U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM

61 posts, read 325,731 times

Advertisements

If it was me, I would rather drive to Columbus, Macon, Atlanta, or Florida on the weekends for shopping and entertainment and avoid such a long commute during the middle of the week. Especially if you factor in the high cost of gas nowadays.

I am from Warner Robins, which is fifteen miles south of Macon. It would take me at least one and a half hours to drive to Americus. I think you are underestimating the time it will take for your commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 31,297 times
Thanks for adding those specifics! I guess I should add more of my own: I'm in my mid-20s and the future husband is in his early 30s, so we want "younger" entertainment. We also have no children and want no children, and in fact, most "family" oriented things turn us off.

Much appreciated. Keep it comin'.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 31,297 times
Oh yeah, good point. Am I even being rational thinking I'll drive from somewhere either around Columbus or Macon to Americus daily? I have yet to make the trip and time it...

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,976,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
OK, you asked...

Why we hate Columbus...

1. Most of the people here are...to put it as nicely as I can..."simple".

2. It is a cliquish community. They don't take well to outsiders, especially if you aren't Southern. I'm not saying they're rude or impolite but it takes a long time for them to warm up to you. Some of them never do.

3. We're a young couple in our mid thirties. Other than movies and shopping, there is nothing interesting to do here. If you don't believe me, take a look at the Columbus Chamber of Commerce's events calendar. Most of the events on the calendar cater to families with small children and retirees. The social prospects here for anyone not in those categories are just dismal. Honestly, the highlight of my September is the Junior League Attic sale and playing Bunco with my co-workers later this month. Yes, there are events at the River Center but they clearly are geared toward older Columbus residents and fans of Country music.

4. Columbus has 1 vegetarian restaurant, 1 Thai restaurant, 1 Caribbean restaurant, maybe 2 or 3 Indian restaurants. The rest are standard chain restaurants, Mom & Pop type restaurants, Mexican and Chinese. Not much dining variety. Oh, and if you decide to eat out on a Sunday, your only choices are fast food and chain restaurants because everything else is closed.

5. For a city that has so little going for it, it is terribly overpriced. As an example, we moved here from metro Atlanta. Our house up there was a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, on a full finished basement...over 4,000 combined square feet... on 1.5 acres. We paid $166,000 for it. One of my coworkers here in Columbus is selling a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1600 sf home in North Columbus for 169,900. We drive up to Atlanta every weekend. Gas prices are typically lower up there than they are in Columbus.

6. I'm an artsy kind of gal myself. Columbus has no major art museum. If you want real art, you'll have to drive to the High Museum in Atlanta.

7. The city is just plain ugly. It looks run down and not well cared for.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

If I ran across those people that you mentioned I suppose I would hate it here also. Thanks for being honest.

I know of 2 Thai restaurants, 2 Caribbean, German, English, a slew of Soul Food and Southern Cooking if you like those types of things. Most of the good tasting ethnic foods are going to be in Midtown and on the South side. The North Side is mostly chains. If you have only gone as far south in Columbus as Macon Road, then you are missing a great deal of culture. By the way, don't pay any attention to that Chamber of Commerce calendar, instead check out the Springer, the River Center and Columbus State. There should be plenty of entertainment at those venues. I must admit most of the music at the River Center would be mostly classical and a little jazz every now and then, which makes sense to me. By the way, are you guys vegetarians? Any way, I hope things get better for you.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM

913 posts, read 2,670,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
OK, you asked...

Why we hate Columbus...

1. Most of the people here are...to put it as nicely as I can..."simple".

2. It is a cliquish community. They don't take well to outsiders, especially if you aren't Southern. I'm not saying they're rude or impolite but it takes a long time for them to warm up to you. Some of them never do.

3. We're a young couple in our mid thirties. Other than movies and shopping, there is nothing interesting to do here. If you don't believe me, take a look at the Columbus Chamber of Commerce's events calendar. Most of the events on the calendar cater to families with small children and retirees. The social prospects here for anyone not in those categories are just dismal. Honestly, the highlight of my September is the Junior League Attic sale and playing Bunco with my co-workers later this month. Yes, there are events at the River Center but they clearly are geared toward older Columbus residents and fans of Country music.

4. Columbus has 1 vegetarian restaurant, 1 Thai restaurant, 1 Caribbean restaurant, maybe 2 or 3 Indian restaurants. The rest are standard chain restaurants, Mom & Pop type restaurants, Mexican and Chinese. Not much dining variety. Oh, and if you decide to eat out on a Sunday, your only choices are fast food and chain restaurants because everything else is closed.

5. For a city that has so little going for it, it is terribly overpriced. As an example, we moved here from metro Atlanta. Our house up there was a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, on a full finished basement...over 4,000 combined square feet... on 1.5 acres. We paid $166,000 for it. One of my coworkers here in Columbus is selling a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1600 sf home in North Columbus for 169,900. We drive up to Atlanta every weekend. Gas prices are typically lower up there than they are in Columbus.

6. I'm an artsy kind of gal myself. Columbus has no major art museum. If you want real art, you'll have to drive to the High Museum in Atlanta.

7. The city is just plain ugly. It looks run down and not well cared for.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.
Wow...you are wrong on every statement you just made. You must not get out very much.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:49 AM

4,461 posts, read 7,253,935 times
Bash bash bash bash bash... thats all the people of Macon and Columbus do to each other. Honestly, if you want an unbiased opinion of these two cities, don't ask a local of either city!!!
There are things to do in Columbus AND Macon. There is culture in both cities! Columbus has a beautiful downtown with a great river walk IMO. It is still a small city, but it is growing. Macon has great interstate access and I know of the Macon Museum of Arts and Sciences. Macon also has a beautiful downtown.
IMO, if I had to choose, I would go with Macon due to better access transportation-wise and more centrally located throughout the state.
To be perfectly honest though, I don't think it'd be worth it to travel back and fourth from either one of these cities on a daily basis. Much too far of a commute.
Besides, the closest town with a larger population than Americus would be Albany.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM

239 posts, read 782,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Wow...you are wrong on every statement you just made. You must not get out very much.
It's all about perceptions. Clearly your perception of Columbus is different from mine. It has nothing to do with whether I get out much. I've read some of your posts and you have yet to say anything that will change my mind about this god forsaken place.

Last edited by saharaga; 09-14-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 PM

239 posts, read 782,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Thanks for being honest.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I know of 2 Thai restaurants, 2 Caribbean, German, English, a slew of Soul Food and Southern Cooking if you like those types of things.
Yes, there are two Thai restaurants. My bad. I am from the Caribbean and do not consider Spices restaurant worthy of being called Caribbean food. Rose's is 100 times better. I've also been to Germany and I just don't think the 2 German establishments here duplicate the food I had in Germany very well.

Quote:
By the way, are you guys vegetarians? Any way, I hope things get better for you.
Not strictly but I do eat vegetarian meals. My husband is from Tennessee so if it's not battered and deep fried, he's not interested. Things are just fine for us. We're both gainfully employed and happy with each other and our lives. Being in Columbus is a temporary situation that we intend to change. We're just waiting for the right time.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,599,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Bash bash bash bash bash... thats all the people of Macon and Columbus do to each other. Honestly, if you want an unbiased opinion of these two cities, don't ask a local of either city!!!
As a resident of neither city, I do not feel I am bashing when I offer my opinion. I travel to both from time to time and I would pick Columbus over Macon every time. I have seen a video of a fight in a mall in Macon and I have just read where they had twelve shootings in twelve days there. There is no need to bash when safety facts are on your side. You are right, there are some neat stuff to see and do in both places... but I am not going to send anyone to Macon over Columbus. I could not sleep at night after doing so. Dodging gunfire is not culture... in my opinion anyways.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM

726 posts, read 2,550,809 times
In the most honest Opinion, i would visit each city for your self, because there is no way you can get an honest outlook from these posts; because you have people who do like Macon and always making it seem like a Horror ville, people bash Columbus on how slow and country is seems...... the only way you can decide is to visit and research them for your self. I'm sure you will find a lot of these negative comments are nothing like what they are made to be..Because half of these people who are giving you input don't even live in or near these cities but go on hear say and/or news media...... Coming from a city with a 1mill +pop, and hearing about a few crimes I'm sure is nothing new....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia