Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I have high confidence in this mayor, and this city council. Things are getting done, and the mayor at least has a very clear vision of where he would like to take the city. Despite the weak mayor system, the council is getting behind it a little.
Seems like he is getting resistance from the westside and southside commissioners (which is typical)..
I think the guy is smart and the biggest asset Augusta has at the moment... but the city is still in a stranglehold by the good-ole-boys that have been running the show for years.. and they have the votes.. the mayor can only be a cheerleader...to get these things done... you have to get it past the good-ole-boys... and well I just don't see it happening. I have seen too many other great ideas and creative thinking hit the road block of the old guard status quo elite of Augusta.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM

178 posts, read 499,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
In all these threads (mostly about Columbus) I excluded Augusta because I have never spent any time there... just passed through. Despite what some might think, my opinions come from actually seeing and being around a place for at least some time. Of these "second tier" cities we keep ranting about, Augusta is the only one I cannot honestly comment about. And I do not purposely look for the bad things either.... despite what some might say. The funny thing about this is that I live about 40 miles from Macon, yet I think I was called a 'Columbus' guy!! But, that is way better than being called a 'Macon' guy... that place is just nasty.
I dont think you know what you're talking about, or you're being biased purposely.
I'm not saying Macon is any "cleaner" than Columbus, but if they aren't more along the same lines
as far as being dirty, then Macon is only slightly more ghetto than Columbus.

It's not some jaw dropping difference, if someone thinks Macon is too ghetto for them then odds are
they'd feel the same way about Columbus.

In regards to "ghettoness" Macon and Columbus are kind of like mirror images, the northsides in both
cities are nice, with the rest of both cities being a mixture of good and not so good areas.

Both have large areas of ghetto, but still enough nice areas to make both cities completely livable.

Arguably the only real difference between Macon and Columbus would be that Macon has more interstates,
busier in city traffic, a skyline, and a much larger mall. This makes Macon "look" bigger.

If you, or anyone, were to say Macon was "nasty" compared to a place like Athens, it would be understandable...

but to try and feed to the people of this forum that Macon is nasty compared to Columbus is just not the truth.

I have lived in both Columbus and Macon which is why I comment on these 2 cities 95% of the time, rather than several
guys on here speaking so much on places they only pass through.

If the good folks on here relied solely on the opinions of "passing" drivers, then they would have to
believe stories such of yours, giving your thoughts on Augusta based on driving along an interstate that doesnt even pass
through the city exactly. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 PM

BTW Bulldawgfan driving down veterans out from downtown Columbus where you come to a traffic light with some projects to the left, the civic center straight ahead, and phenix city plus a couple gas stations headed to the right....is just as ghetto as driving down 2nd St. out from downtown Macon.

Eisenhower and Mercer Univ Dr. in Macon is similar to Victory and Buena Vista in Columbus.

Really, Columbus is not noticeably any less ghetto than Macon as an entire city.

Augusta, Macon and Columbus pretty much all are pretty ghetto, so if anyone has a problem with a city that is TOO ghetto then none would be for you, though I personally believe there are enough nice areas in each so you could live a good, safe life and avoid the ghetto in each.

To be honest here. Albany, Augusta, Columbus, Macon, and Savannah cant point any fingers about one being more ghetto than the other. We all would have no room to talk. Only Athens is noticeably different in this category.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 PM

Ill say it once again.. There's not a dime's worth a difference among Disgusta, Macon, and Columbus other than certain cities being closer to metro Atlanta (which is important when you need to escape!)..All three are equally ghetto..have downtowns that are ..well not exactly vibrant.. have minimal or no growth..and have chronically corrupt and ineffective local governments..

Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Greenville is bigger and better than Disgusta, Bacon, or Dumbus.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 PM

I had to laugh at this..
South still has to stave off Yankees 072808 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/072808/let_467332.shtml - broken link)
Is it 2008 or 1868? Hard to tell in Augusta.
Yet another example of the enlightened thinkers in Augusta..
It would be one thing if this Letter was some one time absurdity.. but its kind is featured rather frequently in The Augusta Chronicle. I cannot tell you how many letters have been published by the same paper maintaining that the earth is flat and that evolution is a hoax and that women were created from a rib. And they even published an outlandish letter claiming The Clintons would murder Barack Obama. (I kid you not). I mean papers do have certain editorial standards don't they?? They just don't publish any rant they get from some local kook. I mean doesn't the Augusta Chronicle realize when they continually publish craziness like this it makes their paper and Augusta look silly and idiotic? What's next? A letter to the editor claiming that Elvis Presley works at the Wafle House??

Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 PM

But I love IHOP. LOL.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 PM

Greenville appears to be what I thought Columbus was. Its a city thats bigger than Macon with noticeably more amenities that I can expect from a city larger than Macon, yet still not anywhere near as colossal as Atlanta. Seems to have the size and quality of life of a place I ultimately would want to end up in. Columbus comes off as a bigger city than Macon, only in population figures.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Greenville appears to be what I thought Columbus was. Its a city thats bigger than Macon with noticeably more amenities that I can expect from a city larger than Macon, yet still not anywhere near as colossal as Atlanta. Seems to have the size and quality of life of a place I ultimately would want to end up in. Columbus comes off as a bigger city than Macon, only in population figures.
I didn't Columbus was bigger than Macon. Interesting. A lot of people say Greenville and Augusta are around the same size metro wise.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I didn't Columbus was bigger than Macon. Interesting. A lot of people say Greenville and Augusta are around the same size metro wise.
Not even close. The greenville-spartanburg metro area is twice the size of metro Augusta.. Augusta rigs their numbers to make it appear larger than it is.. including rural counties like Burke and Edgefield county SC where there are no suburban areas adjacent to the city.. and then you have Aiken county where the northern part of it is actually closer to Columbia, SC than to Augusta but the entire population of Aiken COunty is included as part of Augusta's MSA.. Aiken county is about the size of 5 Georgia counties geographically. I think MSAs should only include the populations from urban, suburban, and exurban areas.. using county boundaries as catch alls are rather misleading.. especially when you have large counties (geographically).. you have some counties out west that are as big as entire states on the east coast.
BUt in any event Augusta (even with its inflated numbers)is only about half the size of the greenville-spartanburg metro area... so they are really in separate leagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia