U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,287 times
Default Tornados

where do tornados hit in georgia??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 PM

9,112 posts, read 20,397,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boc23 View Post
Here is an online image of the state of Georgia that shows the number of tornadoes that have been reported in each County, from 1050 to 2007:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/images/tornado.gif (broken link)

These numbers would not include the F2 that hit downtown Atlanta this past Spring and those that hit the surrounding area on that day and not long after.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM

12,450 posts, read 17,916,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Here is an online image of the state of Georgia that shows the number of tornadoes that have been reported in each County, from 1050 to 2007:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/images/tornado.gif (broken link)

These numbers would not include the F2 that hit downtown Atlanta this past Spring and those that hit the surrounding area on that day and not long after.
God has it in for you, Cobb County...

Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boc23 View Post
Mostly trailer parks from what I've seen... what is it about that?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
God has it in for you, Cobb County...
Well, it's important to note that the numbers per county are based on CONFIRMED tornado touchdowns, such as those citizens call in to report seeing, storm chasers see, or damage that is found and confirmed later. Since Cobb County is one of the more populated counties in Georgia, you're going to have higher numbers because there are so many more people to spot and report one, and more densely packed areas where damage can be recorded. But yes, Cobb does fall into Georgia's "tornado alley" to some degree.

In the very rural counties, many more tornadoes may actually touch down than the chart shows, but because they're so sparsely populated, no one sees them to report it, and there's no recordable damage.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM

603 posts, read 1,153,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, it's important to note that the numbers per county are based on CONFIRMED tornado touchdowns, such as those citizens call in to report seeing, storm chasers see, or damage that is found and confirmed later. Since Cobb County is one of the more populated counties in Georgia, you're going to have higher numbers because there are so many more people to spot and report one, and more densely packed areas where damage can be recorded. But yes, Cobb does fall into Georgia's "tornado alley" to some degree.

In the very rural counties, many more tornadoes may actually touch down than the chart shows, but because they're so sparsely populated, no one sees them to report it, and there's no recordable damage.
I'm not so sure. Look at Gwinnett, that chart shows only 10 tornadoes in Gwinnett from 1950-2007 and Gwinnett has a very large population, whereas counties like Carroll and Haralson which are much less populated have had more tornadoes reported from 1950-2007.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I'm not so sure. Look at Gwinnett, that chart shows only 10 tornadoes in Gwinnett from 1950-2007 and Gwinnett has a very large population, whereas counties like Carroll and Haralson which are much less populated have had more tornadoes reported from 1950-2007.
As I said, Cobb (and therefore Carroll, etc) DO fall into what we somewhat have as our own "tornado alley" in Georgia, so some of the counties on the West side do get some more than say, on the East metro side.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 PM

80 posts, read 227,018 times
What are the figures for Lumpkin, White, and Pickens? They look like zero's, but they're blue.

Ha! I'm in Forsyth, and we just get scared and crawl in the basement because one is shooting through Cherokee heading right for us. But they tend to jump over us and go slam Hall, lol.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 AM

37 posts, read 96,473 times
Cherokee gets a bad reputation for twisters, but I think its because the county covers such a large geographical area. Forsyth is small by comparison, but I think the tornados are just scared to go there...ahem.
My friend lives in Pickens and they tend to dissipate before they get that far north. My personal experience in that area is that the Ball Ground and Free Home area get hit rather frequently. Many of these start out near Carroll county (that's why they seem to get hit frequently) and the state line and head northeast through Cobb and Cherokee, and then who knows?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,093 times
Everywhere. We're all in "Dixie Alley." Didn't know that when I moved here. But I try not to worry about it. It was no better in Florida. But I have to admit...those storms on Mother's Day...I could have done without them. My suggestion: get a basement and pay attention to the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia