Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 22,782 times

Advertisements

I'd trade Columbus for San Diego... that's a beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,891 times
Well, a large number of Kia employees live in Columbus and Harris county also, but that's not the point. The person can car pool from either place, but Columbus is still closer and it takes less time to get to his/her place of employment and still has a lot more to offer than Newnan does. If I were choosing I would choose the shorter commute and better amenities. But that's just my personal choice. By the way, I have tried Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver and Columbus. My number one choice is Denver, but my family does not like the winters, so Columbus won. All the conveniences of a city without 5 million people.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu630 View Post
I'd trade Columbus for San Diego... that's a beautiful city.
I would too. My only complaint, it only has one season.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:35 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Well, a large number of Kia employees live in Columbus and Harris county also, but that's not the point. The person can car pool from either place, but Columbus is still closer and it takes less time to get to his/her place of employment and still has a lot more to offer than Newnan does. If I were choosing I would choose the shorter commute and better amenities. But that's just my personal choice. By the way, I have tried Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver and Columbus. My number one choice is Denver, but my family does not like the winters, so Columbus won. All the conveniences of a city without 5 million people.
How could anyone choose Columbus over Denver ? I have nothing against Columbus, but Denver is a much nicer place.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
How could anyone choose Columbus over Denver ? I have nothing against Columbus, but Denver is a much nicer place.
My wife didn't like the winter. It gets somewhat colder than the Southeast. But you are right, the city was very nice.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 AM

165 posts, read 548,715 times
Look at the AL border as well. Hear alot of folks relocating next door for savings benefits.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Don't discount LaGrange, it is not that small, 30,000 and the central shopping/medical center for a several county area. When I was growing up in Hogansville 12 miles up the road toward Altanta, LaGrange was considered significantly larger than Newnan. Newnan's growth is metro Atlanta suburban growth. While not spectacular, LaGrange has had stable growth (compared to other areas in the region that have languished) by diversifying its industrial base in an area where the textile industry once ruled. It is not considered a bedroom community of either Columbus or Atlanta.

LaGrange High School has always had a good reputation, the other Troup County schools aren't bad. The Callaway foundtion has poured millions back into the community. You would be ten minutes or so from Kia. There are gorgeous homes in the historic areas close in and nice subdivisions all around. West Point Lake is right at the western city limits. Many new developments are planned. LaGrange College adds to the overall ambiance and West Georgia Technical College is there as well, Newnan has neither of these. I would also rate West Georgia Medical Center in LaGrange as superior to the medical offerings in Newnan.

LaGrange will feel more "southern" than Newnan because of the latter's large number of transplants but being a southerner, that appeals to me and might not to you. Another downside to Newnan is that the growth has outpaced the infrastructure and traffic can be bad.

I am not against Newnan, but don't agree that LaGrange should be dismissed right off the bat. Personally, I would choose either of these rather than Columbus. Don't dislike Columbus, but if you are going to do that kind of commute and want more of an urban feel, it seems to make more sense to live toward Atlanta and go against the traffic to West Point.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 08-10-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,834 times
Newnan is the best choice considering fuel cost, commute time, and city of Newnan has lots of shopping,malls,cinema, restaurants etc. It's also a 20-25 min drive from Atlanta airport.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM

893 posts, read 790,768 times
A lot of the Kia Management are buying in Newnan.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM

150 posts, read 395,250 times
I live near Columbus and have all my life. Several years ago we thought we were going to have to move to Newnan so I am very familiar with Newnan and it is a very nice city but within a few years it will be overcrowded and this already the trend. I would recommend looking at homes in Harris County- within 15 minutes from the plant. It has large lot homes with lots of trees and offers that quiet atmosphere but Columbus is only 30 minutes away so if you want that city vibe then look at Greystone properties- look it up online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia