Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 PM

726 posts, read 2,817,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Its funny how different people see things so different. I recently spent a year in Mobile working and I have only good memories of the whole experience. Fishing, cruise port, fresh seafood, beaches right down the road, and a downtown that is much more active than any of the others that I have spent time in. Mobile now has the tallest building in Alabama, completed just over a year ago. The top 25 floors all have tenants now... in less than a year and a half. The first nine floors are motel rooms that are completely booked up for years to come during Mardi Gras, and nearly full any ole time. Name one other city on that list that can pull that off. Based on my experiences living and working there for a year, I would not even place Savannah and Charleston in the same catagory. And Savannah and Charleston are two of my favorite places to visit. And I even think Mobile has a two story mall... which is the real barometer. At least around here.

By the way, Mobile and Charleston have a common bond. The U.S.S. Hunley (civil war submarine) was built in Mobile, and shipped by train to Charleston. It was launched and in a very short time promptly sank, killing all on board.... but that is besides the point. The two cities will forever be linked.
I'm sure with in the next few years at least 4 (Columbia, Augusta, Macon & Chattanooga)of those cities listed above will have the opportunities of 25 story high rise complexes developed and do well with leasing the space...... Mobile just happen to get lucky and start the tend first................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,765,782 times
Greenville has a 25+ story building proposed for downtown which is scheduled to start construction in spring 2009.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,036,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
I'm sure with in the next few years at least 4 (Columbia, Augusta, Macon & Chattanooga)of those cities listed above will have the opportunities of 25 story high rise complexes developed and do well with leasing the space...... Mobile just happen to get lucky and start the tend first................
25? Where did that come from? No math teachers in Macon? 475 feet, 34 stories is what I was talking about. Trying to educate you folks is getting very old. I mention spelling and get ridiculed. I list the floors and you cannot add. Y-girl, there is a reason why you have made 244 posts yet have only a reputation of 22. Can you not see that? Let me give you a hint.... spelling and narrow-mindedness does you no justice. Your peers have voted... or in this case... ignored. I suggest you read more and post less.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,849,178 times
I only found this site this month and I have already gone from bewildered amusement to a point of imaptience with the one upmanship of some of the posters from Augusta, Columbus and Macon. Hey, I am a Georgia native and I like all these places and appreciate the things that make each of these cities unique. Each one has its problems to deal with, but they are all second tier cities and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

I love Atlanta, love that it is growing from a regional city to a truly international city, but there are times I wish that Georgia was a little more like North Carolina where the growth has been more evenly shared. I would like to have seen some of the phenomenal growth that Atlanta has experienced transferred to the second cities. I mean, metro Atlanta has been adding a Macon in population every year for the last three decades.

By comparison, Charlotte has grown from a small city to a major city with professional sports and phenomenal growth, but Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston Salem have grown as well, much moreso that the Georgia cities outside Atlanta. I really would rather see Augusta, Macon, Columbus and Savannah have the growth that Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem and Greensboro have seen in the past decades and Atlanta grow at a little less frenetic pace.

But you Augusta and Macon boosters, ease off a little. It is nice that development is coming to your areas, but you don't have to go on and on with the same facts and figures (along with the bashing of your own fellow statesmen) that I have already found in numerous threads.... and I've only found this site this month!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
25? Where did that come from? No math teachers in Macon? 475 feet, 34 stories is what I was talking about. Trying to educate you folks is getting very old. I mention spelling and get ridiculed. I list the floors and you cannot add. Y-girl, there is a reason why you have made 244 posts yet have only a reputation of 22. Can you not see that? Let me give you a hint.... spelling and narrow-mindedness does you no justice. Your peers have voted... or in this case... ignored. I suggest you read more and post less.
Bulldawgfan by now it should be very obvious that I can care less what you or someone else may think about my posts, how many i have or whether or not i miss spelling a word or two....As long as i get my point and YOU understand what i mean then my job is done......Oh yeah and who tries to be that technical about how many feet add up to what number of floors thats pointless to do when you can just clearly state the number of floor you are referencing.........

Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,866,003 times
http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/15.gif (broken link)

Warning: Play NICE with each other, people.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I only found this site this month and I have already gone from bewildered amusement to a point of imaptience with the one upmanship of some of the posters from Augusta, Columbus and Macon. Hey, I am a Georgia native and I like all these places and appreciate the things that make each of these cities unique. Each one has its problems to deal with, but they are all second tier cities and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

I love Atlanta, love that it is growing from a regional city to a truly international city, but there are times I wish that Georgia was a little more like North Carolina where the growth has been more evenly shared. I would like to have seen some of the phenomenal growth that Atlanta has experienced transferred to the second cities. I mean, metro Atlanta has been adding a Macon in population every year for the last three decades.

By comparison, Charlotte has grown from a small city to a major city with professional sports and phenomenal growth, but Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston Salem have grown as well, much moreso that the Georgia cities outside Atlanta. I really would rather see Augusta, Macon, Columbus and Savannah have the growth that Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem and Greensboro have seen in the past decades and Atlanta grow at a little less frenetic pace.

But you Augusta and Macon boosters, ease off a little. It is nice that development is coming to your areas, but you don't have to go on and on with the same facts and figures (along with the bashing of your own fellow statesmen) that I have already found in numerous threads.... and I've only found this site this month!
Well let me feel you in, since you are a new comer, thanks for stating you opinions but on here we believe strongly in stating our opinions and if you decide continue to add your 2 cents you will find that we a 50 more cents to add...... I can't speak about Augusta but nothing i post is intended to boost Macon, in NO form or fashion...but only to provide informative info on the huge growth and potential Macon is has.....I also think that you are wrong about any of the 2nd tier cities ever having a chance to move up the ladder.....I'm sure there were some years ago who said the same about Charlotte and all the other cities in which has grown ......but look at them now, vibrant and continuously growing...... And so will Macon,Augusta and all the rest..... Oh yeah Welcome....

Old 07-31-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
...Oh yeah and who tries to be that technical about how many feet add up to what number of floors thats pointless to do when you can just clearly state the number of floor you are referencing.........
Ahh.... ummmm.....errr....

Quote:
...The top 25 floors all have tenants now... in less than a year and a half. The first nine floors are motel rooms...
I do not know how much clearer I could make it. 25 + 9 = ? Kudos to Bibb County school system.
Do not worry... we all need comic relief from time to time. Its like one of those comedians that is funny by trying not to be. Or maybe it is more like the reason we all look at car accidents. We say we do not want to see the carnage, but we always look anyways.
Its all green y-girl... post away. Please.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
if you decide continue to add your 2 cents you will find that we a 50 more cents to add......
(nevermind the spelling errors, we dont care 'bout no spelling)

We? We? What, you got a mouse in your pocket?
Let me fill the newcomer in. Firstly... WELCOME Saintsmarks! We all have fun on here throwing our opinions out there and bantering back and forth over petty little issues... but it is all in fun. EXCEPT if you have a less than stellar opinion of Macon. If that is the case (GOD forbid) then be ready for a barrage of posts as to how your opinion is wrong and how your one goal in life is to bash Macon. In all the other cities we talk about on here it is OK if you think it is not the nicest place in the state. Others will counter your post with their own opinions and the end result is a fun exchange of ideas and thoughts. But Macon... well... be prepared if you do not see Macon as the center of the universe, heaven on earth, utopia and so on and so forth. You are absolutely not allowed to have a negative opinion of that place. Be prepared.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
(nevermind the spelling errors, we dont care 'bout no spelling)

We? We? What, you got a mouse in your pocket?
Let me fill the newcomer in. Firstly... WELCOME Saintsmarks! We all have fun on here throwing our opinions out there and bantering back and forth over petty little issues... but it is all in fun. EXCEPT if you have a less than stellar opinion of Macon. If that is the case (GOD forbid) then be ready for a barrage of posts as to how your opinion is wrong and how your one goal in life is to bash Macon. In all the other cities we talk about on here it is OK if you think it is not the nicest place in the state. Others will counter your post with their own opinions and the end result is a fun exchange of ideas and thoughts. But Macon... well... be prepared if you do not see Macon as the center of the universe, heaven on earth, utopia and so on and so forth. You are absolutely not allowed to have a negative opinion of that place. Be prepared.
As long as there is no bashing of Macon there is no worries...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia