U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,263,665 times
Reputation: 2929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
But when people say things that simply aren't true.....I like to show them how they are wrong. Your opinion is...of course...you opinion, but making false statements about something is ridiculous.
Tell me what i said was untrue about Columbus?You proved my point by showing the picture of the "tallest building in Georgia outside Atlanta".It sticks out like a sore thumb.No a tall building does not make it urban.Take for instance Savannah.There is reason to say that Savannah is more urban feeling than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM
 
29 posts, read 79,830 times
Reputation: 23
Default Really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Limaro,

How about you go back and read the original post. If you are going to add your two cents then perhaps you should try and make it count. The author of this post asked about two cities, not one.
What kind of person chooses a place where they expect to find a "crime infested hell hole"? That, in my opinion, sums up your judgement right off the bat. You expected a crime infested hell hole but came anyways.
The word 'bashing' has came up in this thread several times. Webster says 'bashing' is
"To engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism."
Find that in this thread ANYWHERE. Seriously. If a newly transplanted person asks for others opinions on here, and they simply offer them... there is no bashing present. I have absolutely nothing to gain by presenting my opinion. I knew how yerocal and brenty were going to respond. yerocal thinks Macon is the center of the universe and brenty just loves the Macon malls. There it is, in a nut shell.
The original poster is coming from a proggresive city much larger than anything here in central Georgia. I am not 'bashing' one city over the next because I post actual crime information. Or offer my opinion between the two cities she asked about. We do not all have to agree, but lets be honest and follow the thread as it was authored. It seems some on here are quick to defend their town without answering the original question.
You came on this board, asked questions and got one extreme response or another, and chose a place you expected to be a crime infested hell hole... and yet here you are. The voice of reason I guess.

WOW, I really don't know what to say. Obviously a person can't post a completely UNTHREATENING message on here without causing an ignorant and unwarranted attack. I do realize that this post was a call for opinions of both cities, I obviously had no comments about your precious Columbus, because I have never been there. I am sure it is a fantastic city with a lot to offer. My intent was to provide another transplant with a fellow newbie perspective, so how about you but out and stop trying to make this the bulldawgfan show...some of us really are just trying to help out. You should really look into some anger management therapy, I think you have a seriously problem.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,218 times
Reputation: 10
Default Warner Robins

I moved to Warner Robins, GA from Fort Lauderdale about seven years ago. My mom is from Americus, so I am very familiar with that area. Also, I went to college in Peach County (the same county as Byron). Warner Robins is a nice town in Houston County. Most parts of the city are new and there are quite a few attractive suberbs (Centerville, Kathleen, Bonaire). There is a large Air Force base here, which brings many different cultures and activities. Macon is 30 minutes north, Byron is about 15 minutes northwest and your drive to Americus would be about 45 minutes south.

Someone posted a reply about the violence in Macon. That is true, the city has recently had a curfew due to violent shootings. Since that post, more shootings have happened between then and this past weekend. I go to Macon often, but I would not live there. Macon has a bad problem with gangs, too. Ten years ago while I was in college near Macon, there was a gang problem and it has gotten worse. If you do choose to live in Macon, I would recommend North Macon (near the Zebulon Road area). That is where the newer homes and shops are. It is also a good distance from the more violent areas of Macon.

Byron is mostly rural, but there have been new home developments in recent years. If you are just looking for a nice area to live in, Byron has some nice new homes. However, if you would like to have convenient entertainment, Byron doesn't have a mall, movie theater or other modern conveniences.

I can't remember if your post mentioned whether or not you have children. If so, that plays a factor with which area is a better choice. I taught in Warner Robins (Houston County) for seven years. The school system here is the best in the Middle Georgia area as far as being more up to date with curriculum, materials and technology. Peach County (Byron), is a very small rural system with only a few schools. I am not too familiar with the school system in Bibb County (Macon), but I do know that I have worked with many teachers who have left that school system and came to ours when they could find a position available.

This reply came out longer than I anticipated, but since I am very familiar with the areas you are looking to move to and the city you will be working in, I wanted to offer as much information as possible. I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,263,665 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by KammiSmith View Post
I moved to Warner Robins, GA from Fort Lauderdale about seven years ago. My mom is from Americus, so I am very familiar with that area. Also, I went to college in Peach County (the same county as Byron). Warner Robins is a nice town in Houston County. Most parts of the city are new and there are quite a few attractive suberbs (Centerville, Kathleen, Bonaire). There is a large Air Force base here, which brings many different cultures and activities. Macon is 30 minutes north, Byron is about 15 minutes northwest and your drive to Americus would be about 45 minutes south.

Someone posted a reply about the violence in Macon. That is true, the city has recently had a curfew due to violent shootings. Since that post, more shootings have happened between then and this past weekend. I go to Macon often, but I would not live there. Macon has a bad problem with gangs, too. Ten years ago while I was in college near Macon, there was a gang problem and it has gotten worse. If you do choose to live in Macon, I would recommend North Macon (near the Zebulon Road area). That is where the newer homes and shops are. It is also a good distance from the more violent areas of Macon.

Byron is mostly rural, but there have been new home developments in recent years. If you are just looking for a nice area to live in, Byron has some nice new homes. However, if you would like to have convenient entertainment, Byron doesn't have a mall, movie theater or other modern conveniences.

I can't remember if your post mentioned whether or not you have children. If so, that plays a factor with which area is a better choice. I taught in Warner Robins (Houston County) for seven years. The school system here is the best in the Middle Georgia area as far as being more up to date with curriculum, materials and technology. Peach County (Byron), is a very small rural system with only a few schools. I am not too familiar with the school system in Bibb County (Macon), but I do know that I have worked with many teachers who have left that school system and came to ours when they could find a position available.

This reply came out longer than I anticipated, but since I am very familiar with the areas you are looking to move to and the city you will be working in, I wanted to offer as much information as possible. I hope this helps!
Did you go to FVSU?I did!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,908 posts, read 4,023,315 times
Reputation: 1767
kammismith is just yet another person that gives half answers and incorrect "facts." Macon did not have a curfew for shootings. Some people SUGGESTED one for EVERYBODY under 25, but why should everybody under 25 suffer for what some people do, it wont go through. I think most people really dont know Macon as well as they claim and they think Mercer Univ Dr, Eisenhower Pkwy and the areas surrounding downtown are the only parts of Macon city limits. I stay within the city limits and my area is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 03:28 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,320 times
Reputation: 10
Hallo, americans. I know american English like Russian or Ukrainian. Now I am going to search a cool forum.
Sergik.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 03:33 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,320 times
Reputation: 10
Default No trouble.

Now I am looking for a cool friends from America, from USA. No demands for a profit. Only conversation.
I invite you to my favorite forum
forum.gala.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Here and there
1,810 posts, read 3,603,856 times
Reputation: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limaro View Post
WOW, I really don't know what to say.
And yet, you continued on. The original poster asked about a comparison of two cities, you jumped in with an opinion of one. Not only do you not follow the thread, but you continue when you state you do not know what to say. Brilliant.

Quote:
Obviously a person can't post a completely UNTHREATENING message on here without causing an ignorant and unwarranted attack.
Do you realize, by your own definition, that this, in itself, is an attack? No, I guess you do not. By the way, if you think that was an attack you have thin skin. Keep posting with your obvious brilliance and you will be attacked. Trust me.

Quote:
I do realize that this post was a call for opinions of both cities, I obviously had no comments about your precious Columbus, because I have never been there. I am sure it is a fantastic city with a lot to offer.
I hate to break this to you, Brainchild, but I live about 40 miles from Macon. I live about two and a half hours from Columbus. Columbus is not "my precious". You see, the difference between you and me is when I see a post asking about two cities, and I know nothing about one of them... I keep my mouth shut. If you cannot see how you jumped in, unwarranted, then there is really no hope for you.

Quote:
My intent was to provide another transplant with a fellow newbie perspective, so how about you but out and stop trying to make this the bulldawgfan show...some of us really are just trying to help out.
And yet, despite your intent, you could not follow the thread as authored. Following the thread, which, to remind you once more, was a question comparing two cities... how did you 'help out'? You admit you know nothing of Columbus. How did you help the author make her choice? By commenting on the only city you know anything about? Brilliant.

Quote:
You should really look into some anger management therapy, I think you have a seriously problem.....
I have a "seriously problem"? I get it now... you attended the same school yerocal attended. She, like you, has a difficult time with the English language. I have worked on her to the point where she is atleast somewhat credible. However... you... I think there is no hope for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 AM
 
209 posts, read 588,230 times
Reputation: 48
Just what we needed....another AtlCol1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 09:40 AM
 
913 posts, read 2,672,919 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Just what we needed....another AtlCol1
Columbus is suffering just like any other city. At least there are 40,000+ people moving here that will stimulate the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top