U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,125 times

Advertisements

I have geard a lot of great things about Athens, but wanted an insider's opinion. It is one of several places I am considering a job. #1 is it safe? #2 What are the better areas/neighborhoods to live in? (I am an urban guy and prefer areas where I can walk/bike) #3 What places should I definately check out on my visit? #4 How does Athens compare with opther cities in Georgia like Augusta, Savannah, Macon, and Columbus?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 04:24 PM

25 posts, read 156,940 times
Yes its safe, but has crime as does all area's , it is a up an coming town, college towns always have a better than normal economy as well, most neighborhoods are fine, I would hook up with a local realtor. Good luck
My wife works in Athens.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,020,271 times
I'm not an insider, but we visited and thought it was a fabulous town. I love the layout of the downtown, the variety of the shops and cafes and restaurants, and we loved the tree-lined streets. The university is in the middle of it all, and it is quite beautiful. Some of my favorite neighborhoods seemed to be on the near Westside. You have to visit to see how lovely it really is. Our concern was that the public schools were not well-regarded and there was or still is a drought situation. Hopefully you will get more feedback from locals.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 18,628 times
I graduated from UGA in 2005, and from what I witnessed, as a pizza delivery gal for a semester or two, is that the west side, which remains more rural and suburban, is the more pristine part of town. There are several ghettos in Athens, especially across from the high rise dorms, down Atlanta Hwy past Milledge and the Westchester circle area. If you choose to live close to downtown Athens, there are some lofts. However, your roomate will most likely be a partying college student. So, if you plan on doing to bed around 1am on a Saturday night, especially a game night, parties everywhere are sure to abound. The Woodlands of Athens is a nice area...it tries to mimic the upscale suburban lifestyle that many of UGA's students call home. You could possibly get your own place there. It has hardwood floors, fireplaces, upscale amenities. However, you still will find yourself hanging out with 19-23 year-old partiers. So, when I went to school there, it seemed to be either college students, or low-income families that occupied the neighborhoods.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM

35 posts, read 149,390 times
The same person who owns Woodlands of Athens renovated an historic church into superb upscale condos. Purchases only. They are within walking / biking distance of downtown. It is one of the few developments I can think of where you can truly live the Urban condo life and without fear of having a partying college student as a neighbor.
I have lived in Athens for almost 20 years now. I don't think crime is bad. The worst I have experienced is theft from my car; and that is worse closer to downtown. So, what you give up for living Urban Chic is a greater chance of run-ins with theft. The condos I mentioned above have security alarm systems and motion sensor parking lot lights. Plus, all of the tenants know each other and look out for each other. It would be my recommendation for you to check them out.
If you wanted to go suburban, the east side has many nice neighborhoods, but it is not going to offer you the opportunity to bike to work, etc.
Please contact me directly if you want more information about properties and locations in the area . . . we are not allowed to advertise in the blog posts! (706) 201-7363; juliehaley@charter.net.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 PM

76 posts, read 375,655 times
Here are some tips from an "Insider." The better urban neighborhoods are west and northwest from the center of town, (Broad St west to Milledge; Milledge north to Boulevard; Boulevard east to Pulaski and Pulaski south to Broad). The center part of town is an easy walk or bike ride from these neighborhoods. There are other nice neighborhoods to the south of town such as the Five Points area, but not too easy of a walk to town. A bike ride from the south side is do-able.

There are many houses for rent within these areas. Most of the leases in this town begin on July 1st and end on June 30th. But watch out, because your landlord most likely will insist you renew your lease, (known here as a Pre-lease), 4 to 5 months before the end of your current lease. This makes it difficult to leave your current rental.

Jobs are not as easy to come by in this town unless you have experience in entertainment, retail, restuarants or bars. There are two, (soon to be 3) hospitals here so if you are in the medical profession, that will give you some opportunity there. DO NOT expect to be easily hired on at The University of Georgia, unless you are seeking a teaching position. Much to my surprise, I have found that UGA is NOT an equal opportunity employer. I have applied for over 60 job openings for Secretarial positions at UGA within the last year and not once have I received a phone call to schedule an interview. I have heard through the "grapevine" that UGA posts job openings on their web site for positions which are actually already filled by someone on the inside. A two or four year degree will help you at least get a phone call to set set up an interview. Those folks with just some college or only high school diplomas are at a disadvantage as far as competition goes. The average pay scale here ranges from $6.55 to $10.00 per hour for non-degreed job seekers, with most office jobs ranging between $8.00 to $10.00 per hour. Many office jobs are part time at best.

The entertainment in this town is second to none. The immediate downtown area, (Broad west to Pulaski; Pulaski north to Washington; Washington east to Thomas and Thomas south to Broad) is considered a mecca for live entertainment, shopping and eating. Best places for live music are The 40 Watt Club, (of course), Tasty World, The Georgia Theater, The Caledonia Lounge and the Melting Point, but there are many other good clubs scattered about town. Good restuarants include, The Grit, (world famous for vegetarian fare), The Basil Press, The Grill, (open 24 hours in the center of town), Doc Shey's Noodle House, The Mellow Mushroom, Little Italy Pizza and The Broad Street Bar & Grill. Again there are many other great places from which to choose. These just happen to be some of my favorites. Just a little way away from the center of town closer to the UGA campus is a place called the Blind Pig Tavern, which is famous for "fried pickles." Definately worth a bike ride to that place.

We do have a Mall. Yes that's right, on the west side, but actually it's considered to be in the next community over called Bogart. There are two super Wal Marts, two Lowe's, one Target, one Home Depot plus many other shops, stores, hotels and small businesses within the general 7 (+/-) mile radius of the center of town. We also have a civic center, known as The Classic Center, which hosts live performances, trade shows, conventions and such.

Crime? Well I guess so far I'm fortunate to be able to say I haven't been affected by crime, but as with any community it does exist. I prefer to think it is on a much smaller scale here in Athens in comparison to a larger metropolitan area like Atlanta.

Good luck with your move. You may PM me for more details if you wish.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:15 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,585,937 times
Athens is first and foremost a college town.. but great for families and young professionals as well. Athens has also ben attracting a large number of retirees in recent years because the cost of living is low and their lots of great restaurants, cultural attractions, and other amenities that many smaller cities lack.
I would most definately live in Athens.. It's really about the only place outside metro Atlanta I would live in Georgia. If you are young and enjoy a vibrant urban village environment then you will most likely love Athens.
As far it comparisons to places like Disgusta and Macon....Athens shouldm't even be put in the same sentence as those two places.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 PM

81 posts, read 320,465 times
Athens was ranked the second safest city in Georgia, is considered "green", is much cheaper than nearby Atlanta, is walkable and has a decent economy still. It's still small town but has huge amenities because of UGA.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,125 times
Default Thanks for the info

I just got back from visiting Athens and was very impressed and it has definately moved to the top of my list. The downtown is wonderful and fits my lifestyle and personality perfectly. I also visited Augusta (since it offered a possible job opportunity).. it provided a good juxtaposition to Athens in every way and helped me make up my mind toward Athens. Thanks for all of the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia