Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,867 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am another Floridian sick of the high cost of living, crime, traffic, rude people, etc. lookong to move. I am an attorney and my fiance is fairly skilled at languages being fluent in four.

She visited some friends in Lawrenceville and liked it very much.

As for myself I am ready to move from big city life to a quiet relaxed smaller city environment. I have heard many good things about the suburbian areas.

What would be the best least expensive areas to move to considering my skills and education.

Any input would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times
You are looking to get away from traffic yet you want to move to the Atlanta area ? If you dont like traffic don't even consider moving to suburban Atlanta.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,326 times
OP-I too moved from S. Fla for most of the reasons you mentioned. I love it here and would never move back. We recently visited family there this summer and while we miss being close to them, I couldn't stand to live there again. As far as your original question, it all boils down to what you are looking for...are you married with children and looking for a good school system? Are you single and looking for a great scene with lots to do? Are you married and you and your s/o into fishing, camping etc? As for Lawrenceville, it's okay, but there are much nicer areas IMO in Gwinnett.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
Another S. FLoriduh escapee here.

It depends on where you are going to work. That's the biggest thing here. Work should be near home, home should be near work. No kidding.

Traffic is bad here, no escaping it. Don't know where in Fla you are, but think 595 backed up with accidents all day, everyday.

Are you planning on having kids at all? Schools, another big deal here. What is your price point for housing?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 12,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
Another S. FLoriduh escapee here.

It depends on where you are going to work. That's the biggest thing here. Work should be near home, home should be near work. No kidding.

Traffic is bad here, no escaping it. Don't know where in Fla you are, but think 595 backed up with accidents all day, everyday.

Are you planning on having kids at all? Schools, another big deal here. What is your price point for housing?

It would be just me and my fiance and her 12 year old child. I would live in the suburb but close enough to work in the metropolitan area.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Can you come for a short visit? Hook up with a realtor (plenty of recs on that one) and have him/her give you the dime tour based on your criteria. Then you'll be in a better position to buy in an area you like that's not too far from the city. I think you'll be happy here.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM

25 posts, read 171,189 times
I like Oconee County, I live in a SD called Sims Crossing off Hwy 53, 1/2 hour ride to Athens and 1 hour ride or 50 miles to downtown ATL. Oconee Co. has outstanding schools, there are many SD in this area,one up for sale in our area, plus we are 10 min. fro The Ga Club, if you golf that is a good place to visit.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
I would recommend the North Atlanta cities- Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta. I would consider that swatch the most like "suburbia"- mostly white middle upper class, good schools, recreation, affordable homes.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 AM

165 posts, read 548,816 times
If you can ignore the constant congestion downtown, the clogged and crawling interstate connectors, the congested roads in the exploding growth burbs, ignorant drivers who run about 85-100 zig zagging in traffic and down the emergency lans, the first 20 minutes of the 30 minute local news discussing home invasions and musrders, and finally the weekly fatality wrecks, then come on up. You'll love it.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
I highly recommend Athens or its surrounding counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia