Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:18 PM

13 posts, read 45,500 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to GA next year. We currently live in a small town in western PA, I am currently working on my Masters in Education and am looking for a teaching position in GA. I know Savannah is in need of teachers, but I read alot about crime. We also visited Gainesville GA over thanksgiving, and we like North GA. We are looking for a small town, good jobs, LOW crime rates, familiy oriented, Avg. cost of living, and just a great place to raise our young daughters. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 07:51 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,133 times
Quote:
I know Savannah is in need of teachers, but I read alot about crime
In the inner city yes, but not the County, Islands, and suburbs.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 PM

233 posts, read 1,227,047 times
Where is western Pa are you? I am from a small town south of Pittsburgh.
Anyways, yes, Savannah is in need of teachers. So come on down. There are plenty of safe areas around Savannah. The islands are nice, too close to the water for me. The southside is a great area. Close to everything, good schools, and affordable. Pooler, Bloomingdale, and Port Wentworth are good areas, good schools, lots of new subdivisions and older homes, and growing. Effingham county has really good schools, new subdivisions, good area, homes with land, and is growing as well. Feel free to contact me if you need any more info. One thing we don't get here is snow....lol. So, you can leave your snow blower or snow shovel behind!

Old 01-31-2007, 09:03 AM

I am from Derry/Latrobe Area. my husband and I live now live in Ligonier

Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 AM

Do you know much about Rincon or Richmond Hill? My husband and I are coming down in March to visit family in hilton head and we are thinking about checking these places out. My husband is a contractor and is interested in flipping houses. Is Savannah a good place to do this in your opinion. THank you for your help.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I believe the term "flipping houses" might be considered by some as a term close to profanity. It's considered opportunistic and not in step with the mores of many local communities. It also implies that the work was done "on the cheap". Flipping houses as I understand it tends to take advantage of relatively low prices and drives them out of reach of ordinary residents.

I'd be very careful about using that term in your new community unless you feel very secure about who your friends are. Savannahians, in general, are very proud of the historic nature of their city and would tend to shun any contractor who attempts to do low quality work as a means of making money quickly.

Last edited by ellie; 01-31-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 11:59 AM

27 posts, read 174,211 times
Default Savannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyPSU View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to GA next year. We currently live in a small town in western PA, I am currently working on my Masters in Education and am looking for a teaching position in GA. I know Savannah is in need of teachers, but I read alot about crime. We also visited Gainesville GA over thanksgiving, and we like North GA. We are looking for a small town, good jobs, LOW crime rates, familiy oriented, Avg. cost of living, and just a great place to raise our young daughters. Any suggestions?
I know nothing about Gainesville and only about Savannah from frequent visits. I have walked around Savannah at night and never encountered a problem. That does not mean there is no crime there, just that I have never encountered any and I have visited many times. It is a lovely city and wonderful if you enjoy walking. Lots of history and beautiful old houses. The riverfront is very pleasant. Like most of Georgia the heat and humidity during the summer is stifling.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:54 PM

Ellie, I appreciate your help with my use of terminology, however, here in the north and most other places that I have visit, the term "flipping houses" is positive. It does not mean fixing up houses cheap and then asking for an astronomical amount of money. In fact, it means taking run down property. Property that most wouldn't set foot in, and making it beautiful and yes profitable. If making a town beautiful again is a sin, well then I guess most "flippers" would be found guilty. I personally am looking forward to visiting and perhaps moving to Savannah. After reading about the crime and the condition of the city, I have my reservations. However, you cant believe everything you read and hear about a place without seeing it and I hope that you do not believe everything you hear and read about flipping houses.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
With all the revitalization underway in Atlanta--another term that can have a negative connotation is 'Infill Housing'. In older neighborhoods zoning regulations have been amended to allow smaller/older homes to be torn down and large 'mansions' to be built in the community. The house next to my mother's will be torn down this month. She worries that taxes will go up on her house; lives on a fixed income.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 PM

27 posts, read 174,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
With all the revitalization underway in Atlanta--another term that can have a negative connotation is 'Infill Housing'. In older neighborhoods zoning regulations have been amended to allow smaller/older homes to be torn down and large 'mansions' to be built in the community. The house next to my mother's will be torn down this month. She worries that taxes will go up on her house; lives on a fixed income.
Sadly, she is probably right. I have never understood why anyone would want more house than they need anyway. Maybe it is some kind of warped status thing. I would much rather spend my money on travel and food! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia