U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 23,633 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Mississippi, but will be relocating to VA. My mother has come down to visit for a while, but my time left here is fastly approaching. I would like to see her relocate to an area in Georgia that is low in crime, shopping areas, library, resturants, etc nearby, as to where she can walk just to enjoy the scenery if she wants to, and an area where she can make a decent living without having to commute back and forth to Atlanta for work. Somewhere not too far and not too too close to ATL.

My mom is a good driver and all but she wouldn't like to be in the middle of all of the traffic everyday going to work. I wouldn't want that for her. You know how some moms are as they get older, all they see is all the cars surrounding them and that's it

All I know is ATL(just passing through, mostly) and Warner Robins(guess it would be a nice place to live, but don't think there are alot of jobs) I've been searching the internet like crazy but would rather get some good advice from people who know the area, live there or have lived there. I would be very greatful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestdagirl View Post
I currently live in Mississippi, but will be relocating to VA. My mother has come down to visit for a while, but my time left here is fastly approaching. I would like to see her relocate to an area in Georgia that is low in crime, shopping areas, library, resturants, etc nearby, as to where she can walk just to enjoy the scenery if she wants to, and an area where she can make a decent living without having to commute back and forth to Atlanta for work. Somewhere not too far and not too too close to ATL.

My mom is a good driver and all but she wouldn't like to be in the middle of all of the traffic everyday going to work. I wouldn't want that for her. You know how some moms are as they get older, all they see is all the cars surrounding them and that's it

All I know is ATL(just passing through, mostly) and Warner Robins(guess it would be a nice place to live, but don't think there are alot of jobs) I've been searching the internet like crazy but would rather get some good advice from people who know the area, live there or have lived there. I would be very greatful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks
sigh--Georgia is a pretty big state. What does you mother do/employment?

Would she prefer North GA/mountains or Central or South GA?

The smaller towns/cities in Central and South GA are not going to have numerous employment opportunities. North Georgia survives with the help of the tourism industry --also fewer employment opportunities than the metro Atlanta area.

Athens, GA--home of UGA/state university might be the sort of place you want for your mother--I just don't know.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:09 PM

My mother did manufacturing work for over 23 yrs, she was a caregiver, and now she's in housekeeping. Do you know alot about Athens, GA? I take it that the Metro Atlanta area is very very busy when it comes to traffic, uh? On average, would the interstate be avoidable if I found an area for her in the metro area, or is 95% of jobs right in the heart of Atlanta where she would probably have to commute on the freeway. if so I may have to look into Athen, GA. I know I'm asking alot of questions, but please forgive me

Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
My mother did manufacturing work for over 23 yrs, she was a caregiver, and now she's in housekeeping. Do you know alot about Athens, GA? I take it that the Metro Atlanta area is very very busy when it comes to traffic, uh? On average, would the interstate be avoidable if I found an area for her in the metro area, or is 95% of jobs right in the heart of Atlanta where she would probably have to commute on the freeway. if so I may have to look into Athen, GA. I know I'm asking alot of questions, but please forgive me

You can live in Atlanta and not use the interstate. If she is going to travel the entire metro area--yes, it would be practical at times to use the interstate. 'Right in the heart of Atlanta'--no, the jobs would be in the suburbs, I guess. 5/6 counties comprise the metro area--she would probably want to choose an area and not travel from say Cobb County to Snellville, GA. A rigorous commute. Harrowing at times.

~~~~
Athens, GA>>>
Athens, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is NE of Atlanta--college town and someone should be able to give you more FYI on it.

What sort of housekeeping does she do? Private homes or commercial?

I honestly don't know what to suggest. Maybe she would like living near Buford or Suwanee--the Mall of Georgia is nearby and she would only have to deal with a part of the interstate. There is growth in these areas--many very nice subdivisions and surrounding commercial business parks.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Commerciall housekeeping is what she does. Thanks for your response and taking the time out to respond

Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Commerciall housekeeping is what she does. Thanks for your response and taking the time out to respond
I hope things work out for you and your mother.

Did you see this thread just above this one at present on Athens?

Go Here>>>
Info on Athens

hth

Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM

No, I didn't see this thread but I really appreciate the link. Thanks for everything

Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,465 times
Well, it sounds like you need to move to the East Paulding County Area (Dallas, Hiram, Acworth)!

I lived in West Cobb County (Acworth, Kennesaw, Marietta, Powder Springs) my entire life and LOVED it! AWESOME schools, tons of shopping/restaurants, parks, job opportunities...perfect! When I met my now-husband, he was from Winder, GA and he fell in love with West Cobb too, so we both ended up living in Kennesaw when we married. Many people transfer here...no crime, only 20 miles away from Atlanta, there is too much to list here!....BBBBBUUUUUUTTTTT it is very expensive. I mean, you pay for good schools, and convenience, but it is definitely pricy. It would be hard to find ANYTHING around $200K. Nothing is really available for less than $250-$300! Believe me, we looked!

When we found out we were pregnant and needed a new, bigger home- we really didn't want to move far but couldn't afford to live in Cobb anymore So, we did a ton of searching (my mom is a real estate agent) and ended up only about 5 minutes away from my old house in Acworth; just barely crossing the Cobb/Paulding line! You get SO much more for your money here. They are building up like crazy so now is the perfect time to by! You're still right near everything West Cobb has to offer. There are small neighborhoods that range from the $150s-200s right near golf communities up to the $600s! It's great. Awesome schools (and they're about to build even more new ones). The nice subdivision down the street is about to become a stop on the PGA Golf Tour!

You're only about 15 minutes away from Barrett Pkwy and about 40 min. from Buckhead...about 50 from Atlanta. There is so much to do, but if you drive only 10 minutes in the opposite direction of Cobb- there's pastures and old town squares...best of both worlds!!

I cannot stress to you, and anyone else looking to move, how great this area is. We are so incredibly happy here! You couldn't ask for more...without-a-doubt, best value for your money!

Some cities to search: Dallas, Acworth, Hiram
Some subdivisions: Seven Hills, Bentwater, The Park at Cedarcrest, The Gates at Amberhill...

Theres really so much to choose from.

I don't know if this would help, but it did for us. My mom (since she's a real estate agent) can get all the specs of exactly what you want and enter them in and e-mail you photos and home information of ONLY what you're looking for, so you don't end up doing meaningless searching!!

If so, e-mail her and visit her site at {Moderator Cut}: Sorry - can't post realtor's emails or phone numbers in the room. They can privately site mail you if needed.

And if not, i really hope you check out this area!! Good luck wherever you end up!!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-26-2008 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 11,465 times
And you probably don't want to move to Athens...it is where UGA is located and it is a very, very, very big college town!!!! Older, but with young people! Also, its up a highway off of I-85 which means, if you need to get to Atlanta or out of town...you're gonna be in A LOT of traffic!

*My experience: Winder, GA-where my husband is from (see previous post) is on the way to Athens. It's a good place to go party or see the 'Dawgs play but not necessarily to live in...especially coming from out-of-state!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Thank you tlewing, I appreciate this very much. You may have just narrowed down our search. I was almost tired of looking but thanks for the good response. Keep a look out cause I may be contacting your mom. Now you said you the place that you stay at now is about 5 min. away from your old house but it's not in Cobb anymore, what's the name of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia