Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:32 PM

321 posts, read 1,115,750 times

Advertisements

No one needs to be reminded that the drought in Georgia is severely affecting one of our natural resources – our landscape. I’ve got a lovely half acre lot full of trees; Red Oak, White Oak … Poplar, (3) Georgia Pine, Sweet Gum, Dogwood(s) and a couple of (Hickory) trees. Right now I’ve got a beautiful canopy of shade … keeps the house cooler, especially in the afternoon.

Sadly several of the smaller trees are dying – due to lack of water and perhaps due to the larger trees taking up most of the moisture.

One neighbor decided to remove half of their natural landscape; now they have an astronomical cooling expense. I wish NOT to do that. It also looks barren and “naked” (their yard).

My question to those native arborists and Georgia horticulturists:

I’m reluctant to trim ANYTHING off my trees. We’re getting hoards of requests and flyers from tree “people” wanting to trim and cut down trees all over NE Cobb and Roswell. I’m thinking that trimming would spurt additional growth that perhaps the tree wouldn’t be able to have adequate moisture to ‘repair’ itself? I think it would kill the tree (even the big ones).

Perhaps I’m wrong? I know that if we get a good t-storm that might encourage a large limb to plummet through the roof of the house. I don’t mind since I can get the roof replaced, but I could never replace a 100-year-old tree.

Please any advice is welcomed. Perhaps I need to trim during winter when the leaves are off the tree(s)? Would it help the larger trees if I cut down the smaller ones (some are very dry-looking)?

Last edited by rswlguy; 07-27-2008 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Font problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:50 PM

58 posts, read 134,670 times
I have been told not to trim anything, trees or bushes, except in the Fall, after leaves are down.
I too have many trees in Roswell, on an acre plus. We have taken out many pines due to beetle infestation, but not any hardwoods.
I have two rain barrels that manage to get get a lot of water that I can pour out on the needy trees ( especially my ***. maples and smaller dogwoods. Also routed our a/c drain out to where it serves a few trees. But the drought has been rough as we know.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,612,371 times
All plants and trees go through stress during a period of drought, which, if the plants do not succumb to the lack of water itself, they are more susceptible to pests and disease. I personally do not recommend doing any trimming until a full year after we come out of the drought. Mind you, I'm not a professional, but this seems to be common sense to me.

Of the trees named on your property, the one most problematic is the sweet gum. If it overhangs your house, it will not only drop live, green limbs on your roof, sometimes the entire top of the tree falls out. That is the only one I would recommend trimming, for safety's sake. But I would only trim if it overhangs the house, a children's play area, or a patio (anywhere that someone frequents the spot).

Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 PM

58 posts, read 134,670 times
thanks. We did trimt he sweet gum last year. Its the pines I watch carefully.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM

80 posts, read 350,429 times
After a 60' pine fell across the front of my house, thankfully not actually hitting the house, we had the 100' one in the back taken down. The one that fell didn't show any signs of disease. Just a shallow root system that couldn't hold it up any longer.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM

66 posts, read 207,636 times
luckly it isn't as severe in Peach County. Think what would happen to the peach, and pecan trees here if it gets worse

Old 04-15-2009, 01:12 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
I hate the fear of pine trees and people taking them down. Angered me no end when my neighbor in Marietta took every one out of his yard, messed up the feel of the whole neighborhood. I'm with you, Roswellguy, you can replace a house but not a mature tree. After living here in TX where the trees are a pitiful bunch compared to Georgia, I prize each and every one all the more.

The one tree I dislike (beside the pest mimosa) is the sweet gum. It springs up like a weed if you don't take care, is a soft wood that splinters easily and the balls are a pain. However, our first house in Marietta had two huge ones on the side and I still couldn't bring myself to take them down. The younger ones yes, but these two were massive. One rough thunder storm sent half of the top branches plummeting around the house, still couldnt take them down.

Some younger trees in a very wooded area with a dense canopy will die out not from lack of water as much as a lack of sunlight. Seedlings will sprout and produce young saplings in a dense canopy, but the tree will die off if an opening for some direct sunlight does not come about.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 AM

80 posts, read 265,724 times
do water the small to medium size trees during drought as much as you can afford. Only water occasionally but well. Keep the water inside the drip circle. My mom's house has two from the evergreen juniper/cypress family. Every year tree guy wants to trim and spray for beetles. One tree even lost single crown, split into two crowns. Tree probably at least 90 years old. we can live with a few extra needles.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 PM

141 posts, read 749,859 times
Trimming can work in limited ways, but NEVER trim this time of year. NEVER.

Consult arborday.org for some advice and wait until about January or Febuary. You'd be surprised at how well your trees might have bounced back by then, anyway. Nature is remarkable.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 PM

74 posts, read 201,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westga View Post
do water the small to medium size trees during drought as much as you can afford. Only water occasionally but well. Keep the water inside the drip circle. My mom's house has two from the evergreen juniper/cypress family. Every year tree guy wants to trim and spray for beetles. One tree even lost single crown, split into two crowns. Tree probably at least 90 years old. we can live with a few extra needles.
This good advise. It's better too to water by drip or soaking rather than sprinkling. Much of that goes to evaporation. But you can spray a tree that looks in severe distress. They will absorb some water through leaves. If you're experiencing this windy weather where you are, it is drying trees and other plants more than just heat.

Your instinct is right, trim as a last resort to saving a tree. Look for signs of distress, wilting and discolored leaves, dripping unusual amounts of sap and pest or fungus infestation. Trees and shrubs with shallower root systems (like Dogwoods) are most susceptible. Water the understory trees as westga advised. If it looks like you're about to lose one. Before you water, prune up to a third of the growth from the bottom up (if you'd like it to grow taller) from the outside if you'd like it bushier, etc. If you prune larger limbs, get a pruning sealer. THEN water. Like you thought, water is stored in those branches and leaves so it'll need to be replenished. But the tree might service and be that much healthier. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia