Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 13,537 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Hinesville within the next 2 months. I would like some info on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 06:27 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
It is home to Ft. Stewart/3rd Infantry. About 40 miles from Savannah. 'Out in the middle of nowhere'--and it is hot--that is what they say in Savannah.

Ft. Stewart>>>
http://www.stewart.army.mil/ima/site...fault.asp#FAQS

Hinesville, GA>>>
http://www.hinesville.com/

Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 20,071 times
We are moving to Hinesvile too, are you in the service?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdaug View Post
We are moving to Hinesville within the next 2 months. I would like some info on the area.
I had to look at your earlier post to see what you needed to know.

If you are looking for things to entertain yourself while you are living in the area, you might want to live closer to Brunswick or Savannah for convenience. Coastal Georgia has a number of interesting places to visit and you will be located near the middle part of the coast. If you are looking to volunteer or become involved, both cities have museums and civic organizations which would welcome you.

Likewise, I imagine that there are organizations which help support military families in Hinesville. Maybe that could be your niche.

Find some books on the history of the area and read up on the barrier islands and culture. That kind of information may help you to make a decision where you'd like to be.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 43,316 times
We currently live in Hinesville and are headed toward Atlanta.

If you're coming here due to military then you're definitely coming to a military town. There isn't much to do here. Everything is pretty much in Savannah which is 45min to 1hr from here.

We do have a Super Walmart and now have Chili's, Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday. There really isn't much else to do here in town.

I've been here for 2 years and am non-military. It will be a ghost town here by the end of the year because they're getting ready to deploy again.

I've been here since Feb '05. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Good Luck

Mary

Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
Ft. Stewart is I think, one of the largest military installations on the east coast. The city of Hinesville is very dependant on the service members who live there. I agree when the soldiers do deploy it becomes somewhat of a ghost town. It can get very hot there and the humidity will have you sweating the minute you walk out of the door. I am not a big fan of snakes which you will find plenty of in this region, also scorpions and an assortment of creepy crawlies! not to mention gators which are in the ponds on and around Ft. Stewart. Keep your dog on a leash!
On the plus side you are near to the coast and some great beaches. There's Tybee Island and another one (name escapes me) which was the stomping ground of the likes of the Vanderbilts. There's good shopping just up the road on Hilton Head. They have a great golf course there too. There is also one on the installation. There is lots to do there, you just have to get out and about and find it.

Good luck with the move

Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 PM

43 posts, read 218,974 times
We had friends move to Hinesville, and they couldn't get out fast enough. They absolutly hated it. They were there for about 1 year.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 15,089 times
Default Moving

I am moving to Hinesville, Georgia Sept 2007, I would love information on elementary school. I see they got 8 which you think is the better of the 8. I heard there is nothing there. I am dont want to go really but that is where my husband will be at Fort Stewart I heard there are no jobs there too. We have one child a 5 yrs old girl. Please any information will help. I am just moving fron down the road Columbus, Georgia. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,774 times
Well i have to agree with many people that yes Hinesville does stink i lived there for about a year before my husband deployed so i decided to move back home....but i will be moving back home in about 2 months when my husband returns from IRAQ so if you have any other questions or just want need a friend feel free to reply.....

Gonzalez

Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 17,357 times
Default Hinesville

Hinesville is basically a "no where" place. The other folks are correct when they say there is nothing to do here. To take in any type of cultural event your have to drive either to Savannah (not really worth the trip) or to Jacksonville. I grew up in the northeast where coastal communities were vibrant and had much to offer. Coastal Georgia is not that great. I hate to be negative but Hinesville, in reality, has very little to offer especially for families. Bars, pawn shops, and churches cover the landscape here.
Taxes are relatively high here. Recently a new "water recovery tax" was implemented even though no one can tell you where the water recovery plant is. This is a very uneducated town-high drop out rate.

On the plus side--well, some of the people are nice. To a small degree, it still has that "southern feel".

As for weather its not bad. The summers are brutally hot and humid. Winter is somewhat mild--we were surprized though at how cold it does get here-at least there is not snow.

Shopping is almost non-existant here except for a few stores here and there. We have no malls, unlike other smaller towns in the area.

If you are looking for southern charm keep looking-you won't find it here.

Now, I will admit, there are some folks who are retired military that really like this place and decided to stay. Why, I don't know but they seem to be happy here. Maybe someday things will improve. However, I doubt it since it has taken almost 5 years to complete a quarter mile long road--oh wait=no they are still working on that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia