti interchange. From just spending time in augusta for about 2 weeks. It seems they are growing faster than columbus, macon, and savannah.Augusta suburbs versus the others in growing is not even close. They're suburban areas are growing twice as fast as ours. I notice their downtown had alot of construction going on too. I have family that stay in macon, and i visit savannah alot time to time. I would say augusta does have the best chance. Of becoming the 2nd true metropolitan area in georgia. Savannah, columbus are second and third. Then i'll say macon. I wish columbus had some of the same massive interstate projects like augusta happening in the city. It would make columbus feel alot bigger. Augusta mall makes the other 2nd tier cities mall look pathetic.
Hey Buddy i hear you got family in Macon, well its obvious you don't visit Them much do you Because if you did there no way you could say Augusta is the out growing Macon.....Macon just open the first phase of a 750,000 sq ft upscale open air mall,(www.shoppesatrivercrossing.com) which the second phase is due to open in Oct. which gives Macon its 2nd Dillards, Belks, Circuit City, Dicks and New Stores to the area like Coach DSW, Ultra and more. Also Macon a has about 5 lifestyle centers under construction all in the 200,000-700,000s qft range, one the center will be a Macon own version of an Atlantic station(RetailWorks of Georgia, Inc.). Right now Macon has over4 million sq ft retail development in North Macon...... 2 million sq ft of development in south Macon/ bibb county, Macon already has a Spaghetti junction and DOT is about to build it bigger which will at some point will be 12-14 lanes wide... also the the interchange of I-475/75 is being reconstructed bigger with fly over bridges and etc..... Macon has 2-high rise condo projects DT Macon, 2 Mid rises loft apartment projects, a river front mix/used condo project, a 4 star high rise convention center Marriott and Multi million dollar mixed used bouquet hotel and condo project in DT Macon and also the old unused building down town are being transformed into lofts apartments...

When in the last 2 years Macon has at least 5 major companies build operation Macon(Sara Lee DC, KOHLs DC, Bass Pro DC, Nichinci, Kumo tires and Kellogg) and more are proposed.... but has been released to the public.

Hey buddy I think you mean Macon, Augusta, Savannah then Columbus...... to be exact......

You need to check out the forum i made called Developments in Macon "From North Macon Upscale retail to Dowtown living"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...le-retail.html

Old 07-25-2008, 03:16 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Hey Buddy i hear you got family in Macon, well its obvious you don't visit Them much do you Because if you did there no way you could say Augusta is the out growing Macon.....Macon just open the first phase of a 750,000 sq ft upscale open air mall,(www.shoppesatrivercrossing.com) which the second phase is due to open in Oct. which gives Macon its 2nd Dillards, Belks, Circuit City, Dicks and New Stores to the area like Coach DSW, Ultra and more. Also Macon a has about 5 lifestyle centers under construction all in the 200,000-700,000s qft range, one the center will be a Macon own version of an Atlantic station(RetailWorks of Georgia, Inc.). Right now Macon has over4 million sq ft retail development in North Macon...... 2 million sq ft of development in south Macon/ bibb county, Macon already has a Spaghetti junction and DOT is about to build it bigger which will at some point will be 12-14 lanes wide... also the the interchange of I-475/75 is being reconstructed bigger with fly over bridges and etc..... Macon has 2-high rise condo projects DT Macon, 2 Mid rises loft apartment projects, a river front mix/used condo project, a 4 star high rise convention center Marriott and Multi million dollar mixed used bouquet hotel and condo project in DT Macon and also the old unused building down town are being transformed into lofts apartments...

When in the last 2 years Macon has at least 5 major companies build operation Macon(Sara Lee DC, KOHLs DC, Bass Pro DC, Nichinci, Kumo tires and Kellogg) and more are proposed.... but has been released to the public.

Hey buddy I think you mean Macon, Augusta, Savannah then Columbus...... to be exact......

You need to check out the forum i made called Developments in Macon "From North Macon Upscale retail to Dowtown living"

I predict a lot of those new businesses will fail within a year of opening too. It is way too much too fast.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Columbus is getting a new interchange on I-185 near Fort Benning as we speak. Have you not seen the construction?

Have you not read about The Grove development that is coming to Harris County? It will have thousands of homes, apartments, townhomes, and around 3,000,000 sq. ft. of retail and office space. Sewer is being extended up I-185 right now.
I see the construction going on in columbus everyday. I agree with you that we are growing alot. But have you seen the interchange in augusta going up at I-20. They have about 15 cranes alone on one part of the interstate. And troup and harris county are growing. But if you see all the construction in augusta surburban counties of columbia and aiken. There is no comparison to columbus counties. Our suburbs are much smaller and more rural compared to theirs. I don't want you to get the wrong impression. Columbus is growing at a pretty good rate itself i agree.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I predict a lot of those new businesses will fail within a year of opening too. It is way too much too fast.
Yeah because thats what you hope will happen..."Like you said a prediction one that will never happen, No way" unlike Columbus, Macon in a Economic hub for all of MGA which has a 22 counties draw with a combine population of over 650,000 and growing

Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I see the construction going on in columbus everyday. I agree with you that we are growing alot. But have you seen the interchange in augusta going up at I-20. They have about 15 cranes alone on one part of the interstate. And troup and harris county are growing. But if you see all the construction in augusta surburban counties of columbia and aiken. There is no comparison to columbus counties. Our suburbs are much smaller and more rural compared to theirs. I don't want you to get the wrong impression. Columbus is growing at a pretty good rate itself i agree.
I have seem the construction in augusta, but wait until the I-75/16 construction project began in Macon it include a tunnel and all something no other city in Ga will have but Atlanta, Have you seem growth in Jones, Monroe and especially Houston county (Warner Robins) around Macon.... Also the I-75/475 interchange Construction project is huge too in south Macon/Bibb county.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post

This is what i was telling atlcol1. I don't want people to think that columbus or macon isn't growing. Because i live in columbus and have family in north macon. Yes both cities are growing everyday. It just seem after visiting augusta that the city was growing a little faster. I have rode past the shoppes at river crossing. And I saw all the construction on I-75 in macon. But augusta has more construction going on than both. And when you add in the construction of augusta suburbs versus macon and columbus its not even close. I spent almost all of june visiting family in macon. Now have either of you visited augusta in the last two months. Because i have been to all three cities columbus, macon, and augusta in the last two months. I haven't been to savannah since january though.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
This is what i was telling atlcol1. I don't want people to think that columbus or macon isn't growing. Because i live in columbus and have family in north macon. Yes both cities are growing everyday. It just seem after visiting augusta that the city was growing a little faster. I have rode past the shoppes at river crossing. And I saw all the construction on I-75 in macon. But augusta has more construction going on than both. And when you add in the construction of augusta suburbs versus macon and columbus its not even close. I spent almost all of june visiting family in macon. Now have either of you visited augusta in the last two months. Because i have been to all three cities columbus, macon, and augusta in the last two months. I haven't been to savannah since january though.
The Shoppes at River Crossing is not the only thing going on Macon you got get on Bass Rd and Drive the only thing you can see from I-75 is the shoppes, because it teh only thin Completed.... everything else is under construction...... you mean to tell Augusta has some as huge a Providence at town center the Atlantic station project in Macon and More than 7 lifestyle centers.....under construction? Did you go to South Macon to Hartley Bridge Rd and Rutland area....... I just left Augusta about 2weeks ago to meets with some business clients and i saw Nothing of that large of a scale that would make me think that Augusta is growing faster other than the I-20 project.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:45 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
rickysays,

If you spend any time here you will find out very quickly that you are not allowed to form your own opinion if Macon is not on the top of your list. Just let Yerocal or Brenty give you your opinion. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have been told my OPINION is wrong. And I have tried repeatedly to explain how not everyone sees as they do, but I regress. You can try and explain how or why you formed the opinion you have, but it will be a waste of time. Or you can do what I do... and laugh at 'em. Have you ever heard the expression "Can't see the forest through the trees"? It fits here to a tee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia