U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM

4,150 posts, read 5,997,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Rrriiiiigggghhhhttt. So if an area has people from other states then that makes it diverse?
Exactly ROFL. Diverse meaning different regions.....duh .
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 PM

239 posts, read 783,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Exactly ROFL. Diverse meaning different regions.....duh .
No. diversity means different cultures.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM

913 posts, read 2,672,061 times
Quote:
No. diversity means different cultures.
Which is found in different regions of the country.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 AM

63 posts, read 249,481 times
Obviously people are going back and forth on this one, but I can't stand Columbus, and I can't wait to move.
A lot of things on our wish list are diversity, culture, lots of family things to do, etc and in my opinion, they aren't here. I REALLY don't want to raise my children here. Just like any place there is bad and good, but way more bad than good for what we're looking for. I think that is what it comes down to...what you are looking for and how much you're willing to settle.
I hate driving at least 2 hours to see good live music, go to a theme park/zoo, etc...and then 5-6 hours to a beach or a city with character.
If you're happy not really doing much, just having a school/work/church routine then Columbus would be great. If you're looking for more than that and a city with personality then Columbus is not a good option.
I have to laugh when people say Columbus is diverse (sorry!) but I guess I've just been spoiled by San Francisco, New Orleans, etc. I think a big problem is the definition of diverse varies from person to person. To me it means people of other cultures, colors, political persuasions, sexuality, countries, etc, not just someone who moved here from North Dakota. I totally agree that Columbus is way more "large town" than urban city.
I'm going downtown this very afternoon...if things have miraculously changed I will certainly come on here and eat my words.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 AM

98 posts, read 203,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Obviously people are going back and forth on this one, but I can't stand Columbus, and I can't wait to move.
A lot of things on our wish list are diversity, culture, lots of family things to do, etc and in my opinion, they aren't here. I REALLY don't want to raise my children here. Just like any place there is bad and good, but way more bad than good for what we're looking for. I think that is what it comes down to...what you are looking for and how much you're willing to settle.
I hate driving at least 2 hours to see good live music, go to a theme park/zoo, etc...and then 5-6 hours to a beach or a city with character.
If you're happy not really doing much, just having a school/work/church routine then Columbus would be great. If you're looking for more than that and a city with personality then Columbus is not a good option.
I have to laugh when people say Columbus is diverse (sorry!) but I guess I've just been spoiled by San Francisco, New Orleans, etc. I think a big problem is the definition of diverse varies from person to person. To me it means people of other cultures, colors, political persuasions, sexuality, countries, etc, not just someone who moved here from North Dakota. I totally agree that Columbus is way more "large town" than urban city.
I'm going downtown this very afternoon...if things have miraculously changed I will certainly come on here and eat my words.
Rofl....good post.
Obviously there are a lot of people who agree with you!
Your post about the parks,entertainment etc are spot on too.
Columbus will always be a slow sleepy town with very little culture/character no matter what they build and quite a lot of hotheads and arrogance.

Last edited by Sam552311; 05-31-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM

19 posts, read 45,302 times
Quote:
I have to admire your blind loyalty to Columbus, but I disagree on downtown Columbus being "very urban due to the many lofts" Downtown is mostly made up of quaint, charming and beautiful historic homes. I'm not sure that anyone would consider 3 loft developments "many". There are two loft developments currently being built according to Uptown Columbus (http://www.uptowncolumbusga.com/economicdevelopment/loftLiving.cfm - broken link). And then there are the Johnston Mill Lofts a little further down the road. I took a tour of Columbus shortly after I arrived here and the guide-who is a native of Columbus- stressed how the city leaders are committed to ensuring that downtown retains it historic look and feel. Historic and urban typically do not co-exist together.
3 Loft developments? How old is this post? I wish people would stop using City-data forums as a punching bag for Columbus. It's always the same old anticipated negative comments. In most cases insults. Everyone hypes their own cities, and complains about Columbus. Many of those compaints are from people who haven't been here in 10, 20, or even 30 years. So any ill reports or comments are out-of-date, and inaccurate. I'd invite those people to stroll around and spend a cozy day of shopping, dining and recreational activities here in Downtown (Uptown is the positive spin name they gave it). It's not spectacular like Atlanta or New York. LOL. But it has a nice comfortable feel to it. And there is a buzz of excitement here too. College kids are all over... as well as artsy galleries & shops, coffee shops, theatres, Live music night clubs which have spawned several big recording artists...etc. It's like a miniature version of Austin's live music environment. The University's Art's campus is intermixed with the commercial downtown businesses. So you have kids and artists outdoors throughout Downtown (Uptown) in the many nooks, plazas, sidewalks, and courtyards playing or discussing their art. The 3 performing arts of Music, Drama, and Dance are very prevalent. Plus, the visual arts. This area is the school's Arts campus, so many outdoor art displays are visible on every corner. My friends and I enjoy going from loft to loft, cafe to cafe, store to store...etc. near our offices and near schools. I love that the new giant state-of-the-art YMCA is a short walk away. (I've been a member for years when it wasn't so nice, now it can't be compared to anything in the region.) I love the 14 mile riverwalk being RIGHT THERE, and I also love the new rails-to-trails 12 mile + bicycle trail starting from downtown and going way out into east columbus miles away.
I love the new skateboard park and I'm excited about the new giant public indoor ice skating center. We're barely halfway through with our downtown's 25 year Master Plan which is direct and specific. So far, it's going according to plans. Even in this bad economy. More big projects are expected very soon. When they breach the dam on the river, the retail spaces at the ground levels of the mill lofts will be turned into more awesome additions to downtown. Whitewater outfitters and restaurants for example. More CSU campus projects are expected. More housing has and is going up, and more lofts have been finished outr and more on on the way. Lot's of new Dormitories have been completed in the last year or so that didn't even exist! Gone are the old pool halls and strip bars people still like to make fun of Downtown with. Visitors have vivid memories of how dangerous and dirty and nasty downtown was. Now young students and families stroll around safely. no different feeling than going to a suburban mall. and just like the malls, the security downtown is mostly privately funded by corporate entities. They have BID security and clean up crews. Plus, everything is landscaped beautifully, well lit, and tastefully decorated. The sidewalks are new, very wide, very beautifully designed and look like long plazas. When celebrities come here like Jerry Seinfeld or Bill Cosby to perform at one of the Theater venues, they've been quoted as saying in so many words that they were surprized and didn't know all this was here. They were prepared to make fun of Columbus, but changed their minds. Seinfeld reminded us that he's a comedian, and he was prepared to come here to make fun of Columbus, but after walking around town, all he could say was how charming and relaxing it was, and how much he enjoyed the activities as change of pace. The only weird thing that struck him was: Why do we put railroad tracks at ground level that roll around along with cars, instead of putting them underground like they do in New York? LOL! Oh well. There's fault in every town. Even the ones everyone praises on City-data. But I'm getting kinda tired of seeing nothing but negative slams on Columbus. Especially since they are inaccurate.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 AM

19 posts, read 45,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobshopper View Post
3 Loft developments? How old is this post? I wish people would stop using City-data forums as a punching bag for Columbus. It's always the same old anticipated negative comments. In most cases insults. Everyone hypes their own cities, and complains about Columbus. Many of those compaints are from people who haven't been here in 10, 20, or even 30 years. So any ill reports or comments are out-of-date, and inaccurate. I'd invite those people to stroll around and spend a cozy day of shopping, dining and recreational activities here in Downtown (Uptown is the positive spin name they gave it). It's not spectacular like Atlanta or New York. LOL. But it has a nice comfortable feel to it. And there is a buzz of excitement here too. College kids are all over... as well as artsy galleries & shops, coffee shops, theatres, Live music night clubs which have spawned several big recording artists...etc. It's like a miniature version of Austin's live music environment. The University's Art's campus is intermixed with the commercial downtown businesses. So you have kids and artists outdoors throughout Downtown (Uptown) in the many nooks, plazas, sidewalks, and courtyards playing or discussing their art. The 3 performing arts of Music, Drama, and Dance are very prevalent. Plus, the visual arts. This area is the school's Arts campus, so many outdoor art displays are visible on every corner. My friends and I enjoy going from loft to loft, cafe to cafe, store to store...etc. near our offices and near schools. I love that the new giant state-of-the-art YMCA is a short walk away. (I've been a member for years when it wasn't so nice, now it can't be compared to anything in the region.) I love the 14 mile riverwalk being RIGHT THERE, and I also love the new rails-to-trails 12 mile + bicycle trail starting from downtown and going way out into east columbus miles away.
I love the new skateboard park and I'm excited about the new giant public indoor ice skating center. We're barely halfway through with our downtown's 25 year Master Plan which is direct and specific. So far, it's going according to plans. Even in this bad economy. More big projects are expected very soon. When they breach the dam on the river, the retail spaces at the ground levels of the mill lofts will be turned into more awesome additions to downtown. Whitewater outfitters and restaurants for example. More CSU campus projects are expected. More housing has and is going up, and more lofts have been finished outr and more on on the way. Lot's of new Dormitories have been completed in the last year or so that didn't even exist! Gone are the old pool halls and strip bars people still like to make fun of Downtown with. Visitors have vivid memories of how dangerous and dirty and nasty downtown was. Now young students and families stroll around safely. no different feeling than going to a suburban mall. and just like the malls, the security downtown is mostly privately funded by corporate entities. They have BID security and clean up crews. Plus, everything is landscaped beautifully, well lit, and tastefully decorated. The sidewalks are new, very wide, very beautifully designed and look like long plazas. When celebrities come here like Jerry Seinfeld or Bill Cosby to perform at one of the Theater venues, they've been quoted as saying in so many words that they were surprized and didn't know all this was here. They were prepared to make fun of Columbus, but changed their minds. Seinfeld reminded us that he's a comedian, and he was prepared to come here to make fun of Columbus, but after walking around town, all he could say was how charming and relaxing it was, and how much he enjoyed the activities as change of pace. The only weird thing that struck him was: Why do we put railroad tracks at ground level that roll around along with cars, instead of putting them underground like they do in New York? LOL! Oh well. There's fault in every town. Even the ones everyone praises on City-data. But I'm getting kinda tired of seeing nothing but negative slams on Columbus. Especially since they are inaccurate.
(Oh, and BID isn't the only security. Downtown has a permanment University Police Precinct, and they are very visible. Plus, the regular Police patrol takes care of the recreation areas. Gone are the days when low life's were the only ones prowling the streets. If they attempted that now, they'd be in big trouble.)

Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 AM

4,150 posts, read 5,997,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobshopper View Post
Best and most accurate post on Columbus ever! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia