U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,191,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I guess I would hope that someone in the moderator position, while free to express their positions, would be more "moderate" in the way they are expressed.
Why is that? Someone's position on a web board (of which it's a non-paid position, mind you) should always have bland, common opinions that you agree with? Sometimes opinions are full of fluff and happiness. Sometimes not. Such is life. We draw the line when anyone (including ourselves) use racial slurs, directly insult another member with names, etc... but "moderators are people too" - and people (as in humans) have an incredibly varied range of emotions when it comes to politics - sometimes it's not always going to make you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My personal worry is that I would be discriminated against and my comments get banned or slammed since I am obviously much more to the right than you.
Re-read your concern. You are much more intelligent than that. You've visited the board for a while - have you EVER seen a moderator delete a comment or post from someone because their opinions differ from their own? If they did no doubt the powers that be would come down like the hammer of Thor, but I'm not aware of any moderator that abuses that power regardless. Now really - please.

Ok, let's end this. Truth be told, this political thread should never have been allowed to go on in the Georgia room to begin with, and should have been moved to the politics room immediately, or deleted since there are already probably 550 Palin speech threads going on right now, anyway.

I personally didn't touch it because I thought it would be fine (this once) to allow folks to debate, vent, gently toss around stuff, etc. But a variety of personal sensitivities never seem to allow threads like this to go on in the regular State rooms, so, that's it. I won't make that mistake again, so keep notes that U.S. politics belong in the politics room from now on unless it's a question that directly involves the STATE of GEORGIA policies and elected officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 PM

55,579 posts, read 74,459,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Greg, my guess is you were just being sarcastic, but I have to wonder if you've fallen prey to the same tactic as the media, which is comment on the nonesense and ignore the substance.
it does in fact seem to be a slick act. its beginning to look very much like GOP is doing a remake of daddy warbucks and lil orphan annie. i would like to see for the sake of the american people us to start really dealing with issues --- principles not personalities.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:41 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,603,624 times
For what it is worth, atlantagreg30127, I have read and reread your post that was 'full' of
Quote:
such cheap shots
and was so
Quote:
sexist
I saw not the first cheap shot nor a single sexist comment. The house comment is true... there on video for all to see. The kid comment, in my opinion, was a humorous opinion... which you are completely entitled to have. For the life of me I cannot comprehend, in these days of information overkill, that ANYONE could be
Quote:
ANGRY
because of what you wrote. There were no outright fallacies in your post... no major spin, just a personal observation laced in humor.
Wow, what kind of people have we become? Conform or be cast out... our Country's forefathers would be completely freaked out, if they were not so busy rolling over in their graves.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,860,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Wow, I was surprised to go back and find that that poster is a Moderator!
So what if he's a moderator? That has nothing to do with it, and moderators aren't limited in their ability to make their opinions known.

If you're a moderator and take a certain position on a topic, I think that's fine. You have as much right to state how you feel and make your case as the rest of us. In response, I also think it's fine that other posters call you out on your position and engage in a discussion of those issues. You have to be able to engage in that discussion.

Where any moderator goes over the line is if they shut down a topic based on other posters disagreeing with their position. That has NOT happened here.

I do think that the moderator team should move these political threads to the politics forum. When they are in the GA forum or sub-forums, it makes it more difficult to truly address the topic without it being too "off topic" for the forum, especially where they have absolutely NO tie to Georgia. Just my opinion.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,311,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So what if he's a moderator? That has nothing to do with it, and moderators aren't limited in their ability to make their opinions known.

If you're a moderator and take a certain position on a topic, I think that's fine. You have as much right to state how you feel and make your case as the rest of us. In response, I also think it's fine that other posters call you out on your position and engage in a discussion of those issues. You have to be able to engage in that discussion.

Where any moderator goes over the line is if they shut down a topic based on other posters disagreeing with their position. That has NOT happened here.

I do think that the moderator team should move these political threads to the politics forum. When they are in the GA forum or sub-forums, it makes it more difficult to truly address the topic without it being too "off topic" for the forum, especially where they have absolutely NO tie to Georgia. Just my opinion.
I'm used to forums where moderators don't go on the attack. And this forum in particular is sometimes overly sensitive about what people can and cannot say. I'm not used to nastiness from a mod.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,191,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I'm used to forums where moderators don't go on the attack. And this forum in particular is sometimes overly sensitive about what people can and cannot say. I'm not used to nastiness from a mod.
That's the nice thing about having dozens of different rooms. They're all different. They're not robotic scripts. Each is different, such as the people who visit them. Gee, kinda like the real world, huh? The real world is a nice place to visit sometimes, too.

The topic is Palin's SPEECH.

If YOU have been attacked, or if YOU have been the victim of nastiness from anyone in these forums, let any moderator know about it. Otherwise, it's time to stick to the topic of the thread, please.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,312,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
John F. Kennedy used speechwriters. Barak Obama uses speechwriters. But if a woman uses a speechwriter, I guess it shows how needy she is. I guess you imagine that a man wrote her speech to prop up the poor little woman.

Of course Obama is very inexperienced as well on issues such as Iraq and the economy, but the fact that he is a big strong man makes up for his shortcomings. And after all, she is a mother…
Emotional response that skips over the point.

Again - McCain said he knows little about the Economy. Plain said she knows little about Iraq and Afgan. THAT'S WHAT CAME OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS. Duh

Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 AM

2,671 posts, read 5,543,846 times
Well said Greg. Wow, I'm glad you did not back down on your opinion and stuck to it. I have a higher regard for you as a Mod and citizen. Stand your ground.

About the speech, I have to say it was one of the vaguest, weakest speeches ever. He made no specifics, no plans on what he plans to do. He used Obama's change idea, and ran with it. He still did a poor job. I'm worried, he may not even make it past the first term of his presidency, and that has me and many worried. I wouldn't wish it on any human being. As for Palin, I would not want her to preside over the city of Atlanta or Miami, let alone this country. (Her state population is 8-9 times smaller than NYC) She mocks someone who does far more grassroots work than she ever did. She's not too clean in my book either. Trying to fire her ex brother in law. She's anti-sex education, no wonder why her daughter got pregnant. She failed to tell her, after you "just say no", what to do...So there you have it, pregnant and a shotgun wedding to save face. (yes , I said it..what!!) Had it been Obama's daughter that got pregnant, we'd never hear the end of it. Let's be real. Anyways, it was a brilllant, but predictable ploy for McCain to get her, as desperate as he was.
He only met her once, does not even know her. As desperate as the move is, it may work in his favor. It won many desperate voters over. Good gimmick. He could have gone Condi Rice..But Palin, please. Whether they win or not, Im not fazed, amazed or anything. They need to come better than that (insulting intelligent people's intelligence). I was expecting and hoping for Mitt Romney as VP, but this is a circus now. I have no sympathy for anyone trying to play Palin as a victim. She wants to play with the big boys, she's got to be able to give and take the jabs just like the best of them. No double standards. Playing with scare tactics, mocking the opposing candidate cause they have nothing of substance to say, no real plans, and of course the scare tactics. I'm not the least bit fazed.
Now, I wish Hillary was VP, just to go head to head with the (wanna be) "Pit Bull, hockey mom" , and give her what she should have had coming. That's right, I said it....(call me sexist all you want, you know I'm not, you're mad Im giving my opinion of the "so called underdog, whatever )..Ask me what a feminist is (No different than the so-called sexist men they dare criticize)
Anyways, she admitted she did not know what a VP did, so that right there, had me thinking, she doesn't even deserve to be Governor. But since the pop of Alaska is less than 1 million (approx 700k people) and an oil rich state, I guess it's acceptable for some. ...Hillary is ten times more woman that Sarah will ever be. She pales in comparison to Hillary, no pun intended. ..What rant that was, if that was one, to some...(Plus I cant stand her voice)..Bring on the noise, people.....(I may have messed up your Sunday morning).

Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 AM

7,303 posts, read 10,036,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Re-read your concern. You are much more intelligent than that. You've visited the board for a while - have you EVER seen a moderator delete a comment or post from someone because their opinions differ from their own? If they did no doubt the powers that be would come down like the hammer of Thor, but I'm not aware of any moderator that abuses that power regardless. Now really - please.
Ok, let's end this. Truth be told, this political thread should never have been allowed to go on in the Georgia room to begin with, and should have been moved to the politics room immediately, or deleted since there are already probably 550 Palin speech threads going on right now, anyway..
I did say that not once had you or any other moderator said anything close to that, just thought the wording could be more moderate.. get it? moderator, moderate......

Have never belonged or participated in a community like this before and have not once visited the political page. I have for the most part commented on Georgia happenings as I am terribly homesick for my homestate. Happened on the thread by chance. Guess thats why the old saying goes about religion and politics. I'll get a thicker skin and lighten up.

ATLGreg, I appreciate all you do, don't know how you keep up with all this, I am supposing as a GT grad you probably have a demanding profession to tend to on top of this. Again, thanks for the clarification and the reiteration of the guidelines and such, much appreciated.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:50 AM

100 posts, read 171,305 times
AtlGreg good comments,these people are so emotional over things they have no idea about.

If you guys feel McCain and Palin are the best for office then go cast your vote on election day but do not get mad when a couple years from now the gas is so high you run out of it in front of GreenBriar mall and start sweating wondering where it all went wrong.

Me personally I will never support these two candidates for plenty of reasons but I'm pretty sure I will be attacked for not riding the 40 year old grandma bandwagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia