Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 AM

7 posts, read 34,361 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Georgia to become a TAPP teacher and I'm unsure which area would be best to move in. I want to live in a suburb that's quiet and diverse. The main public schools systems that I see that hire a large number of TAPP teachers are the Atlanta Public Schools and Clayton County Public Schools. I don't want to actually live in the city but maybe a neighboring suburb that wouldn't require a long drive to work, that's safe and clean.

When I read on the forums whenever someone asks for relocation advice, they ask for a little background. So my husband and I are both 24 year old African Americans, pursuing advance degrees, no children yet, don't really care for night life or partying, both looking to become teachers and would like a place to rent that is in a reasonably priced area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - regarding the relocation or experience as a teacher in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,819 times
Default New Teaching Looking to Relocate

I am also looking to be a TAPP teacher. I currently live in Alpharetta, GA. It's nice but it's not that diverse (I'm African American). You may want to look at Roswell, Duluth or Norcross...

I have heard horrible things about Atlanta and Clayton Schools. They hire a lot of TAPP teachers because the turn over is so high (I heard it's around 60%).

I would suggest Forsyth, Cobb Co, Henry Co, Gwinnett Co schools. If your looking to teach in Fulton Co, I would suggest you teach in the northern part of the county, like Alpharetta or Roswell.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:33 AM

5 posts, read 26,924 times
Morning, what is a TAPP teacher?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
adrienne

I don't think most of those systems that you mentioned hire many TAPP teachers --the stronger the system, the less the demand is for TAPP teachers.

Frankly, I less than impressed with what I hear about the TAPP program, period. Regardless of where you end up teaching, you are not likely to get the support and mentoring you really need.

TAPP is alternative certification program for people wishing to go into teaching but who don't have a degree in education. In concept, it is good. IN Metro Atlanta, good schools have no problem getting certified teachers. TAPP teachers mostly end up in weaker systems and in the weakest schools.

(There may be some exceptions to this in the high needs area of special ed, science and math.)

http://www.gapsc.com/GATAPP/home.asp

Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 26,924 times
Thanks. I figured as much. I am an educator in Arkansas. The teacher shortage in AR has diminished to some degree. This is my tenth year, but there is still and undoubtedly will continue to be a major shortage in Math and Science and Special Education. The Alternative Certification, from what I have heard is rigorous, as it should be, and as a result these teachers are welcomed. So if anyone is interested you may want to check into it. I am looking to get into administration in the next few years, so I am looking at all surrounding states. Any suggestions or info.?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 AM

17 posts, read 47,095 times
I've taught elementary school in 3 GA counties - Gwinnett, Henry, and Fayette, and I grew up in Clayton County. Clayton county's demographics have changed dramatically in the past 15 years. It was a diverse area, but has become mainly african american. There is also a very large hispanic population, which has become a large burden on teachers and schools due to the language barriers, etc. Clayton County has had its accreditation taken away due to problems with the School Board (I think it has been reinstated). I think that teachers were leaving them as fast as they could, leaving a major shortage behind. So, is housing affordable there? YES. Can you find a teaching job there, YES, most likely. Is it safe? Maybe, maybe not, depending on where you lived. There are drug problems there, and crime is an issue in my opinion. You may be comforable living in Henry County or Fayette County, where you could easily drive to Clayton County without a long commute, from most areas.

I had a great experience teaching in Gwinnett County (had support administration, etc.) It is a very large county with a large student population, diverse in most areas. Some areas (closer to Atlanta I believe) will be more diverse and, again, there will be more hispanic students in some areas. I was in the Grayson/Loganville/Snellville area, and it was nice and clean. The year I taught there they had a huge job fair - 2000 people I believe (you had to register and be interviewed at the job fair). I don't know what the outlook is for next year, though.

I can't say much for Henry County, I was miserable there. I taught in Stockbridge, mostly low income families, diverse, but I only stayed there for one year before moving north to Gwinnett. The problem, in my opinion, was a combination of poor administration and lack of support for education in the community. I had several students with behavior problems and it made it difficult for me. I think I just had a bad year and bad luck, too.

Fayette County is smaller and is only hiring in high need areas right now. I tried to go back as a regular teacher this year after staying home for 2 years with my chilren, and they weren't even accepting applications.

Coweta County is also nice, diverse, and affordable. We lived in Senoia and really liked it but got transferred to TN.

Are you familiar with the DOE website for GA? You can view test scores, demographics, etc, for the state, district, and school level using the report card. I found it very useful in helping decide where to teach and live, especially if you plan on having children. Use the tabs at the top to navigate. The data is a few years old, however, so keep that in mind.
2005-2006 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia