U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Charleston vs Savannah
Charleston, South Carolina 21 58.33%
Savannah, Georgia 17 47.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,758,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What you're saying is full of lies and you know it. Charleston=most overrated city in the south. There are some parts of downtown Charleston that I wouldn't dare step foot in.

Um.. no... and if you actually read, then you'll see I was making reference as a tourist, and, talking about the Historic district. Not North Charleston... not around Maple, Poplar, or Simons... but the Historic area. For the record, there are parts of ALL cities that you may not want to step in - no city is Mayberry.

The question in the original post, again if you read, is to compare Charleston and Savannah to each other. Not to rate Charleston overall as a city. Not to compare it to anywhere else. But Charleston vs. Savannah, and that's what I did.

Chilllll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 PM

8,927 posts, read 13,506,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I have spent time in Greer, but have never actually been downtown Greenville. So I will respect your opinion yet I am not sure I can buy what you are selling. See how that works? No disrespect there at all.
Well, here is downtown Greenville for you then: Lots of Random Downtown Photos For Your Enjoyment! That's the problem atlantagreg. Why do tourists only visit that one part of Charleston? Why don't they visit the rest of the city? Charleston is no better or worse than Savannah.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 AM

1,072 posts, read 566,203 times
Because their are certain things that appeal to tourists.. like cool architecture, history museums, nightlife, waterfronts, and local restaurants. Most tourists are not interested in travelling a great distance to go to a city and then visit the same things they could see back home.. ie..random slum areas (which indeed most any city of a certain size has), chain restaurants and malls. Iknow that when I visit any place I want to see things that are unique to that place...not things I could see back home.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:46 AM

8,927 posts, read 13,506,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Because their are certain things that appeal to tourists.. like cool architecture, history museums, nightlife, waterfronts, and local restaurants. Most tourists are not interested in travelling a great distance to go to a city and then visit the same things they could see back home.. ie..random slum areas (which indeed most any city of a certain size has), chain restaurants and malls. Iknow that when I visit any place I want to see things that are unique to that place...not things I could see back home.
Yes, but Charleston's ghetto area is really cool looking though.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 AM

3,507 posts, read 3,714,305 times
Wow. Alrighty then. I HAVE to put my 2 cents in since I actually live in Savannah and coincidentally took a day trip to Charleston yesterday.
Savannah and Charleston are both beautiful cities in their own ways. Someone said something about the silos across the river in Savannah....no, they don't have graffiti on them and never did...gah..someones over exaggerating a bit! Yes, Savannah's got bums and crime. What city doesn't? The difference with Savannah and Charleston is simple. Savannah is a lot more laid back, and a few years behind Charleston as far as shopping and such. (Just looked at the Saks in Chas and thinking, "why doesn't Savannah have one?") ..or for that matter, a Cheesecake Factory. Politicians have no idea what they're doing half the time. Charleston seems to have it's act together a bit more. Charleston Metro has a lot more population than Savannah Metro as well.
Give Savannah a few years though. We've got a few huge projects going on downtown.
....after all that said, my vote goes with Charleston. LOL!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 AM

3,507 posts, read 3,714,305 times
..oh yeah, the presence of bums around downtown Savannah vs Charleston might also have to do with the fact that our housing projects are a lot closer to the tourist areas than that of Chuck town.

ok, I'm done. For now. =)

Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Well, here is downtown Greenville for you then: Lots of Random Downtown Photos For Your Enjoyment! That's the problem atlantagreg. Why do tourists only visit that one part of Charleston? Why don't they visit the rest of the city? Charleston is no better or worse than Savannah.
That's true of ANY city, g-man. In Atlanta they tend to stick to the Aquarium area. In Chattanooga, the same.... each city that has any tourism industry tends to have those "tourist areas" that the majority of visitors stick to. People go to the Historic District in Charleston to see the vendors at the market, walk along the streets facing the Bay, or ride a horse drawn carriage. They don't go to walk the streets in the slummy neighborhoods to see who's going to aim a gun at them first and go, "Isn't that quaint!". LOL. But, this is the typical tourist pattern no matter where you go all over the world.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Someone said something about the silos across the river in Savannah....no, they don't have graffiti on them and never did...gah..someones over exaggerating a bit!
When I went, there WAS graffiti on the silos, and it was clearly visible to the unaided eye. Numerous people around me commented on how ugly it was. Now, was this a temporary thing and the city cleaned it up? I can't say. I can only say that on my last trip down there yes indeed, there was.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
i live outside of savannah and go all the time, all most every weekend and never get tired of it. i have no more drive to go to charleston because it is an hour extra away and it is pretty much the same thing. i do believe that savannah is better though, great for food (try Vic's on the River"). plus the huge frieghter ships come in and you can pretty much throw a rock and hit them. btw don't stay at river street too long cause there is alot of wanna be gangsters running around but thats only because all of the soldiers and army rangers are gone, when they come back from war, the "gangsters" go away. i only know this because i was once one of those soldiers and didn't notice them until i got out and my buddies went back to the sandbox.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
g-man is an idiot. plain and simple every city has its downfall. Ever leave 2 blocks from downtown philly, or walk into harlem? Go into Aldine outside of houston? Columbia, even in downtown it is the ghetto. Hell even the nations capital. You cannot name a town that does not have its slums, even the small ones. So a bit of advice, why dont you go out and do something about it then complain. Its easy to sit on a computer scarf down a hot pocket and drink soda and not do a damn thing. How about this, get a life. By the way, charleston has alot...alot of good looking women, which i could guess is missing from your life. chao ******
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia