Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,510 times

Advertisements

Thinking about making a move to Milledgeville or Gray. Does anybody have any info or thoughts about either of these places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times
It's a middle sized town and my older brother is rehabilitated there and has been since 1989. So I visit the place at least twice a year at least. It's about a hundred miles from me. Gray, small town, not impressive. Milledgeville looks like it has an active college social scene. There's a shop there called "The Grapevine" which is fun to go to. They sell antiques.The town I would overall deem as safe. Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
It's a middle sized town and my older brother is rehabilitated there and has been since 1989. So I visit the place at least twice a year at least. It's about a hundred miles from me. Gray, small town, not impressive. Milledgeville looks like it has an active college social scene. There's a shop there called "The Grapevine" which is fun to go to. They sell antiques.The town I would overall deem as safe. Hope this helps.
What does this mean: "my brother is rehabilitated there"? Is he in prison or in a drug rehab or relocated?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 PM

178 posts, read 499,215 times
For its size Milledgeville is pretty impressive, it was once the capital of Georgia an the architecture is very nice. It has pretty nice sized college there so there is bit of a college crowd. It's very close to "Lake Country" Georgia. Its nice overall.

Gray is just your average small town in every sense of it. I guess one plus for Gray is being closer to Macon, and thats only a plus if you find being closer to a true urban city as being a good thing.

Besides that Milledgeville has Gray beat hands down.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,370 times
I relocated to Milledgeville in June to teach at Georgia College & State University. M'ville is a nice little town. The student population keeps the town vibrant, especially the downtown district. The college offers many cultural events which are open to the public, e.g., concerts, plays, art exhibits, etc.

RE: "Rehabilitaton": M'ville is home to a couple of state penal institutions (adult and youth) and a state mental health facility. Also home to Georgia Military College. Thus, many area residents are employed by the state.

For "big city" people who relocate here, limited shopping tends to be the biggest complaint. We have a Lowe's, Kmart, Office Max, and a Super WalMart, a very small J C Penny in a very small shopping mall. Many residents drive to Macon (30 miles) if they want to do "serious" shopping.

I moved here from Memphis, TN and love it! But I like small town life. It's relatively safe, clean, quiet, and friendly. Like any community, it has its problems and drawbacks, but it's about as close to "Mayberry" as you'll get in this day and age.

BTW, The Grapevine closed after it was damaged by a severe storm back in May. However, there are still a couple of nice antique shops, art galleries, and several casual dining restaurants downtown. But some of the eateries are student "hangouts."

Can't comment on Gray. Never been there.

Last edited by mtv8341; 09-19-2008 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 29,880 times
Thanks for the great information on the area, mtv8341. My husband and I are planning to move to Milledgeville after the holidays, and we were wondering how safe the city was, because of the penal institutions located there. Is there a lot of crime there, such as robbery, burglary, rape? Please let me know. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 PM
phy

34 posts, read 150,634 times
Default Loved the town of Milledgeville, Ga.

Hi,
Hope I can help because I've had to relocate several times due to job reasons.
My husband & I lived in Milledgeville, Ga. for app. 2 years, built a beautiful house after 6 months and hoped to retire there. I loved the small town, it had all the necessities, small shopping mall, good restaurants, only 2 grocery stores-Walmart or a nice Krogers, but my favorite of all was the lake.
We have a boat, and this was the first place I have been to that had small islands you could park at, picnick, and just lay around and relax-- especially with the gas prices.
Our neighborhood was great with a community lake(I would call it a big pond, had great bass fishing there) and the neighborhood had beautiful trees especially when the dogwood and redbuds were in bloom--Nice people-Safe neighborhood.
I occassionally went to Macon but very seldom--Shopping areas were too spread out for me.
If you move there, hope you love it like I did.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 29,880 times
Thumbs up Thank you PHY, for the great Info.

Hey, Thank you PHY, for responding to my post. I am so happy to hear that you loved living in Milledgeville. I certainly hope that me and my husband enjoy it as much as you did. We are very tired of living in Atlanta, with such horrible traffic, and congestion. I certainly hope that you are also happy where you are presently living.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
phy

34 posts, read 150,634 times
Unhappy Move to Milledgeville, Ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCreole View Post
Hey, Thank you PHY, for responding to my post. I am so happy to hear that you loved living in Milledgeville. I certainly hope that me and my husband enjoy it as much as you did. We are very tired of living in Atlanta, with such horrible traffic, and congestion. I certainly hope that you are also happy where you are presently living.
Thanks MsCreole but Tallahassee is nothing compared to Milledgeville in my opinion.
It is as Southern as Georgia-Long drive to beach, no big Lakes like Milledgeville, old houses, and only large Oak Trees--Few Palmetto trees like you would think of Florida. The cost of living is extremely high compared to Milledgeville.
Hope you have checked out Milledgeville and the surrounding Subdivisions.
Good Luck

Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,790 times
My family is going to relocate to GA. We are teachers and are looking for safe schools and communties. Is Milledgeville safe? How far of a commute is Nortwest Macon? Are there decent houses to rent until we are ready to buy? Any chances of a small farm that our horse and collie can play? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia