U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 12,750 times

Advertisements

I have been here for 10 years after spending 25 years in Fla. I have had no problems with the locals. oh yea Ive been called yan-kee, dam yan-kee,floridiot and a number of joking names. you can't worry what anybody thinks when its your decision to move and enjoy this wonderful land that GOD built. You see none of us has a claim on any of this land. We will die one day and it (the land) will go into someone elses hand. Remember Ellijay is the original starting point of the "the Trail of Tears" This is where Governor Gilmer (now Gilmer county) made the Indians leave thier home and marched them hundereds of miles across the US to the west in the dead of winter. Many died on the way, Check it out! There is a small monument that hardly anybody notices located in East Ellijay on 515 in front of the Econo station at the red light (the starting point). Many don't want to remember that. The locals here are very nice people who would be willing to do anything to help you here in Ellijay if you were in need. You just have to respect them as you would want to be respected if it was the other way around. I left Florida because I was sick of the crime,heat and wanted to see 4 seasons again. Im originally from Michigan by way of Chicago and Conn. Im a Vietnam era vet and have served this country along side people from all over this great nation. Ellijay has been the best place for us. My son graduated from Gilmer High and met his wife here. I agree, expansion is going to change this place. I saw what happened to Fla. after moving there in 1971. But as we all know you can't stop progress. Jobs are scarce paying anything over 7 to 8 bucks an hr. We were kind of self suffecient and made our own way here. But if your semi retired or can work for yourself it would make a difference. As progress increases jobs will too, but along with that so does the crime & taxes. as far as worrying about waht people would think about you as floridains, I would'nt even think about it. The beauty here keeps my mind off such things. So yall comeon and will see ya at the waffle house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM

276 posts, read 1,029,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I don't live in N. Georgia but have spent a substantial amount of time there, especially as a child and young adult. It makes me very sad reading of all the people who are planning to move to the area. Some of the things that makes the mountains so special is the feeling of remoteness and its natural beauty. With new housing communties dotting the landscape and the increased traffic on the narrow winding roads, I can't help but believe that the quality of life for the people living in the area will go down. Some may appreciate the potential income which comes from an increase in population, especially year round business, but if the trade offs are higher taxes and cost of living, I can't imagine many people will openly embrace the changes coming to the area.

You have to remember that much of the South values tradition, for good or bad, and overt changes to the culture cannot be comfortable to long-time residents. Many Floridians, especially those who are more "Northern" in their mannerisms are considered more pushy and less polite than the local population. It's not for me to say if this is true or not, I am simply trying to convey a general, cultural impression. And I do not believe that this is as much a continuation of the Civil War as it is simply old ways vs. new ways which are being imposed on long-time residents.

I imagine that this may be what you guessed and I personally appreciate the fact that you are asking these questions ahead of time. We all should be courteous of local residents when moving to a new area. It's simply common sense to take this in to account, don't you think?
Hi,
Just a few comments on your post.
I understand your frustration but I must disagree(at least THIS NORTHERN) it is unfair to lump us all together. I lived in MA and NH for 40 yrs and now live in FL. I appreciate the beauty of the areas which I have always lived in and I would respect and embrace the county and home values. That is after all what alot in other parts of the country lack. Sterotyples of norntherns being rude and less polite is really tragic. I am as northern as it gets and I am neither rude nor disrespectful of the land, people or traditions. I understand that some area but that is everywhere...We have southerns back home that would curl your hair ....I think it all comes down to attitude of all...Have a great day and thanks for your views...Much appreciated if not completely agreed with...Take Care

Old 06-15-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-haf-back View Post
I have been here for 10 years after spending 25 years in Fla. I have had no problems with the locals. oh yea Ive been called yan-kee, dam yan-kee,floridiot and a number of joking names. you can't worry what anybody thinks when its your decision to move and enjoy this wonderful land that GOD built. You see none of us has a claim on any of this land. We will die one day and it (the land) will go into someone elses hand. Remember Ellijay is the original starting point of the "the Trail of Tears" This is where Governor Gilmer (now Gilmer county) made the Indians leave thier home and marched them hundereds of miles across the US to the west in the dead of winter. Many died on the way, Check it out! There is a small monument that hardly anybody notices located in East Ellijay on 515 in front of the Econo station at the red light (the starting point). Many don't want to remember that. The locals here are very nice people who would be willing to do anything to help you here in Ellijay if you were in need. You just have to respect them as you would want to be respected if it was the other way around. I left Florida because I was sick of the crime,heat and wanted to see 4 seasons again. Im originally from Michigan by way of Chicago and Conn. Im a Vietnam era vet and have served this country along side people from all over this great nation. Ellijay has been the best place for us. My son graduated from Gilmer High and met his wife here. I agree, expansion is going to change this place. I saw what happened to Fla. after moving there in 1971. But as we all know you can't stop progress. Jobs are scarce paying anything over 7 to 8 bucks an hr. We were kind of self suffecient and made our own way here. But if your semi retired or can work for yourself it would make a difference. As progress increases jobs will too, but along with that so does the crime & taxes. as far as worrying about waht people would think about you as floridains, I would'nt even think about it. The beauty here keeps my mind off such things. So yall comeon and will see ya at the waffle house!
Thanks for the post. Wonderful outlook..I hope to be the same way if and when I move there..I am seriously considering it. I am concerned though because I am a born northerner and I dont want people to judge me b4 they even know me(or my family.) any impressions? WH...lol I used to work at one here in FL...Love thier coffee... I live in SWFL right now...Its beautiful but that is starting to disappear with the massive growth and the slow quiet is neither slow or quiet anymore...Sad....not to mention the expense. It is near impossible for every day ppl to be able to buy into the american dream here...more like a nightmare with taxes, insurances sky high...I know it is happending in more places then here but it just seems to be really outrageous here in a relatively short period of time. Take Care

Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 PM

209 posts, read 1,008,091 times
Sure, buy a vacation home up here in North Georgia, that may SEEM remote at the moment, but in 10 years, I guarantee wherever in N. Georgia you go, that the suburbs will make their mark, and continue to expand to the TN/NC border. I'm not sure if you like that sort of thing,but it is a reality,and nothing can be done about it.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:25 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,365,535 times
Quote:
Sure, buy a vacation home up here in North Georgia, that may SEEM remote at the moment, but in 10 years, I guarantee wherever in N. Georgia you go, that the suburbs will make their mark, and continue to expand to the TN/NC border. I'm not sure if you like that sort of thing,but it is a reality,and nothing can be done about it.
I look at it this way. My little cabin is in a very accessible area, but it is also remote. All of the houses around it are on about 10 acres, with some on 20-40 acres. I love the area right now. It is lush, green, can't see any other houses during the spring, summer and fall; and in the winter you get a nice view of the mountains. It's dead quiet. If all that changes, I figure that will just drive up the price of my little paradise. At that time, I might opt to sell out and find a more remote area. Or, I might decide to live there full time.

Nothing's perfect, and I'm not going to live forever. But, I see it this way. I made a little money on an investment and it's been a life long dream to have a place in the beautiful Georgia mountains with the intent on moving there some day. I could have waited until I could live there full time, and then miss out on all of the fun I'm having there now with my family. I would probably miss the very narrow opportunity where I could afford to buy the place now, when in the future as prices go up, it would quickly slip outside of my financial ability to purchase. I can allways sell it or exchange it - but I've got my little piece of Heaven on Earth locked in, no matter what I decide to do. And I thank God for it!

As far as what North Georgians think of me, I can't say that I don't care, because I do. I'd hope that they find me very respectful, nice, moral, and generally fun to be around; that's generally what I think of most of the people I've met in Rabun Co. We get along just fine. But, I recognize that not everybody is going to like me, and maybe just because I'm from Central Florida. This is no different than me carrying certain prejudices about outsiders moving into Central Florida. When it comes right down to it, I'm probably much more hardened in that regard than N. Georgians. I've been living with it for over 30 years. I've seen hoards of people move in; and most of the Central Floridians who are like myself had moved to Georgia and North Carolina over 25 years ago.

Last edited by Prichard; 06-15-2007 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUMPY2 View Post
Well your husbands right there are too many Floridians moving up to those areas preety soon theyll turn them into little Florida. If your fron Miami there will be a big difference in culture. You just have to slow down and respect the locals and dont try to change things. The locals of a lot of parts of North Georgia even people who moved from other states to Georgia are starting to really dislike all the Floridians coming up. But because of all yall most the locals are starting to move away or making plans too so soon yall will have your own little Florida in Georgia.
Wow talk about a hosile Georgian. Good think that is only one opinion. I agree with other posters that you must respect the land,culture and locals. Everywhere in the US is full of ppl that have moved from other parts...GA included and I dont see how wether we are from Boston or Naples why it should be blamed on those of us who choose to make a state that claims to be welcoming with souther hopsitality to all..Its stressed in all the websites talking or GA. I guess everyone is entitled to thier opinion. Some are just more open, respectful and hospitiable than others..Thanks everyone for the shares. I am not detered from coming and visiting your wonderful state and hopefully I to will make GA my home..and when I am asked what I think of Floridians or others coming I will share my heartfelt opinions and not my bias or judgements of a group of people that I dont even know..How sad that others dont share the same compassion...And there are many people that have moved from GA to FL and we welcome them with open arms...Change is good but with change comes some drawbacks no lie there but to blame one state for all another states issues (or perception of ) is just playing a blame game...IMHO..Have a great day Yall....straight from a Fl transplant...

Old 06-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I stil do not understand why the newcomers are "blamed' for the damage to the rural lifestyle and natural beauty. If the local landowners did not sell out to developers this would not be happening. Now, I understand why they do sell their property for millions but if these locals really valued the nature and remoteness they would either set aside the land or donate it to the park service, or pass it on to their families, not sell to the highest bidder. And furthermore, the way some locals take care of their rural area, I am talking about the dumping of trash etc. really makes me wonder if they really have an appreciation of the natural beauty of the area.
Thanks for your opinions. I would tend to agree with you just based on what is happending here in Fl and in other states I have lived. If we want ppl to appreciate our lands, cultures etc then it is our responsibiltiy to start with the man/woman in mirror in the first place...
Thanks so much for your share...Its important

Old 06-16-2007, 07:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,365,535 times
Boston or Naples...to rural North Georgia...

It's easy to say that no matter where you are from you are a "nice" person who most certainly would respect the locals. However, for many people from Boston or the North East urban areas, or even Florida transplants in general, this is much easier said than done.

Assume that you move to a small town like Morganton Georgia and buy a small house on 7 acres of land with some kids around 10 years old.

How would you answer these questions:

1. Do you have any problem with the neighbors letting their hunting dogs roam wild?

2. Are you a member of the NRA? Do you have guns? Do you like to Hunt?

3. Do you have any problem with your neighbor who lives on 80 acres shooting guns on his property?

4. Are you Catholic? Jewish? Non-religious or atheist? Or some other non-Protestant religion? How are you going to react when someone asks you what church you go to or invites you to their church?

5. How are you going to react when your 10 year old child comes home crying because some of the other kids at school make fun of the way she dresses, talks, acts, etc?

Rural N. Georgia has been a fairly homogenous area for over 150 years, until recently. Most of the natives there are White, Scots-Irish decent, Protestant, religious - compared to many other areas in the country, have a distinctly different dialect and way of saying things from even other Southerners, let alone Northerners.

Moving to Rural North Georgia isn't like moving to Naples Florida from Boston. Just imagine the culture shock of someone born and raised in Murphy North Carolina (just across the border from N. Georgia) moving to say ethnic Brooklyn New York, or liberal Boston Mass, and their 10 year old daughter attending public school or even a Catholic school. Think on that, and then you might start to understand why the local people get upset by an influx of people from places like Boston or Naples.

I really don't mean any dissrespect with what I've written. I just wanted to give a small sampling of some of the genuine fundemental differences between people from different areas of the country that can cause feelings of isolation, resentment, missunderstandings, ridicule, and offense that can sometimes cause strife between a local and a "half-back" - even when both have the best of intentions.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 AM

165 posts, read 600,502 times
I am moving up to N.G. I feel my husband and I our good people .I feel we can't control how others think. To me it's really about how we feel about ourself's What does it matter where we come from .This is life people move all over the country. Most people moving our looking for a nice place to be. I'm sure if we treat people as we like to be treated things will fall into place. I'm from the north lived in the south over 12 yrs never a problem with anyone.I feel live life enjoy your day's and be happy with yourself other will welcome you.

Last edited by info please; 06-16-2007 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: for got something

Old 06-16-2007, 07:18 PM

238 posts, read 607,115 times
mr prichard,

as a native floridian that made the move , i have to disagree with you on some things ( i have been here 10 mos now)

1. i have never been asked if i'm religous or do i attend church not even the locals.
2. i have not heard any gunshots yet and there are hillbillys behind us, we have met them and talk to them.

3. no dogs roaming around, but i do have a hen with chicks that come in the am and pm to peck around my bird feeders. they never come up to the house , just the back yard.

4. i do not make 8.00 an hour but 13.00 an hour.

5. i am 13 miles from the n.ga 400 outlet mall , we have a longhorns super walmart , home depot ect .
6. i have not had one georgian in any way be rude to me before or after they find out i'm a floridian
7. my comute is 37 miles one way and it takes me 30 min .

no increase on taxes or utilities but i have seen an increase in groceries and of course gas, but thats it. my location is ga 400 to hwy 136 up into the foothills to hwy 9 5 miles towards dahlonega. i am right between dawsonville and dahlonega 13 miles to whichever town i want to go too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or