U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,920 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the information about several cities in GA. My husband may be transferred to GA, working with Dow Chemical. We aren't sure yet where in GA. There are plants in Marrietta, Duluth, Evans and Dalton, or close to these areas. We aren't familiar with the area that much, as we only visited twice in the last few years. We were hoping to live within 15 miles or so of his work, but now we are nearly scared to death to move to GA at all!All of the info sounds like GA is a horrible place to try to have a safe home. We have no children at home anymore, so schools are not a problem. We did go and look around a few years ago, finding Marietta just beautiful,but very heavy traffic and growing very fast.Anyone out there have any information about the areas close to the Dow Chemical plant sites? Any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 05:16 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,825,539 times
I think it is going to be hard to answer your questions until you find out which plant your husband will be working at. I do want to make one point though. You say you want to live within 15 miles of the plant. 15 miles is going to take you much longer in Marietta or Duluth then in Dalton or Evans. Is there a specific commute time your are looking for?

Old 01-27-2007, 08:29 PM

xxman777,
Thanks for your reply. We were just hoping that he would not have to travel a long distance like he has in the past- about an hour.We have been tranferred to TX for three years now, and he's been blessed to only drive about 25 minutes to get to his job.We were hoping that those long commuting days would be in the past. We aren't sure about which plant he may be transferred to, just a hint that it will probably be in GA.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:50 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,825,539 times
I'm not really familiar with Dalton or Evans but I can tell you that Marietta and Duluth areas are heavily congested. However the cost of living isn't bad here so an affordable place near the plants in a good area probably isn't unrealistic. I'm not sure exactly where either plant is, maybe another poster can clue us in?

Dalton is known as the carpet capital of the world and has several carpet plants. Off course they need a lot of cheap labor to run the plants. I think you can fill in the blanks. I'm not really familiar with Evans. Either area isn't going to have the traffic problems of the Atlanta area so that would be a plus.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:22 AM

291 posts, read 1,252,485 times
What bout Kennesaw? it is close to Marietta and suppose to be nice, but I am waiting on more repsones myself. We also are praying for a transfer down that way, and if we do move, I am considering the Kennesaw cause I heard it was nice and country like, but is close to Marietta which has shopping and etc...not suppose to be as spread out as Cartersville but not as built up as Marietta...good luck in your search.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the (above) information! I have looked into Kennesaw on the net, but it' so hard to tell what's what. I did hear a little about Dalton,very negative, so I hope to stay clear of there! Anyone out there living in Kennesaw????Cartersville was nice, and looked "homey".Worried about the commute to Marietta,though. How long? The train situation seems bad, and I am wondering if there is an emergency, how long does it take to get to the nearest hospital, things like that, if a train is blocking your way for long periods of time?Not much around there as far as restaurants, things to do, when we visited about 4 or 5 years ago. We are in our early 50's and would like to find a quite (safe) place, but not too boring! Also, looking for a great Apostolic church.Any help appreciated!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,382 times
Kennesaw is nice. You will like it. We are from FL and are moving to GA this summer. We looked at many places before deciding on our area. We drove to Kennesaw and spent some time looking in that area as well and we were pleased that it has everything that we have down here, and seemed to be nice and clean as well.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
You Were Talking About Moving To Georgia, And Being Scared To Move To The Atlanta Area, And You Should Be, But There Are Area's You Can Move,that Will Be Close Enough To Drive To Work Everyday. If I Were You The Closest To North, Ga You Get The Better. If You Will Be Working In Duluth,ga, Braselton,ga Is A Great Place To Live. It Is About 15 Minutes North Of Duluth. Jefferson,ga In Jackson County Is Also A Good Place To Live And Quiet As Well, But It Is About 10 More Minutes North, So About A 25 - 30 Minute Drive To Duluth. Maybe This Will Help.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,584,258 times
Both Marietta and Duluth are in north metro Atlanta... so you have a lot more available to you than the other locations. Gwinnett and Cobb county both have good school systems. Evans is a relatively attractive suburban area.. but it's part of Augusta.. which is a big negative. You should be happy in north metro Atlanta.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:57 AM

3,482 posts, read 4,018,549 times
If Duluth ends up being the job location, I think the Braselton suggestion might be a good one (the town that Kim Basinger bought and sold). You will want to avoid living in the congestion of the Duluth and Mall of Georgia area, although you will definitely want to shop there!

If Marietta is the job location, then Kennesaw might be the solution with a 30-min drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or