Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 18,096 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband (a South Carolinian) and I (a Bavarian aka. South German) are going to move to the Warner Robins area for job reasons. My husband is retired Air Force and got a job as a radar technician there.
We have driven through the area, but didn't really get to look around much. I love South Carolina and Alabama, especially the region around Anniston.
What is the Warner Robins area like? Is it hilly? Are there any rivers or lakes? We're both outdoor enthusiasts and love to go swimming, running, hiking, walking in the forest, play tennis.
I've read several posts on the forum saying crime is pretty bad in the Macon area. Is it any better further south?
How much is an acre of land in that area? (Just in case someone knows).

Personally, I would prefer northern Georgia with all the hills and waterfalls; however, with us both working at Warner Robins the commute would be awful.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give us!

C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Warner Robins is a very nice area, there are also smaller towns close by, which are very nice, too...Bonaire, Kathleen, Centerville, Byron, Perry.
For the most part, the area is pretty flat, but these areas are very family oriented.
Lake Tobesofkee is in Macon (approx 30 minutes), Lake Juliette is in Monroe County, Lake Sinclair is in Milledgeville, and Lake Blackshear is in Warwick (about 2 hours). Warner Robins has Leisure Lake, but I think it is relatively small for anything other than fishing....

Old 06-10-2007, 09:08 AM

634 posts, read 2,922,307 times
This is a nice area, alot of pine forests!

And fresh air...
But the allergies are bad..

I have been to Bavaria and Garmisch many times, so I know where you are coming from.

There is a German restaurant in Warner Robins. In the North Georgian mountains, there is a German fun town called Helen. It is nice.

There are several lakes around. My favorites are Sinclair and Blackshear because they both have resorts there and with great restaurants and golf courses.

In Monroe County [45 min. from Warner Robins] there is High Falls State Park. It's a nice foresty area.

In the Southern part of Georgia, there are the majestic Okefonokee Swamps. It is beautiful out there.

Warner Robins is a nice friendly town with great shopping and restaurants. You will enjoy it!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM

138 posts, read 675,749 times
Warner Robins has come a long way since we moved here in 1995. We came here because of the Air Force. It's not far away from the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. There are 3 seasons here, Easter, Christmas, and OH MY GOD IT HOT. The schools are ok. High School Football is about the only thing to do in Warner Robins proper on a Friday Nite, but we even look foward to that! The shopping is getting better. We are finally getting some of the stores that Macon has so I'm looking forward to taking less trips to Macon. The mall in Macon is hands down better than the one in Centerville though. If you are patriotic, you will fall in love with the military feel of the town. EDIMGIAFAD is the motto = Every Day in Middle Georgia is Armed Forces Appreciation Day.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 18,096 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you two for the info on Warner Robins. I think we'll like it there.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times
Yea, Macon has much more attractions and things to do, and since you are outdoor enthusiasts, you should really check out Bass Pro Shops, in Macon. If you like restauraunts like McDonalds, and Cheddars all the time then yea I guess Warner Robins is alright, but if you wish to eat outside of that fast food franchise life you can always travel up to Macon.

But thats not the only thing you may end up traveling to Macon for, many of the major concerts come through the Macon Coliseum, also there are great museums like the Harriet Tubman Museum which is nearing the end of construction, the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, the largest sports hall of fame in North America, there is also the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, the Riverwalk, the Museum of Arts and Sciences, Fort Hawkins which will be a great attraction once its done being ronvated.

Also dont get caught in any major accident or anything because your gonna have to travel 15 minutes to the second largest Hospital in Georgia, and the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the area. But yea beside all of those things Warner Robins is great. LOL

Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 PM

21 posts, read 81,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
If you like restauraunts like McDonalds, and Cheddars all the time then yea I guess Warner Robins is alright, but if you wish to eat outside of that fast food franchise life you can always travel up to Macon.
You are absolutely wrong.

Yoko's Korean restaurant on Elberta Road, Saigon Noodle House and La Cabana Fine Mexican Grill are both in the Landing Pointe shopping center on 247, The Italian Pie and Dinner by Design on Russel Parkway, Java Bytes on Highway 96, along with Atlas Pizza, Sushi & Thai restaurant, Shahenshah Diner, and Monique's German Restaurant which are all on Watson Boulevard. There is also a Philippine restaurant on Watson but I've never been.

The Italian Pie and Dinner by Design are both national franchises, but as far as I know the rest are all locally owned and both of them are not nearly on the same level as McDonald's, or even Cheddar's.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 AM

^^ There is also Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse.

Also Ole Time's Country Buffet

Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 AM

138 posts, read 675,749 times
Shahenshah is a diamond in the rough. Great food and great service (the best in town).

Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 AM

^^ Indian food?

They have one in Warner Robins now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia